What does a successful tournament look like for the Big 12?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Outside of the Frogs, the first day turned out pretty much as expected. Naturally, Smart wasn't. And OU got what they deserved. Still, four remaining meets expectations for me.

Glad to see KState beat McDoormat even without Wade.
Is Wade out for the next game as well?

Reactions: isutrevman

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I've got WVU over Marshall, Seaton Hall beating Ku, K-State over UMBC, and TxT over Florida. Big12 teams all favorites, 'cept TxT which is a pickem v. Florida.

Dean is day2day. No one knows but coach Weber and Wade. I'm confident he won't play in the next game.

Last edited:

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Big East and Big 12 probably the least unscathed. ACC still has a lot of upside though even with UVA loss.

Big Ten needs a good second round with so few teams making it.

Pac was a train wreck of unprecedented level and SEC did not look great.
The SEC went 6-2 with only the Mizzou train wrerck and Butler beating Arkansas as their only blemishes.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Since ISU isn't in it's already a failure. It could be an all B12 Final 4 or they could all lose their next game. I don't care. It's a crap shoot at this point. Have a bad game...go home. The tournament gods don't care what conference you are from. I tire of the conference arguments during this time of year.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Outside of the Frogs, the first day turned out pretty much as expected. Naturally, Smart wasn't. And OU got what they deserved. Still, four remaining meets expectations for me.

Ku will have their hands full with The Hall, a sleeper Elite8 quality team.

You left out the part where the purple kitties get the easiest path to a Sweet 16 ever seen.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Umm. I said Sweet 16 where you have to beat a 16 seed. A team that nobody will ever remember besides it was a bunch of letters and they had a tiny guy run all over Virginia.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Umm. I said Sweet 16 where you have to beat a 16 seed. A team that nobody will ever remember besides it was a bunch of letters and they had a tiny guy run all over Virginia.
Cats are ten point favorites v. the Retrievers. WVU -12 v. Marshall.:p

Would not surprise to see a quarter of the Sweet 16 wearing Big 12 patches. Way beyond my expectations if it happens.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
This is true and I'm happy they have a good shot at being another Big XII team. They should just admit they a Huge break playing the first 16 seed in the round of 32.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Welp, league's top two in the Sweet16 already. Could be a quarter of the field by tomorrow night. Both WVU and K-State being favorites.

Last edited:

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Welp, league's top two in the Sweet16 already. Could be a quarter of the field by tomorrow night. Both WVU and State being favorites.
How dare you refer to purple Kansas as State on this site.

Yes 4 of 16 is probable based on seeding. Could get 3 of 8 too but that's less likely again based in seeding.

• Funny
Reactions: DurangoCy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Big12 conference standings seem to be a reliable indicator this year. I guess all that RPI, BPI, quadrant stuff doesn't necessarily apply to court performance.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Big12 conference standings seem to be a reliable indicator this year. I guess all that RPI, BPI, quadrant stuff doesn't necessarily apply to court performance.
It's called the luck of the draw. KSU drew a team that wet the bed and played scared while TCU drew a team that play confident and fear free. Hats off to KSU for executing well. For Kansas' bank account, I hope you win your next game as well but I'll be honest, seeing Bruce Weber become the 2nd team to lose to a #16 seed would make me laugh. Just cheering for an entertaining game in that one.

Reactions: Raider

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Right, Jamie Dixon's 6th seed TCU (earlier beaten two out of three by Weber) just drew a tougher opponent than 9 seed K-State. After all, Syracuse had to win a play-in, thus they were way tougher than 8 seed, Big East #3 Creighton.

And let's not forget, Big East #4 Seaton Hall was way better than the #3 Jays as well even though Creighton beat SH by ~20 earlier in the year. Head2head means nothing.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Right, Jamie Dixon's 6th seed TCU (earlier beaten two out of three by Weber) just drew a tougher opponent than 9 seed K-State. After all, Syracuse had to win a play-in, thus they were way tougher than 8 seed, Big East #3 Creighton.

And let's not forget, Big East #4 Seaton Hall was way better than the #3 Jays as well even though Creighton beat SH by ~20 earlier in the year. Head2head means nothing.
Except when KU beats KSU head to head 3 times in one season by a combined 31 points. That means something...

• Winner
Reactions: Raider

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

You're drunk.

Bottom line, that Syracuse zone is a nightmare to have to play in a tourney setting. ACC coaches and players have played against it enough to know how to handle it but to see it for the first time in the tourney is another animal altogether. Your reliance on seed numbers, win numbers and conference standings as some sort of accurate measure of the quality of a team is tiring. You'd think after this long that you would start to see the bigger picture.