Weed Eater recommendation.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
I'm in the market for a new weed eater, my old one finally gave out. All my neighbors have chain link fences that are terrible on weed eater string. Any recommendations for a weed eater and type of string for your typical subdivision yard.

PS, not interested in battery type trimmers.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Ive heard these do a good job
goats-opener.jpg

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Stihl >> all

I hate chain fences so no experience on that. They do make fixed line string heads, in which you manually feed in cut lengths of string. It sounds like a pain in the butt, but it's better than messing with a bump and feed, especially if the string catches and melts together?

There's also steel head or chains or plastic "blades." The plastic blade one I've used was kind a joke though

isu22andy

Sep 17, 2012
Stihl . Buy the oil with the weedeater and doubles your warranty . Leaf blower starts 3 pulls every time. .

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Off topic but when I was a kid I never realized that people were saying "weed eater." I thought it was all one word brand name like wedeeter or something and didn't make the connection that it was describing eating weeds until I was an adult.

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
Reactions: dukeebear

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
There is only one I would ever consider. I won't have to do that for some time because they last forever and are real workhorses. Stihl. The only brand you should look at. Worth every dime.

I use the FS 40 on my one acre lot (do about 2 hours of trimming each week).
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/homeowner-trimmers/

2 hours of trimming a week? How fast do your weeds and grass grow????

My recommendation, plant grass. Grows slower and can use a lawn mower (riding, push, or self-propelled).

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Stihl >> all

I hate chain fences so no experience on that. They do make fixed line string heads, in which you manually feed in cut lengths of string. It sounds like a pain in the butt, but it's better than messing with a bump and feed, especially if the string catches and melts together?

There's also steel head or chains or plastic "blades." The plastic blade one I've used was kind a joke though

Our Stihl sucks. I would go with Echo lawn tools way before Stihl with the possible eception of chainsaws.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Stihl >> all

Echo >>Stihl, in regards to lawn care equipment.

Stihl is not the same company or quality they use to be.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Get one of these and the chain link fence won't eat up the string nearly as fast. I think I got mine at Home Depot.

http://www.pivotrim.com/

Intriguing. Does this damage a wood fence? Seeing it cut through plywood is impressive, but I wouldn't want to replace fence boards every time I trim. Or is that meant to be more of an industrial trimmer around chain link, rocks, culverts, etc?