Week 3 - Akron - Sept 16th

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
We are almost a month away from our first road game against the Akron Zips in Akron Ohio. This one is particularly important to me because I grew up in the Akron area. So I put together a little guide to help people who might be going out there next month. I can answer any questions you guys might have too!

See you there!

Getting there
Driving from Iowa (Des Moines)
Take the 80 east toll road until your eyes hurt (~10 hours) and then south on either I77 or Route 8. I recommend taking I77 because there are less cops and it is a slightly faster speed limit. Be careful of the cops in Indiana, they like to use unmarked Dodge Chargers.

Airports
  • CAK - Akron/Canton Airport is the smaller regional airport nestled between Akron and Canton that is really convenient if you can find the flights. Only a 15min drive north on 77 to get to Akron. Directs from Chicago on American and United.
  • CLE - Cleveland Hopkins International Airport is the large airport in North East Ohio. You shouldn't have issues finding flights to this airport. About a 45min drive south on 77 to get to Akron. Directs from Minneapolis on Delta and Chicago on Southwest, American, and United.

The Stadium
Infocision Stadium opened in 2009 with a Capacity of 30,000 for a cost $61.6 Million. It replaced the very old Rubber Bowl which was used by Akron from 1940 to 2008.
The stadium holds 27,000 in bleacher seats. Another 3,000 spectators can watch the game from the grass hill on the south side of the stadium

University_of_Akron_uak2_large_DM.jpg

Parking/Tailgating

IMAGE OF LOTS

Lots 9, 10, and 6 are the most popular lots with 9 being the best lot to tailgate in. However it is reserved mainly for season ticket holders and may or may not be available to us Cyclones. Lots 72/74 are probably a good backup plan. I believe Cysck is setting something up in one of the lots

Things to do
  • Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens - Huge estate built by the founders of the Goodyear Tire company. If you enjoyed the Biltmore in Asheville North Carloina, you'll enjoy this one too
  • Akron Art Museum
  • Towpath Trail - Trail going along the Ohio Erie Canal
  • Lock 3 - Outdoor concert/festival venue right on the canal

Where to eat/drink
I could expand this list for days but I will try to throw up some highlights
  • Swensons - Drive in fast food place. Routinely rated very highly on best burgers in Ohio. Galley-boy is their most famous
  • Luigi's - An Akron institution with Pizza and Pasta. BRING CASH!
  • Barley House - Huge bar centrally located in Akron. 15-20min walk from the stadium. Lots of beers
  • Lockview - Gourmet grilled cheese and craft beer. Need I say more?
  • Baxters - Huge beer list (mostly bottles) but I would eat elsewhere
  • Rays Pub - Cheap dirty dive bar. $1-2 beers aplenty
  • Annabell's - Another cheap dive bar with live music (mainly rock/punk rock)
  • Louie's - Your dive bar with good food!
  • The Matinee - Your cheap hipster dive bar
  • 69 Taps - It's in the name! 69 taps of beer. Food is not good and service can be slow sometimes though
  • Mr.Zubs - Big crazy sandwiches
  • Diamond Deli - Classic New York style deli where they pile the meats to the ceiling
  • Taquiera La Loma / La Loma- The only remotely close to authentic mexican place in Akron
  • Diamond Grille - It's the oldest steak place in Akron. I feel as though they are overrated but it's still a classic!

Where to stay
Unfortunately Akron only has a couple hotels in the Downtown area worth staying in:
  • The Courtyard Marriott Downtown
  • Hilton Garden Inn Akron
The rest of the hotels to stay at would be in Cuyahoga Falls, Fairlawn, or Green which are all a 10-20min drive from downtown and have all the major brands.

Other Northeast Ohio Adventures

Suburbs
  • Portage Lakes State Park
  • Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Cleveland (~45min north of Akron)
  • Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
  • West Side Market
  • Cleveland Orchestra
  • Little Italy
  • Rocksino

Canton (~30min south of Akron)
  • Pro Football Hall of Fame
  • McKinley Presidential Library & Museum

Other Tidbits
  • Akron's Downtown is LONG, it isn't very wide because it grew along the canal. Plan accordingly if you want to walk!
  • The hamburger was invented in Akron and people take their burgers seriously
  • The Goodyear Airdock is one of the largest buildings in the world and was right next to Akron's old stadium. It is so big it "rains" in there!
If any other Akronites are here or anyone coming from ZipNation wants to chime in, I can certainly expand this!

im4cyru

Mar 30, 2014
Nope, not me. I don't have an account over there. I usually keep the same screen name across sports forums
Thanks for the reply. I've see a number of messages on that forum from the poster mentioned. I wonder what the odds are for the number of Cyclone fans with Akron roots that post to the ZIP board.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Here is Phil Steele's podcast preview of the MAC East. Akron is the first team covered, since they are in alphabetical order:

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Oh, say '2015, whats a Zip anyway?
There is a little debate about the Zips name. One said it was from the Rubber Zipper Overshoes which were invented in Akron. The other being from Zippers ((like on pants) themselves. It was shortened to Zips regardless of origin in the 50s. I have no idea why it's a female kangaroo as the mascot other than kangaroos was a finalist in the name the mascot challenge. One of the few female mascots in college sports too!

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the reply. I've see a number of messages on that forum from the poster mentioned. I wonder what the odds are for the number of Cyclone fans with Akron roots that post to the ZIP board.

I know of one other on this board that has Akron ties and I'm gonna assume it's them.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Not to be that guy but I haven't found any evidence that Akron invented the hamburger. Second, I will be at the game so I'm pretty pumped to go out there. I try to attend either an away football or basketball game every year and I'm still undefeated.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not to be that guy but I haven't found any evidence that Akron invented the hamburger. Second, I will be at the game so I'm pretty pumped to go out there. I try to attend either an away football or basketball game every year and I'm still undefeated.

Nope there are many that debate about it so you're definitely not the first.

"Frank and Charles Menches claim to have sold a ground beef sandwich at the Erie County Fair in 1885 in Hamburg, New York. During the fair, they ran out of pork sausage for their sandwiches and substituted beef. Kunzog, who spoke to Frank Menches, says they exhausted their supply of sausage, so purchased chopped up beef from a butcher, Andrew Klein. Historian Joseph Streamer wrote that the meat was from Stein's market not Klein's, despite Stein's having sold the market in 1874. The story notes that the name of the hamburger comes from Hamburg, New York not Hamburg Germany.Frank Menches's obituary in The New York Times states that these events took place at the 1892 Summit County Fair in Akron, Ohio"

The Menches Family owns restaurants in Akron and still claim it. Plus the National Hamburger Festival is held there every year. Just this last weekend in fact. They do hamburger cooking contests, eating contests, crown the Burger Queen, and even do a "trial" of who invented the hamburger. Nothing tops the Ketchup Bowl though which is bobbing for burgers in gallons of ketchup.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Oh Boy! That looks sick. I remember bobbing for apples during Halloween, as a boy during the 60's. Not done anymore due to 'germs' awareness, etc. I guess there must be enough salt and vinegar in the ketchup to 'maybe' kill some of the germs. BUT you'd have to pay me alot of $$$ to get me to do that! :eek:

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
As a Cleveland area resident and self described expert on all things. Here's my piggyback report to the OP.

Skip the NFL and Rock Hall of fames. Both are overpriced for the experience and something you'll look back on as a disappointment.

Cedar Point Halloweekends starts that weekend. They open the park later in the day, tickets are cheaper, crowds/lines are lighter than normal. At night they make the park "haunted" with fog machines, roaming monsters and mutiple haunted houses to walk through.

If you're looking to double up on sports action, the Indians are in town that weekend. They have a great stadium, and its a family friendly environment in and around the stadium.

Here's my Best Of Cleveland, cheap eating/drinking spots, because everything in Akron is mediocre except burgers and the amount of panhandlers.
1. Fatheads Brewery in North Olmsted near the Cleveland airport. Great beer selection, giant sandwiches, smoked wings, go there if you go anywhere.
2. Melt- multiple locations. All kinds of exotic grilled sandwiches with an extensive micro brew selection.
3. Barrio- multiple locations. Tacos, Guac, Queso and a top shelf micro brew, Bourbon, Tequila list.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
As a Cleveland area resident and self described expert on all things. Here's my piggyback report to the OP.

Skip the NFL and Rock Hall of fames. Both are overpriced for the experience and something you'll look back on as a disappointment.

Cedar Point Halloweekends starts that weekend. They open the park later in the day, tickets are cheaper, crowds/lines are lighter than normal. At night they make the park "haunted" with fog machines, roaming monsters and mutiple haunted houses to walk through.

If you're looking to double up on sports action, the Indians are in town that weekend. They have a great stadium, and its a family friendly environment in and around the stadium.

Here's my Best Of Cleveland, cheap eating/drinking spots, because everything in Akron is mediocre except burgers and the amount of panhandlers.
1. Fatheads Brewery in North Olmsted near the Cleveland airport. Great beer selection, giant sandwiches, smoked wings, go there if you go anywhere.
2. Melt- multiple locations. All kinds of exotic grilled sandwiches with an extensive micro brew selection.
3. Barrio- multiple locations. Tacos, Guac, Queso and a top shelf micro brew, Bourbon, Tequila list.

Good travel weekend for Cyclone/Royals fans to show our pride.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Honestly, I thought R&R Hall had some cool stuff, although that was 15 years ago, and I have selective memory about the overall experience. I can't analyze level of money-drain compared to other big-time attraction. I've never visited NFL HOF.

Also: You meant to type "Halls of Fame." :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron