Wendy Wintersteen & Jamie Pollard Address the Fans

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
It didn’t make me feel better, but when you compare this to the statements by the others today the contrast is pretty notable.

No outward anger at OU and UT. No boasting about ISU‘s academic profile.
Exactly. Zero posturing. Different from everything else we've seen.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Judging by Pollards facial expressions I’m sure he would’ve wanted to read OU and UT the riot act.

Can‘t say much beyond what they said without inviting legal consequences for ISU

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Whelp, looks like we're digging in. This is all legal posturing to make OU and UT pay. It's not going until 2025.

Agree. I think the 8 Big 12 schools want $$$$ from OU and Texas. Would be funny if Texas and OU pay up the $100 Million or whatever it is, leave, and then the remaining 8 vote to disband a couple of months later and trot off to their new conferences (hopefully ISU to the Big 10 of course).

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Multiple thoughts.

Would have rather had no statement, but from formality perspective I get it. This just didn’t do much for me. I don’t think there was any panic, but just nothing exactly useful from this either. Didn’t really love the strong Bowlsby support statement. At the end of the day, this does fall on him for being so oblivious.

But I will remind everyone for all legal purposes, JP HAS to approach this from a public perspective that this is a “four year” timeline. Until Texas and OU make the early bolt (which they will) that has to be the stance and nothing more. He can’t just publicly say “yeah I have Barry Alvarez on speed dial.” Don’t read too much into that as if Jamie’s clueless here about how things may fall.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
This is a good old fashioned standoff. Who blinks first? The SEC is expecting OU and Texas Fall of 2022. To hell or high water Pollard and the other seven ADs are going to make sure Texas and OU pay large $$$ to leave. Best case scenario? The other 8 schools collect that exit fee money from OU and Texas and negotiate with the B1G or Pac 12 in the interim. If the Big Ten expands and Iowa State receives an invite they will get bent over a barrel the first several years in regards to revenue share. That OU/Texas money will be needed.

Last edited:

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
This could be the strategy the remaining Big 12 members decided on, presenting a united front. It also buys time for B1G, PAC-12, and Fox to negotiate future numbers, none of whom are going to do anything on a whim.

Man, this sucks.

Reactions: riceville98

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
OU and TX haven't announced much publicly, but behind closed doors they are are counting on teams jumping ship in an effort to find a stable home. That instability benefits OuTex by allowing them to bolt for the SEC in 2022 without financial penalty.

This message from JP seems like it is directed more at OuTex and the other Big 12 schools than at ISU fans. Another way of telling OU and Texas that they are going to have to flinch first.

That's what two glasses of Pinot are whispering to me anyway.

H

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Nothing about Jamie’s body language or facial expressions was positive. He seemed angry, exhausted, and trying to hold back sadness at times. I do appreciate that there wasn’t an intent to sell the university to others here like many of the statements we saw today. But I’m feeling pretty confident that there aren’t other takers for us at this time. Why else would he go out of the way to say that about Bowlsby? They’re trying to create as much stability as they can while the house of cards collapses. I fear we have no good options but again, will hope JP can pull the rabbit out of the hat for all our sakes.