What I know about the McNeil situation: part 2

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
i get that this is all typical recruiting crap, and that its all about bball....

but can you imagine being a kid from houston, thinking you're going to play in a small town, iowa college in front of 14k every night....to going to Cal Berkeley? Huge city campus, basketball irrelevant to 99.9% of the student body, for a completely unknown head coach and a much tougher academic environment?? Talk about a change!
I drove around Berkley. It is nothing special as a school for its facade.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't know how you can say that any of the assistants are good or elite recruiters. Prohm is the best recruiter on the staff and he is the reason they have Wigginton and the reason they still got Lewis after TJ left.

• Agree
Reactions: nallen34

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It was a pirate emoji from the old site that was used to indicate sarcasm.

It needs to be brought back.

The sarcasm jimlad is not necessary.

Attachments

• jimlad.png
    jimlad.png
    922 bytes · Views: 6

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
No... Carter, Ernst, and Kasongo all left because they weren't good enough to get minutes. Not because the staff wasn't going to give them the minutes they deserved.
Plus Ernst left two years ago when we still had our big guys

• Disagree
Reactions: isutrevman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't know how you can say that any of the assistants are good or elite recruiters. Prohm is the best recruiter on the staff and he is the reason they have Wigginton and the reason they still got Lewis after TJ left.

College basketball teams are relatively intimate affairs, with a few dozen people directly involved, compared to football, which will have a few hundred involved.

Ergo, a head basketball coach is more a "manager" and less an "executive" for the program. A head basketball coach can and should be involved in each and every important recruit for the future of the program. I am sure Campbell is in on some of his own and some of the big ones, but no way he can track all of them. He has to manage and marshal a team as a whole, while Prohm can dig into landing Wiggi and Lewis and the like.

There is nothing bad about having your head coach as your main recruiter -- heck, that is how most programs do it. Hoiberg's disinterest in it (save like Niang) and delegation of it to TJ and Matt A was more of an exception than the norm for college ball.

Not that I would not take a guy with the ins on the transfer market that Matt A had and the high school gems that TJ found. I hope Pollard still has TJ's mobile number -- not wishing Prohm not to work out or to leave, but you always got to have a backup plan.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Well, assistants do more than just recruit. Prohm seems to like recruiting and is good at it himself, so maybe he likes assistants that are good at other things like game planning, running practices, player development, and actually teaching the game. There is nothing wrong the the head coach doing the bulk of the recruiting. I'm guessing Calipari does most of it for Kentucky.

Hoiberg was clearly really good at everything else a coach needs to do, but didn't like recruiting so he relied on his assistant to do the bulk of it. There is nothing wrong with that either, as long as it works.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
College basketball teams are relatively intimate affairs, with a few dozen people directly involved, compared to football, which will have a few hundred involved.

Ergo, a head basketball coach is more a "manager" and less an "executive" for the program. A head basketball coach can and should be involved in each and every important recruit for the future of the program. I am sure Campbell is in on some of his own and some of the big ones, but no way he can track all of them. He has to manage and marshal a team as a whole, while Prohm can dig into landing Wiggi and Lewis and the like.

There is nothing bad about having your head coach as your main recruiter -- heck, that is how most programs do it. Hoiberg's disinterest in it (save like Niang) and delegation of it to TJ and Matt A was more of an exception than the norm for college ball.

Not that I would not take a guy with the ins on the transfer market that Matt A had and the high school gems that TJ found. I hope Pollard still has TJ's mobile number -- not wishing Prohm not to work out or to leave, but you always got to have a backup plan.

I am guessing brevity is not one of your strengths.

Inspired

Mar 18, 2012
Not to mention the programs that go that route seem to get one or two good recruiting classes, do absolutely nothing with them, then the whole staff is fired when the AD realizes all the coaches can do is recruit and suck at coaching (UNLV, Washington, LSU)

Are you referring to recruiting on the AAU circuit generally, or hiring AAU coaches to staff positions? The former approach is what almost all successful NCAA programs do. The latter is an occasional approach for some that doesn't always work out so well.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Are you referring to recruiting on the AAU circuit generally, or hiring AAU coaches to staff positions? The former approach is what almost all successful NCAA programs do. The latter is an occasional approach for some that doesn't always work out so well.
I was referring to actually hiring the AAU coach.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron