What I know about the McNeil situation: part 2

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If McNeil doesn't understand that we still have 2 scholarships left to fill, so we might grab a guard, then he must not like competition, in which case, maybe we don't want him?

Do you think Wigginton is afraid of competition? He wants to be a one and done player. That's the kind of confidence I like to see.

Clonedude -- have you ever saw a shrInk?

Reactions: YeahBuddy

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If McNeil doesn't understand that we still have 2 scholarships left to fill, so we might grab a guard, then he must not like competition, in which case, maybe we don't want him?

Do you think Wigginton is afraid of competition? He wants to be a one and done player. That's the kind of confidence I like to see.

tenor.gif

• Funny
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
We need another TJ or even a scumbag like Matt A.
Matt A was a terrible high school recruiter which led to us reaching on guys like Tevon Sledge and Okoro. TJ was good for Midwest guys though. I think our recruiting has been fine so far. We've just had a few terrible breaks with McNeil and malou. Nothing the coaches can really do about that.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
What irritates me is that is the mentality that a chosen 8 (6 guards) play every game regardless of deficiencies, fouls, matchups, player development, or fatigue. The other players sit out all season. When a forward goes out, he is replaced by a guard - doesn't matter that we are terrible at rebounding or defending the paint. It is no wonder Ernst, Carter, and Kasongo have left - they are guaranteed no playing time in a guard oriented system. We had 3 outstanding guards last year that made that system functional. Now, we are left with very few bits and pieces.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
What irritates me is that is the mentality that a chosen 8 (6 guards) play every game regardless of deficiencies, fouls, matchups, player development, or fatigue. The other players sit out all season. When a forward goes out, he is replaced by a guard - doesn't matter that we are terrible at rebounding or defending the paint. It is no wonder Ernst, Carter, and Kasongo have left - they are guaranteed no playing time in a guard oriented system. We had 3 outstanding guards last year that made that system functional. Now, we are left with very few bits and pieces.

An interesting take I guess.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Our class drops to 53rd from 30th on 247 composite if McNeil is dropped.
Ugh. That's a huge drop. Will be annoying being behind Iowa in the rankings when it really wasn't the staffs fault. Crossing my fingers Lindell and Terrence are 100% locked in. I can't even describe how catastrophic it would be to lose one of those guys.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ugh. That's a huge drop. Will be annoying being behind Iowa in the rankings when it really wasn't the staffs fault. Crossing my fingers Lindel and Terrence are 100% locked in. I can't even describe how catastrophic it would be to lose one of those guys.

Absolutely no reason to believe that this is anything other than one kid's decision, and I've never seen a loss or win appear on the schedule merely from a recruiting ranking. Wigginton and Lewis are two outstanding recruits, and would both be gems of your average recruiting class. Hopefully we can fill at least a couple of the open scholarships with quality players, but we'll be fine.

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames

No... Carter, Ernst, and Kasongo all left because they weren't good enough to get minutes. Not because the staff wasn't going to give them the minutes they deserved.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
If McNeil doesn't understand that we still

have 2 scholarships left to fill, so we might grab a guard, then he must not like competition, in which case, maybe we don't want him?

Do you think Wigginton is afraid of competition? He wants to be a one and done player. That's the kind of confidence I like to see.[/QUOTE

Was expecting the we don't want him reference. Still waiting for the we recruited over him and the default excuse that the recruit was offered a large bag of money elsewhere. Or the he could not qualfy with our strict academic standards. Possibly this staff just doesn't have it.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Maybe this is a hard way of looking at a situation like this but I wouldn't grant him his release. This close to when he is suppose to be here and how bad of a spot he will be putting us in . If he really wants out after his first year then make him transfer out and have to sit out a year. He's got to understand that we might be doing him a huge favor in not letting him go to a crappy program that will do nothing for him.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Was expecting the we don't want him reference. Still waiting for the we recruited over him and the default excuse that the recruit was offered a large bag of money elsewhere. Or the he could not qualfy with our strict academic standards. Possibly this staff just doesn't have it.
Doesn't have what?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Yeah lol Darius is 100% not coming back to Iowa State. Sounds like things, uhh, ended very badly.

What exactly do you mean "ended very badly". Did you hear something specific? Or are you just referring to our staff being shocked and disappointed? Or did something on our end turn the kid to rethink?

Reactions: aauummm

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Did I ever mention on this board that Darius used to DM me after all his games basically begging me to tweet his stats so he could retweet them? Well because of that I thought he owed me some answers lol.

Me: "Darius, are you going to explain why you aren't coming to Iowa State anymore?"

Darius: "No need to. They know why !!!!"

Me: "Well what happened? I thought you were excited about coming to Ames?"

Darius: "I was until things hit the fan!!! I'm doing what's best for me and my family now."

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Recruiting skill has absolutely nothing to do with why we lost McNeil.
I understand what you mean here but personally this recruiting staff has been a disappointment. And I saw that feeling very confident that Wiggington (obviously), Lewis, and Lard will be an awesome core for us in the years to come.

I get it; we don't play dirty, we won't play dirty, yada yada yada. But at some point we gotta pay to get some coaches on the staff that aren't going to lose the vast majority of these types of weird shady battles. You just NEVER hear of Iowa State doing well in these types of situations. It feels so easy to poach our recruits or convince them not to sign with us.