What is Adam Woodbury's problem?

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I hate Iowa as much as the next guy but anybody who thinks that Woodbury is doing this on purpose has never played basketball before.

I've never seen anyone get poked in the eye while standing at the 3 point line. In the lane? Sure. But being face guarded at the 3 point line? Never. And he did it twice in a game.

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
Seems like the position and length of his arms is all wrong.

attachment.php

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Assuming he takes his cues from his horrible coach. Fran got all pissy at the media and brushed it off like no big deal. Now he is going on with Hassel to talk about it. Really stepping out of the comfort zone there, Fran. If Fran won't hold him accountable for his actions then why would he stop. He has now eye poked 3 players and 2 of them were their teams best player. Iowa probably wins today even if Trimble doesn't get gouged but he was turning it on at the time his eye was ripped out. Tell you what, Dan Dakich is laughing all the way to the bank on this one. God I wish he was calling this game!

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
I played a lot of basketball and maybe poked someone in the eye once.
I watched the Virginia Louisville game last night and the announcers were talking about why Virginia is so good at defense and one of the points they made was that they use their hands to obstruct the vision of the ball handler. They talked about all Virginia players are coached to put a hand in front of the eyes of the person with the ball so they cant see. It's the same technique when defenders close out on a shooter and they put their hand in front of the shooter's eyes instead of trying to block the shot. Woodbury has probably used his hands to try and obstruct the vision of an opponent a thousand times. Woodbury probably just misjudged the distance, it happens.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I hate Iowa as much as the next guy but anybody who thinks that Woodbury is doing this on purpose has never played basketball before.

And all those pictures showing Woodbury holding the opponent's arm down during jump balls are also examples of unintentional acts. Give me a break. And, yes, I've played a ton of basketball.

balken

Apr 14, 2006

Good point. I don't think AD, "The Wood from the Hood," is coordinated enough to accomplish this once let alone three time.

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
I've never seen anyone get poked in the eye while standing at the 3 point line. In the lane? Sure. But being face guarded at the 3 point line? Never. And he did it twice in a game.
I have. I've seen defenders close out on shooters and instead of trying to block the shot they put the hand in front of eyes to obstruct the vision and they have gotten poked in the eye and in those cases there's usually a foul.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
He's done it 3 times in two weeks. Pretty much all that needs to be said.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
I have. I've seen defenders close out on shooters and instead of trying to block the shot they put the hand in front of eyes to obstruct the vision and they have gotten poked in the eye and in those cases there's usually a foul.

Lol wut? You've seen that more than once?

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Eddy Hightower would have called the foul on Md

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
I was just over at HN (observation only) and some of the mouthbreathers are going with the "why would Adam do it intentionally when he's already under scrutiny for the other two times? Do you think he's that stupid?"

Do I have to answer that question? Or can we just assume the answer?

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011

When you close out and get a hand in the face it is common for the hand to be up. The shooter would see the palm of your hand. Woodbury has his palm down and fingers towards the face.

I'm not sure if he is doing it on purpose or not. The only person who knows is him. I'm simply saying I've never seen a guy pat an offensive player on the head and then poke him in the eye as he stands out at the 3 point line. I'm guessing you haven't either.