What’s happening with Women's Basketball Nationally?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
This is a good article that focuses on some things that impact us right here at home. Enjoy.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

UConn's dynasty is officially dead. That's good news for women's college basketball.

Reactions: isutrevman

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I agree that this is good for women's college hoops. I made a point of not watching the Final Four when Connecticut was always likely to end up winning. The women's NCAA tournament literally became the "UCONN Invitational" where everyone was playing for second place and nothing more. It's not interesting when you know who's going to win. It's not interesting when ESPN continues to talk about UCONN nonstop, even when they've been eliminated early on rare occasion. It's not interesting when the title game ends up being non-competitive from the opening tip.

Even WITH South Carolina being dominant for the last few years, it's better than UCONN winning everything. I'd prefer another team to challenge (and beat) USC in the near future so that we don't have another decade of ho-hum in wbb (so long as the next team isn't one that is as completely entitled/arrogant or has the already insufferable fans of the hoks). Not expecting that to happen this year, though.

Reactions: acoustimac

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Trying to tie in women's college hoops, I find it interesting how there is such a contrast with basketball and soccer when it comes to interest in the college games versus the buzz surrounding players who are able to make it to the national teams. For example, Caitlin Clarke is getting a lot more coverage in college than Alex Morgan got when she was in college (something men's soccer players get less of, too, at that level). But as it stands now, Caitlin Clarke won't get as much pub when she plays for the National Team versus what Alex Morgan gets. But from what I can tell, this is because internationally teams make things interesting versus the US in soccer while in basketball (at this point) there is just domination from the US.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The NBA giving props (self serving when you know the reasoning) helps a lot to get attention and recognition to the WNBA and women’s college basketball.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I think women’s CBB will become a bigger thing - ratings, attention, and $$$ - than the WNBA. Might already be there for post season basketball but if you start getting national stars like Clark and others, you get the “root for my team” factor plus stars.

I think I enjoyed watching the ISU women more than the men over the last month of the season. Women in contention plus a frustrating brand of MBB won out for me. Plus, having more roster consistency is more fun than learning entire new teams each year. It won’t always be this way but I’ll watch ISU regularly going forward when I didn’t even watch ISU NCAA tournament games a few seasons ago.

Reactions: acoustimac

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I can’t stand women’s basketball on any level. High school is fine if you are a student . However, I just think it’s so boring. I can’t even watch Iowa State. I can watch pretty much all things Iowa State but womens basketball is just dreadful to me.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
The NBA giving props (self serving when you know the reasoning) helps a lot to get attention and recognition to the WNBA and women’s college basketball.
Yeah, the NBA does give props to them, but I, for one, would watch them even without the props. However I might be more entertained if the basket height matched their height more. Not only would there be more play above the rim, it just seems like other things like jump shots, layups and getting rebounds might look smoother. But, as I said, the current product is still good, so whatever they want to do is what's best for them.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Outside of Clark’s antics on the court…. Iowa is VERY enjoyable to watch. It was a thing of beauty last night.

I’d much rather watch them right now than a lot of men’s games. It’s a much better brand of basketball…. and the women can actually shoot the ball and make FT’s.

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
Outside of Clark’s antics on the court…. Iowa is VERY enjoyable to watch. It was a thing of beauty last night.

I’d much rather watch them right now than a lot of men’s games. It’s a much better brand of basketball…. and the women can actually shoot the ball and make FT’s.
Agree and I dislike everything Hawks. They seem very well connected with each other.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Not a huge WBB guy but the idea of watching a player stay for 3-4 years is super intriguing. My favorite Cyclones growing up were guys we got to watch for 4 years. While players like Jaren Holmes or Brockington were great players they felt more like rented “Cyclones”. I want to see a young freshman come in, shows sparks and be the “man/woman” when they’re a senior. Women’s bball offers that, men’s doesn’t.

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
I was thinking about this while eating dinner. Watching Iowa State play with Joens handling the ball reminds me of playing a video game where I would take the best player and just dribble around with the controller and try to score a layup or just jack up a 3

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I can’t stand women’s basketball on any level. High school is fine if you are a student . However, I just think it’s so boring. I can’t even watch Iowa State. I can watch pretty much all things Iowa State but womens basketball is just dreadful to me.
You know what's dreadful? Watching our men's FT shooting compared to women's.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron