What Changes Made ?

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
I don't understand why more people don't go to VB Matches. It's exciting, easy to understand, and fun to watch.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I don't understand why more people don't go to VB Matches. It's exciting, easy to understand, and fun to watch.

I think volleyball is growing as a spectator sport. At one time it was focused on the west coast, but as someone else said their are a lot more quality players in the Midwest now. I know in the KC area, I went to one HS tournament where there were something like five teams ranked in the top thirty in the country at the time, and they were all from Kansas and Missouri.

Alison Landwehr was considered the top player in the Missouri her senior year, and she wasn't even on one of the premier teams in the state. As far as I can tell Iowa and Nebraska high schools are doing just as well.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I imagine we'd have to be averaging over 10,000 paying customers to really think of making a profit.

While sports like Volleyball, WBB will never have enough interest to turn a profit, at ISU they do a great job of at least providing some financial input. We should feel fortunate for that.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
While sports like Volleyball, WBB will never have enough interest to turn a profit, at ISU they do a great job of at least providing some financial input. We should feel fortunate for that.

The other thing they do is increase the school's profile, particularly with women and families. Make Mom and the kids happy, you get the attention of the lother half:smile: as well. Any kind of success can't but help with donations.

Reactions: jsmith86

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
As of about two years ago, volleyball is actually the second-most-played sport in the world (behind soccer, of course). I believe it overtook basketball for that honor. There are a LOT of people out there playing it at one level or another.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
As of about two years ago, volleyball is actually the second-most-played sport in the world (behind soccer, of course). I believe it overtook basketball for that honor. There are a LOT of people out there playing it at one level or another.

Yep and believe it or not there is actually boys club teams sprouting up in Iowa. Ankeny has one for sure that I'm aware of.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I think Coach Johnson-Lynch has done a great job building a fan base.

One of the ideas was if you live in Ames and ordered a season ticket, the team delivered the season ticket to you personally.
Cyclones Make Special Delivery - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

Sometimes I wonder why ESPN is more interested in broadcasting the Iron Man, Poker, etc instead of featuring volleyball. No offense, but Volleyball is really popular around the world. There's a world league volleyball that pits top volleyball teams (Men's and Women's) and a lot of countries have their own pro volleyball leagues.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Yep and believe it or not there is actually boys club teams sprouting up in Iowa. Ankeny has one for sure that I'm aware of.

Good to hear.

We had a club team when I was in high school back in '88-89 - there were 3 in fact. My brother played from age 16-18 in the mid 90's But it really died off after his time. As has much of the adult leagues, particularly men's in recent years.

Glad to see some kids are getting back into it.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Winning culture.

Top flight setter - and it all goes from there. CJL was an All-American setter. Was coached by a top setting coach in Terry Pettit. Kinda like QB in football or PG in basketball.... it all starts there.

She got talent - and is overly qualified to develop it. Prove you'll have good/great setters... and the rest of the talent will follow.

Yup, a great setter who can put it where you want it makes all the difference in the world.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I think Coach Johnson-Lynch has done a great job building a fan base.

One of the ideas was if you live in Ames and ordered a season ticket, the team delivered the season ticket to you personally.
Cyclones Make Special Delivery - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

Sometimes I wonder why ESPN is more interested in broadcasting the Iron Man, Poker, etc instead of featuring volleyball. No offense, but Volleyball is really popular around the world. There's a world league volleyball that pits top volleyball teams (Men's and Women's) and a lot of countries have their own pro volleyball leagues.

I'd love to see the tv poker thing die. It really ticks me off when nothing else is on so I flip to ESPN and it's freaking poker. I'm sure it's cheap programming for them, but its not like there aren't enough actual sports to cover.