What are you reading?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Finished "Guns, Germs, and Steel" this weekend. It's compared to "Sapiens" often but IMO they're quite different, and two completely different writing styles. GGS is a bit drier, more straight-forward, more detailed. Wish there was a more recent edition/update - published in 1998, I think.
I liked this one. A lot to take away from reading it.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I should probably participate in the topic here:

I just finished The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoevsky) and am currently reading/almost finished with The Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas).

On deck was Into Thin Air (Krakauer; I’ve read Into the Wild and Under the Banner of Heaven), but I think I’m going to bump it for Tower of Skulls: A History of the Asia-Pacific War (which I mentioned above).
I absolutely devoured Into Thin Air. Could not put it down. When you finish that read K2 Life and Death on the Worlds Most Dangerous Mountain.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I saw this one when I ended up going with Tower of Skulls. Only reason I skipped it is because it covers through 1945.

I’ll probably read it eventually, but I was thinking a book spanning 1936-1945 would be too broad for what I’m looking for, unless it’s like 2,500 pages :D

I’ve heard about the US causing a lot of issues for Japan in the South Pacific many years before WWII.
We certainly did. Enough that we should have been well aware that our actions were tantamount to a declaration of war (and thus not have been caught unaware at the start).

Reactions: enisthemenace

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021

I just finished The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoevsky) and am currently reading/almost finished with The Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas).

On deck was Into Thin Air (Krakauer; I’ve read Into the Wild and Under the Banner of Heaven), but I think I’m going to bump it for Tower of Skulls: A History of the Asia-Pacific War (which I mentioned above).

I like to read a classic from time to time. That one was soooo good. So much excellent and relatable dialogue! I have been wanting to read The Idiot next. Maybe I'm not the smartest fellow because Dostoevsky is a pretty tough read for me. It can be hard to get the motivation for the challenge sometimes.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I think Salem's Lot is why I think long and hard before I invite anyone into my house.
It scared the **** out of me when I read it years and years ago...but a lot of it is because it was the first book I read where the author build's up a central character so much only to see bad things happen and I was like holy ****...not even main characters are safe. Which I love but was also like fuckk!

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Oh sheeeeeit! I think Barlow is hiding in the school!

Gonna finish this one up today on audio. You are right, freaking awesome.

I have really enjoyed King. Too bad I am so late to the party. We can blame my conservative upbringing (which wasn't all bad or anything). But King, The Simpsons, and Al Bundy were off limits.

Among many things, one of the reasons I enjoy his writing is because I love grappling with the big questions of life. He does a great job making you ponder things like death and desperation (Pet Sem) and the what is real questions (Salems Lot). For instance, there are numerous lines I have thought about quoting in the Religion thread. Mix in some great characters, some mystery, and some scares, and I'm set!

What is next for me on audio? It doesn't have to be King, but I will say I have enjoyed King many times more than Malfi if that helps! FYI I am currently reading The Stand on Kindle.
Also, read the Natchez Burning trilogy by Greg Iles. Actually, read anything by him...just ******* awesome stuff. True Evil is great by him too.

And Killers of the Flower Moon which is a true story and being made into a movie this year by Scorcese and starring DiCaprio. It's unbelievable and superb and fascinating.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I like to read a classic from time to time. That one was soooo good. So much excellent and relatable dialogue! I have been wanting to read The Idiot next. Maybe I'm not the smartest fellow because Dostoevsky is a pretty tough read for me. It can be hard to get the motivation for the challenge sometimes.
Dostoevsky is very tough, but so good. I loved Crime and Punishment. I too want to read The Idiot, but need to take some time to get to the right mindset (as you said).

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
Currently reading:
"Finish" by Jon Acuff - get out of your head, put the perfectionist away, and complete those projects / goals you've been meaning to. Inspiring and hilarious. Jon has a dry humor that I appreciate.

"Ready Player Two" - ugh. I'm only still with it until I find a fiction book to replace it. So heavy-handed and ham-fisted. I enjoy RP1 - this sequel makes me want to scratch my eyes out.

Recently finished - Fairy Tale by Stephen King. Loved it - not his best, as has been discussed, by a fun, enjoyable read that plays with the foundations and tropes of all fairy tales.

Crime fiction? I recommend reading Denis Lehane. Start with "A Drink Before the War." Thank me later.

Reactions: dahliaclone

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
We certainly did. Enough that we should have been well aware that our actions were tantamount to a declaration of war (and thus not have been caught unaware at the start).
Roosevelt’s Secret War (Joseph Persico) is a good one. FDR was a trifling SOB. The US and Japan were VERY similar, aspirationally, prior to WWII.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I just started the Eric Steele series by Sean Parnell. First one is really good so far. It's in that genre of CIA/Spec Ops books with lots of action. Think Mitch Rapp and Scot Harvath type books

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
Currently reading:
"Finish" by Jon Acuff - get out of your head, put the perfectionist away, and complete those projects / goals you've been meaning to. Inspiring and hilarious. Jon has a dry humor that I appreciate.

"Ready Player Two" - ugh. I'm only still with it until I find a fiction book to replace it. So heavy-handed and ham-fisted. I enjoy RP1 - this sequel makes me want to scratch my eyes out.

Recently finished - Fairy Tale by Stephen King. Loved it - not his best, as has been discussed, by a fun, enjoyable read that plays with the foundations and tropes of all fairy tales.

Crime fiction? I recommend reading Denis Lehane. Start with "A Drink Before the War." Thank me later.

Same! I really enjoyed RP1. I quit halfway through RP2. And I rarely don't finish a book.

I loved Fairy Tale until about halfway through the book when he went into the shed to heal his dog. I found the wonderland fairy tale part to be extremely boring except maybe the gladiator part. I too liked the whole premise and tropes, but the characters in wonderland were not developed enough, imo. By the end, I really didn't care about them.

Plus, I'll try not to spoil here. But don't you think there would have been a great fairy tale ending possibility to make right the tragedy in the beginning?!?! I mean, we are talking about fairy tales and parallel worlds here. Give me the cliché ending I want! lol

Reactions: Joe4Cy

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Currently reading:

I would also suggest S.A. Crosby novels for crime. Blacktop Wasteland and Razorblade Tears are both phenomenal.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014

Into Thin Air is his best book, imo

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
Plus, I'll try not to spoil here. But don't you think there would have been a great fairy tale ending possibility to make right the tragedy in the beginning?!?! I mean, we are talking about fairy tales and parallel worlds here. Give me the cliché ending I want! lol

Oh! That's a fair point! It always seemed to me that King will deliberately go the opposite of expectations or what fans want. That being said, in this case, a cliche ending would have been nice.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
The Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck

Should have read it years ago.
That's interesting. I read Steinbeck's East of Eden in 8th grade and loved it! So I started re-reading it for fun and found it not very appealing. I switched to a free audiobook to renew my interest, then found I had to quit as it was almost nothing like I remember it!

An aside here are there many, many free books here: https://archive.org/

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
Great time of year to read the Russians.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC