What can ISU learn from Iowa's Mistakes?

musicboy

Apr 10, 2006
Obviously the University of Iowa has completed mishandled this entire sexual assault situation. What steps can ISU take to make sure to handle a similar situation better if something were to happen in the near future. This is going to give EIU a huge black eye for awhile - much bigger than the one Eustachy gave to us. How can we avoid such a dark cloud in Ames?

Last edited:

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
by keeping JP on staff.

-keep

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Don't huff glue. That is about the only thing that I can think of that would make people in their position make the decisions they made.

Reactions: Cybone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
ISU already has. There was an incident back around 1999 that was said to involve two players and the sister of another player. Both players involved were booted right away, and were left to fend for themselves during the legal process -- no coddling from athletics staff.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Be sure that if there is a ever a situation that should involve the proper authorities, they are involved.

If there is ever a situation at Iowa State where an investigation should take place and it is handled 'in house' I would hope there would be serious repercussions for those involved, swiftly

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Athletic Department's job: to oversee the operations of the athletic programs at ISU

Police Department's job: to investigate possible criminal activity

Court System's job: to hear evidence in said criminal activity, determine guilt, and determine necessary punishment.

Seems simple doesn't it? I would hope we have people in charge at ISU that won't have a problem with that concept.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Just make all Athletic department employess Mandatory Reporters, much like most state employees and have them call the police and let them handle it. There is no reason for the athletic department to play Judge, Jury, and Executioner in a criminal case.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
I asked a social worker I know about the "mandatory reporter" thing.

Mandatory reporting only occurs with a minor (under 18) or a dependent adult.

Mandatory reporting wouldn't apply in the case of this alleged victim. Which is why I assume that the hospital staff didn't report the incident to police.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
I think Jon Miller put it best on one of his posts in that the policy on handling an alleged sexual assault should be: Step One – “Call the freaking police.”

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron