What’s happening with Women's Basketball Nationally?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Used to work with a woman who did Roller Derby (that was B.C. Before Covid, not sure if it survived).

Now THERE was a WOMAN'S sport. Did men ever do it? I don't remember.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This is a good article that focuses on some things that impact us right here at home. Enjoy.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

UConn's dynasty is officially dead. That's good news for women's college basketball.

"And now, it’s not a given that the top players always head to Storrs. More kids are staying close to home, like Iowa's Caitlin Clark, to try to do something for the first time. "

With that I think she was trying too hard to make her point. Going off of Prospects Nation Top 25 the four top rated players in the Midwest are going to UConn, UConn, Maryland and Oklahoma. Clark was sort of an exception, at least when it comes to the top rated and sought after players.

• Informative
Reactions: HawaiiClone

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Used to work with a woman who did Roller Derby (that was B.C. Before Covid, not sure if it survived).

Now THERE was a WOMAN'S sport. Did men ever do it? I don't remember.

The daughter of a family friend who was an attorney played roller derby in KC. Blew my mind, but so did watching my daughter play rugby. There are def some sports out there not for the weak of heart.

Reactions: NWICY and pourcyne

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Outside of Clark’s antics on the court…. Iowa is VERY enjoyable to watch. It was a thing of beauty last night.

I’d much rather watch them right now than a lot of men’s games. It’s a much better brand of basketball…. and the women can actually shoot the ball and make FT’s.

Are you talking about ISU men? Because the men's tournament has been way more exciting.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Just finished watching South Carolina beat Maryland. It should be interesting to see how Iowa matches up with these amazons. Could be a long night for the HawKKKs.

Iowa can win. I don't think any of the women teams know how to defend Clark. I bet S. Carolina tries to beat the **** out of Clark. Should be a lot of drama.

Reactions: Cyclad

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
I can’t stand women’s basketball on any level. High school is fine if you are a student . However, I just think it’s so boring. I can’t even watch Iowa State. I can watch pretty much all things Iowa State but womens basketball is just dreadful to me.

I’m curious how much you have watched the women play recently. That used to be me 20 years ago. I:am amazed at the improved athleticism and skills exhibited in these young ladies now. maybe it’s just not for you.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think women’s CBB will become a bigger thing - ratings, attention, and $$$ - than the WNBA. Might already be there for post season basketball but if you start getting national stars like Clark and others, you get the “root for my team” factor plus stars.

I think I enjoyed watching the ISU women more than the men over the last month of the season. Women in contention plus a frustrating brand of MBB won out for me. Plus, having more roster consistency is more fun than learning entire new teams each year. It won’t always be this way but I’ll watch ISU regularly going forward when I didn’t even watch ISU NCAA tournament games a few seasons ago.

Griner, Lobo, Della Donne, Ionuscu were all big stars but since they weren't in state, most Iowans didn't pay attention. There have been plenty of national stars Clark gets all the hype being a spectacular shooter, on the favorite team in the state, then she has had a great run to the final four. I'm guessing the interest will stay steady for Iowa WBB until Clark graduates, thenit will drop back off. Nice thing is next yrs game is in Hilton so we should have some additional ticket sales.

Reactions: acoustimac

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Iowa can win. I don't think any of the women teams know how to defend Clark. I bet S. Carolina tries to beat the **** out of Clark. Should be a lot of drama.

I think they've got enough length they can play her straight up, she'll still get hers but as long as you keep her at 30 or less and the rest in somewhere around 10 os it S. Carolina should be able to outscore them.

Fouling Clark when she has the ball is foolish she's too good of free throw shooter. Maybe figure out how much you can body her up when she's away from the ball to help wear her down. But she is a gamer so it will be a challenge.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
My daughter was teammates with Clark and Jada giamfi who is a freshman at Iowa. I love my daughter but can’t stand watching women’s basketball
So it isn’t like you haven’t been exposed to talent. Just not your thing.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This is a good article that focuses on some things that impact us right here at home. Enjoy.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

UConn's dynasty is officially dead. That's good news for women's college basketball.

Might mean something if it wasn't outright replaced by South Carolina's dynasty. Seems like in women's college basketball there is only ever one outright dominant team at a time and everyone else is looking up at them.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
So it isn’t like you haven’t been exposed to talent. Just not your thing.

I just can’t watch it and watch mens also. Mens is so far superior. I can watch almost every other women’s sport and enjoy it. Soccer is the same sport as men, may be a little slower but it’s the same concept. Men’s basketball is just so much better that watching the women seems like I am watching such an inferior product

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Outside of Clark’s antics on the court…. Iowa is VERY enjoyable to watch. It was a thing of beauty last night.

I’d much rather watch them right now than a lot of men’s games. It’s a much better brand of basketball…. and the women can actually shoot the ball and make FT’s.
Yes, they do shoot better. It's almost as though the ball they are shooting with has a smaller diameter and thus allows for more margin of error.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I think they've got enough length they can play her straight up, she'll still get hers but as long as you keep her at 30 or less and the rest in somewhere around 10 os it S. Carolina should be able to outscore them.

Fouling Clark when she has the ball is foolish she's too good of free throw shooter. Maybe figure out how much you can body her up when she's away from the ball to help wear her down. But she is a gamer so it will be a challenge.
She had 9 turnovers in her elite 8 game. That extra length could cause similar problems

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Smaller ball,....and higher skill level.

Mostly higher skill level. Never practice dunk tricks, practice free throws.
Hawkeye women are #1 in the nation for field goal percentage. They'd be #3 in men's college basketball.

#10 in women's basketball would be below #50 in men's basketball.

Free throws are closer, ISU women would be #2 in either league. #50 is at 75.64%(W) vs 74.95%(M)

Reactions: isutrevman