What game or event made you a Cyclone for life?

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
Cyclone since birth. My parents had season tickets since I can remember. Been going to games for as long as I can remember. Have no idea how many games I’ve been to. Lots! Home and away. Both my parents have ISU degrees, I have one and my sister has 2. Seen lots of great games and some that rip your heart out.

Basketball: The Naz Long dagger vs OSU that sent the game to OT was great! Lafester’s 54 points vs Iowa. Awesome games that I remember clearly. I was at ISU 1997-2001 so I saw a lot of great basketball.
The KU game when Georges got the foul while laying on the floor was brutal. Back in 2005 I took my future wife to the Colorado game that we lost in overtime 52-54 and she couldn’t understand why I liked the Cyclones so much after watching that.

Football: carrying the goalposts to lake Laverne after Dan McCarney’s conference win over Baylor was fun. It was my first football win as an ISU student.
So many football disasters to list. I’m not even going to try.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It was engrained in me early and often.

They were rarely on TV for football (we didn't have cable or the FSN channel) so we just listened on the radio.
I watched way more basketball once I was old enough to understand the game.

Saturday or Sunday afternoons catching the Phillips 66 games are something I like thinking about.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Troy started it for me in my youth. But I was on the on one of the hills for The Run. That was it, they had me. Watching him reenact that last season at halftime got me more emotional than I was expecting.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
September 12, 1998. I was ten, and Iowa State had never beat Iowa in my lifetime. I was always an Iowa State fan over Iowa, but not by much. I’d cheer for both teams, but for ISU if they were playing each other since they were the ag school.

That day, I was filled with so much excitement I knew that Iowa State was my team full stop and never looked back.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Deandre Kane and that season

rlq1Rx.gif

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
There was never any specific game or event. When I went to Iowa State the first time in 1971, I just naturally followed the Cyclones. My first experience with Iowa State was when Martinez Denmon was the leading scorer in 1971. Clint Harris was the second leading scorer and sophomore Eric Heft was a bench player on that team. Then, I just remember listening to Iowa State basketball on the radio with Hercle Ivy in 73-74 and Andrew Parker later in 78 when I was no longer in school.

Reactions: NWICY

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Fall 1996: my acceptance letter to ISU arrived in my mailbox. I hadn’t even gotten around to sending out applications to other colleges besides ISU at that point, and after that I didn’t bother.

It was also the moment I stopped being an Iowa fan.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
An equal combination of the following:
* Listening to Pete Taylor
* Big Vic Alexander
* 1992 Nebraska football game
* Going to away games with Big 8 foes
* Jim Walden, Johnny Orr and bartles and James marketing campaign
* ISUCFVMB - hearing Pete say that
* Yellow corvettes and hot tubs