We've reached the McCarney point

Gordilly

Sep 5, 2011
Paul should be embarrassed. How quickly OU took the little life we had away, we got pounded. We didn't even belong on the same field as OU.

Something has to change. Force a turnover on downs when down 21-7 and we run it and do little dink passes instead of take a shot downfield to a 6'5 target. So much fail today.

That's the point when I realized the game was over. The playcalling couldn't have been more passive, and at the very moment we had seized the initiative.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
You are soooo right my friend, when the stands are empty the football coach gets Fired.

Props to the fans today. That looked like a pretty decent crowd for a 2-5 team. Alas, just another loss at home.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
He could win 2 games next year and not get fired.

Disagree. CPR is fine for this season, but if ISU does not get a bowl game next year, with the players that are returning, CPR will probably be done. JP can sell the new stadium and returning starters this off season, but next year there is nothing left to sell unless ISU reaches post season.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Sadly, to me this has been looking like McCarney 2.0 for some time now, except it seems that there isn't going to be that one 9-win season...

Overly-emotional coach who can't translate that emotion into mental toughness on the field
Team constantly exhibits unsound fundamentals
Team constantly comes out not ready to play
Talent below the necessary level to compete in the Big 12

And it becomes even clearer with the paper thin depth and JUCO recruiting trying to right the ship. It's looking like MAC 2.0 increasingly over time.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Disagree. CPR is fine for this season, but if ISU does not get a bowl game next year, with the players that are returning, CPR will probably be done. JP can sell the new stadium and returning starters this off season, but next year there is nothing left to sell unless ISU reaches post season.

I won't jump off the Rhoads bus until after Year 7, with the idea that "maybe it simply takes that long at Iowa State" for an unproven head coaching choice. I want to see what happens when there's a decent amount of talent and experience on both offense and defense, with an O-coordinator who seems like a smart hire — if it's not at least a 7-win season, then it's over.

Rhoads fumbled big-time with the 2012 season. A season following the biggest upset in program history; stellar defense with 2 NFL linebackers, solid special teams, two QBs that weren't fantastic, but each with proven capability of winning games for different reasons, only one game (at Texas) that became too far out of reach to have a chance to win – and ISU finished 6-7.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
I won't jump off the Rhoads bus until after Year 7, with the idea that "maybe it simply takes that long at Iowa State" for an unproven head coaching choice. I want to see what happens when there's a decent amount of talent and experience on both offense and defense, with an O-coordinator who seems like a smart hire — if it's not at least a 7-win season, then it's over.

Rhoads fumbled big-time with the 2012 season. A season following the biggest upset in program history; stellar defense with 2 NFL linebackers, solid special teams, two QBs that weren't fantastic, but each with proven capability of winning games for different reasons, only one game (at Texas) that became too far out of reach to have a chance to win – and ISU finished 6-7.

The CPR era started on a high note and has been going downhill ever since. What do you expect to happen in year 7? We win 4 games? I feel sorry for the kids.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron