Weed Eater recommendation.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
Anyone ever used one of the new battery powered trimmers (56v or greater). Was thinking about a Blower/Trimmer model from greenworks 56v. Never used one and wondering if they compare to the power of gas.

I have the bottom line Bolens gas trimmer from Lowes and have had it for 8+ years. Close to its last leg but it has been a champ.

Reactions: amishclone

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I know you don't want a battery powered one. But I got this new Milwaukee one recently, thinking I would just return it and get a engine model. Will never go back to an engine. No reason to, total waste of time. After people start using this there won't be an engine on any of these in a couple years. Their battery technology is amazing. They can make a car to run off a battery, pretty sure they can make a good weed eater.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...836390_slid_&gclid=COWp6Yr5wtMCFdRXDQodQQYCyg

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Anyone ever used one of the new battery powered trimmers (56v or greater). Was thinking about a Blower/Trimmer model from greenworks 56v. Never used one and wondering if they compare to the power of gas.

I have the bottom line Bolens gas trimmer from Lowes and have had it for 8+ years. Close to its last leg but it has been a champ.

I was going to ask the OP why they aren't interested in battery options. ****...I have the 80v Kobalt trimmer. Fully charges in about 20 minutes and runs for about an hour and a half on a single charge. I have a lot of places to hit with it on approx 4 acres, and it does very well. Best part is, I have never had an issue with the string. Really easy to replace.

One caveat I do have though. I have no chain link fence to worry about, so not sure if that would make a difference in the string. I do have a large, block retaining wall, wood decking and a basketball hoop with pole pad, along with trees, bushes, rock/gravel areas to work around. It cuts the grass without damaging anything.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
My buddy runs a small lawn business and also does the odd tree removal job. He still has his Stihl chainsaws as he doesn't do enough tree jobs to justify replacement, but all of his power equipment is now Echo. The Stihl stuff just doesn't perform for him with even the chainsaws break down constantly.

I have an Echo trimmer that I bought this year to replace an old Homelite. It's the Echo SRM-225. I'd buy it from a dealer instead of Home Depot just because you'll get some service and sometimes useful advice.

Advancing the trimmer line and feeding the Echo is an absolute breeze.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Yup battery is the way to go! If you are allergic to batteries I'd suggest batteries. Distant second would be Stihl.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I enjoy mowing my lawn. I dislike trimming and edging. I had a weedeater brand trimmer for several years. It ran great, but the string would not feed consistently. I bought a stihl two years ago hoping that it would be an improvement. It runs great, but I still have feed issues. If I had it to do again, I would find a trimmer with a head that uses short sections of string rather than the type that winds in the head and feeds with a tap on the ground. I have a neighbor that bought a replacement head at Walmart that uses small sections of string and he loves it. My plan is to do that.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I almost did the electric trimmer. My next standard mower will be electric no doubt. I'm in the market for a zero turn as I mow 10,000 sq. feet, but my trim mower will be electric after the Honda self-propelled dies. Electric has made huge strides in power and run time over the last 2 years.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
I did read your PS but recommend a battery powered trimmer. I maintain two yards; yard one is150'x110' and has quite a few trees and a border fence on two sides for a total of about 250' of fence. Yard two is a pie shaped lot 280' on the long side, not as many trees and only about 100' is chainlink. I am halfway handy and have owned everything from a weedeater brand bought on closeout to Ryobi to a Professional Stihl that was overpowering. All were a pain in the ***. Last summer I bought a Black and Decker battery powered for $60 at Home Depot and itis fantastic. Later bought a Ryobi battery powered for quite a bit more thinking I might need a more heavy duty trimmer. Not so far. The B&D has worked great this year (Colorado spring starts earlier). Gave both of my gas powered away to the neighbors lawnmaintence guy.
With battery power, you go out to your shed, pick up your trimmer and start to trim. With gas power ???
BTW, I would winterize these trimmers every year and also always ran them out of fuel every fall. Good Luck.

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
I did read your PS but recommend a battery powered trimmer. I maintain two yards yard one is150'x110' and has quite a few trees and a border fence on two sides for a total of about 250' of fence. Yard two is a pie shaped lot 280' on the long side, not as many trees and only about 100' is chainlink. I am halfway handy and have owned everything from a weedeater brand bought on closeout to Ryobi to a Professional Stihl that was overpowering. All were a pain in the ***. Last summer I bought a Black and Decker battery powered for $60 at Home Depot and itis fantastic. Later bought a Ryobi battery powered for quite a bit more thinking I might need a more heavy duty trimmer. Not so far. The B&D has worked great this year (Colorado spring starts earlier). Gave both of my gas powered away to the neighbors lawnmaintence guy.
With battery power, you go outside, walk to the shed, pick up the trimmer and start to trim. Gas powered???
BTW, I would winterize these trimmers every year and also always ran themoutof fuel every fall. Good Luck.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Come on, man, this is CF! Kill it with fire.

BP223_1.jpg

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Bought a TroyBilt 2-cylinder. Had problems pull-starting it. Bought the handheld electric starter. No problems starting it now. Pretty good trimmer for $129. Lots of optional attachments like a blower, edger, pole saw, etc.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Went with an Echo last year when we moved to an acreage and its been great. I had gone back and forth between Echo and Stihl based on online reviews, after talking with a couple of pros, they recommended Echo like it wasn't even a question. If you see a professional company working on a lawn at a home or business, I'm betting you'll see they're using Echo equipment.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
My buddy runs a small lawn business and also does the odd tree removal job. He still has his Stihl chainsaws as he doesn't do enough tree jobs to justify replacement, but all of his power equipment is now Echo. The Stihl stuff just doesn't perform for him with even the chainsaws break down constantly.

I have an Echo trimmer that I bought this year to replace an old Homelite. It's the Echo SRM-225. I'd buy it from a dealer instead of Home Depot just because you'll get some service and sometimes useful advice.

Advancing the trimmer line and feeding the Echo is an absolute breeze.

I don't know if Echo operates this way but sometimes when companies have their products in retail stores and also have dealership networks, the products aren't always the same quality and the dealer may have a better product at a higher cost. Again, I have no clue if Echo does this but I have seen it with other products and lawn care equipment seems like a good market to go that route with.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Lemme guess. You bought the cheapest stihl trimmer. Or you don't know how to use it?

Just took out my 2 year old km 94 (attachment system) for the first time since October, and started on the first pull.

Our Stihl sucks. I would go with Echo lawn tools way before Stihl with the possible eception of chainsaws.

• Agree
Reactions: ruxCYtable