WERE NOT A YOUNG TEAM ANYMORE: ISU looks forward to the future after Liberty Bowl loss

The Rob Gray

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2016

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
100%. This team had growing pains, as you would expect. But they also accomplished some amazing things. 6-3 in the Big 12 with 5 of the 9 on the road? I would never have even dreamed that growing up as a Cyclone fan. Doing it with a young group is even more impressive.

20 starters coming back. TWENTY. The future is bright.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I stayed in the stadium until the bitter end, and saw Rocco greeting all his teammates as they left the field. It was a great example of leadership.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
This year went much better than most of us had any reason to expect. With everyone they have coming back and the new B12, the next couple of years are a chance for Campbell to set a new high water mark for the program.

IMO, all the talk about not capitalizing with recruiting after the 2020 season are overblown and early. The guys that are playing now and coming back next year are the result of that success (the ‘21 and ‘22 recruiting classes, as well as this year and next). ISU is destined to be a development program, so I don’t expect to win 9 or 10 games when they’re play a ton of freshman and sophomores. Getting into a bowl game with them is a good year.

The next two years, the o-line play has to be more consistent in a good way. They seemed really up and down, again. The program needs to stop having games where it seems like they show up and expect to win. Offense needs to continue to evolve, and do a consistently better job of adjusting to go with what works on the fly.

Carnegie

Jul 10, 2019
There is something to be said about a young team. As we were getting our butts kicked by Memphis I thumbed through our current roster and it is indeed young. Were did all the seniors go? That said it seems we frequently hear the "we are young" message from media and coaches after losses. Such a soft excuse. Our final record was 7-6 this year. In 2021, Purdy's last year, we were 7-6 with a very experience line-up. IMO Campbell's teams may never win 10 games. His teams are consistently inconsistent in the "margins". Hope he proves me wrong.

Reactions: ghettocowboy4cy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Let's just hope the transfer portal doesn't hit us. You know schools are going to reach out to a few of the more talented kids.

They already have and all of them have (so far) decided to stay.

Reactions: MugNight