What do you think of Caitlin Clark?

What is your perspective about Caitlin Clark?

• Team Steph. I am at least somewhat supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports.

Votes: 128 33.7%
  • Team Alisa. I don't care about Caitlin Clark because she is a Hokeye.

Votes: 232 61.1%
  • Team Steph/Alisa. Please explain how you reconcile these two apparently mutually exclusive options.

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Is CC a great talent, yes. Does she do some exciting things, yes. That is where it ends for me.
It will be interesting to see how she handles the defensive pressure of S Carolina. Maybe I missed seeing it, but no one touches her. I would love to see how she would react to just getting ground on with hard, physical fouls like you see with S Carolina and LSU. Also, her biggest highlight is her last second shot against IU. Congrats to her for making the shot but an absolutely terrible defensive strategy by IU on that play. They put weak on ball pressure and single covered CC. That was bad.
I also dislike CC because there is a possible romantic connection between her and Connor McA$$hat. I don't know if it is a "birds of a feather," thing or if all the time with Connor, she has taken on his persona.
Can you imagine a whole new line of McCaffrey offspring to come thru the ranks at Iowa in 20 years or so time? They might actually be half decent with Clark blood.

• Funny
Reactions: Cycsk

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Not sure about officially, but she is making over a million a year and that will probably continue to grow as popular as she is. which is WAY more than the WNBA players get.
This was discussed before, but I could see her not only coming back for a senior year, but also using her COVID year. She could make a ton of money and set a bunch of college basketball records over the next two years.
I don't keep up with the landscape really of College WBB. Assuming they don't win the title this year, would they be the favorites to win it all the next 2 years if she came back for both?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That's the thing, she will stick around because WNBA players are capped at 250K area for 1-4 in the draft. The players that may want to go to Iowa now have to determine if they are willing to not play as much that extra year. It's not just her or Iowa, I'm tired of it even with ISU athletes. I don't hold it against the player because it is just an opportunity that is presented to them, I just am tired of the whole extra year thing. I'm ready for all these extra year people to give way to the kids who don't get the extra year automatically.
Clark still has two more years left of eligibility and I expect she will utilize both years because she can probably make more money in college than she can in the WNBA.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't keep up with the landscape really of College WBB. Assuming they don't win the title this year, would they be the favorites to win it all the next 2 years if she came back for both?
I think a lot will come down to who their post player will be. I wasn't highly impressed with their backups. Their starter is very accurate but the backups didn't appear to be. Then again, my opinion can't be the voice her, because I don't think I've seen a whole game of Iowa at once. I've seen a quarter of a game her and there only.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think a lot will come down to who their post player will be. I wasn't highly impressed with their backups. Their starter is very accurate but the backups didn't appear to be. Then again, my opinion can't be the voice her, because I don't think I've seen a whole game of Iowa at once. I've seen a quarter of a game her and there only.
Yeah, same, I can't sit and watch a full game. Usually it's because they're winning and I don't want them to win if I'm being honest.

From what I've seen of their freshman big from one of the Cedar Rapids schools, name is escaping me, she looks pretty talented but raw still.

I also have a theory that in this day and age with the free transfer rule in place, Iowa could be an attractive place for other talented players to flock to this offseason. Get a chance to play with the transcendent Caitlin Clark and make a deep tournament run or possibly win it all, that will be a nice selling point to kids in the portal. Unfortunately.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
This is all so funny to me. She is a generational type of player who is changing the WBB game. Crazy talent that led her team to the Final 4. But she plays for my favorite team’s arch rival. Therefore I do not root for her. I think what she’s doing is great for the sport and don’t wish I’ll upon her, but I’m not actively going to cheer for a hawk. Don’t get what’s so hard to understand about that.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah, same, I can't sit and watch a full game. Usually it's because they're winning and I don't want them to win if I'm being honest.

From what I've seen of their freshman big from one of the Cedar Rapids schools, name is escaping me, she looks pretty talented but raw still.

I also have a theory that in this day and age with the free transfer rule in place, Iowa could be an attractive place for other talented players to flock to this offseason. Get a chance to play with the transcendent Caitlin Clark and make a deep tournament run or possibly win it all, that will be a nice selling point to kids in the portal. Unfortunately.
This is where a player like Clark can determine a lot of things. She can make 250k going pro. So anything over that encourages her to stay at Iowa. Now if she would demand a 750k NIL deal, that could suck down a lot of money for the collective or whatever Iowa has. Would a transfer be willing to come to Iowa for quite a bit less than what they could get elsewhere to just play with her? Does she say, pay me what I am giving up on the pro level and use that to bring a big transfer in? No idea from me.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This is where a player like Clark can determine a lot of things. She can make 250k going pro. So anything over that encourages her to stay at Iowa. Now if she would demand a 750k NIL deal, that could suck down a lot of money for the collective or whatever Iowa has. Would a transfer be willing to come to Iowa for quite a bit less than what they could get elsewhere to just play with her? Does she say, pay me what I am giving up on the pro level and use that to bring a big transfer in? No idea from me.
This could be as close to a LeBron situation in the college game as we're ever going to see. Caitlin will be team MVP, coach and GM before long.

Joking aside, I will be paying close attention to this. To me it doesn't seem like the WNBA will be lucrative enough to draw her away from Iowa. At least not this year. Maybe next, but who knows? I will be curious to see how much Iowa is willing to put out for NIL, although will that ever be public knowledge?

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
This is all so funny to me. She is a generational type of player who is changing the WBB game. Crazy talent that led her team to the Final 4. But she plays for my favorite team’s arch rival. Therefore I do not root for her. I think what she’s doing is great for the sport and don’t wish I’ll upon her, but I’m not actively going to cheer for a hawk. Don’t get what’s so hard to understand about that.
1) I’m not sure she’s a generational talent. Oregon just had a player that had 26 triple doubles a few years ago.
2) I’m not sure she’s changing the game. If so, how?
3) I think Clark is great at basketball.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
That's the thing, she will stick around because WNBA players are capped at 250K area for 1-4 in the draft. The players that may want to go to Iowa now have to determine if they are willing to not play as much that extra year. It's not just her or Iowa, I'm tired of it even with ISU athletes. I don't hold it against the player because it is just an opportunity that is presented to them, I just am tired of the whole extra year thing. I'm ready for all these extra year people to give way to the kids who don't get the extra year automatically.
Not only that, I feel like she has more name recognition at the college level. I know her mission is to increase the visibility of women's sports and get younger generations excited and involved. I think she is probably most successful at this at the college level.

Reactions: tavrncy

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
1) I’m not sure she’s a generational talent. Oregon just had a player that had 26 triple doubles a few years ago.
2) I’m not sure she’s changing the game. If so, how?
3) I think Clark is great at basketball.
I'm not a huge WBB guy, but when's the last time a player in the women's game was hitting 25 3's all game?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I think she stays at Iowa due to her love of the university and enjoyment of playing there. Since the majority of her NIL $ seem to be more national then local, she would probably retain those while picking up the $250k WNBA salary if she went pro. Economic dollar wise, probably better to go pro, but with emotional attachments, I expect her to stay two more years. It's not like she is scrapping by now and needs the additional WNBA $ to live on.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
She is flashier than Sabrina Ionescu. Sabrina is really efficient. She also played in Oregon and Pac 12 definitely get less exposure than B1G 10.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Can't say I have watched more than 5 minutes of Clark on TV.. The most womens basketball I watched on TV in the last year was the fourth quarter of the Big 12 tournament a couple weeks ago... Having said that, growing up watching my sister play AAU basketball, I can confidently say that anything that makes the sport more enjoyable to watch is greatly needed. Elite guard play and elite shooting will help that 100%. Women's basketball since forever has mostly been about having the biggest girls who can dominate down low... That is equivalent to watching grass grow..

Just my thoughts but women's basketball at ISU for me is a great option to get my kids introduced to a quieter/calmer Hilton, live sports, and meeting Cy.. The product on the court is reason 1566546115464 why I go to the games.

tavrncy

Mar 29, 2023
MLB opening day?

Did Des Moines get a major league team while I wasn't paying attention? Local sports radio here is always going to prioritize college when there's a big story in one of the major sports. This is the biggest sports story in the state right now they're gonna talk about it. It's not a bias thing

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Did Des Moines get a major league team while I wasn't paying attention? Local sports radio here is always going to prioritize college when there's a big story in one of the major sports. This is the biggest sports story in the state right now they're gonna talk about it. It's not a bias thing
Are you aware where I-Cubs end up? Are you aware of the I-Cubs?

tavrncy

Mar 29, 2023
I think she stays at Iowa due to her love of the university and enjoyment of playing there. Since the majority of her NIL $ seem to be more national then local, she would probably retain those while picking up the $250k WNBA salary if she went pro. Economic dollar wise, probably better to go pro, but with emotional attachments, I expect her to stay two more years. It's not like she is scrapping by now and needs the additional WNBA $ to live on.

The bigger ones probably will sure but she's a lot more valuable to those companies as a college player than she is as a pro player, women's college basketball is a lot more popular. All of those companies are going to want her to stay as long as she can.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Can you imagine Clark and McCaffrey having kids? They would be the whiniest, entitled, temper tantrum kids you would ever want to meet.

Clark is a good player, but selfish and a colossal whiner.

Reactions: isufbcurt
Status
Not open for further replies.