Weather Thread - 1/16 to 1/18

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
They cancelled school today for the districts in the CR area now. Why couldn't they have an early dismissal instead? Nothing is coming until 1:00 today.

School Supts. are kind of like lemmings, none want to be the first to cancel, be when a few do, then the rest will quickly follow. We cancelled down here last night, Davis Co. scheduled an early out for 12:30, then ended up just cancelling like everyone else.

Looking at the radar, it should be snowing like hell down here, but nothing is falling at all. Air most be too dry still.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
They cancelled school today for the districts in the CR area now. Why couldn't they have an early dismissal instead? Nothing is coming until 1:00 today.
My guess is CR is going to see more Ice then snow, so conditions will rapidly deteriorate and could make things very dangerous...of course in the past it seems like they whiff big time on the forecast rable rable rable

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
School Supts. are kind of like lemmings, none want to be the first to cancel, be when a few do, then the rest will quickly follow. We cancelled down here last night, Davis Co. scheduled an early out for 12:30, then ended up just cancelling like everyone else.

Looking at the radar, it should be snowing like hell down here, but nothing is falling at all. Air most be too dry still.

Forecast says 3 inches

School superintendents: "We are canceling school today. I suggest you use this time to hug your children and tell your loved ones how much you care about them. I would also take this time to make peace with God or any other spiritual entity that you believe in. It is a dark time, with this natural disaster bearing down upon us, a calamity of which this world has never seen. I wish you luck, and I hope to see you again."

barryb4384

Jun 30, 2006
A district Cedar Rapids size would take 90 minutes to get all kids dropped off by bus. They also would have to decide to dismiss either before or after lunch and with their size, that would mean dismiss at 10:30 a.m. or 1 or 1:30. Our district and other districts I've been in, are smaller but similar...you do a 10:30 dismissal or 1:30. So, if CR has school on time, they really can't get out at 10:30 without ticking off the entire parent community by asking them to get their kids 2 hours after they dropped them off. So they go with 1:30. Snow/ice "really starts up at 1 p.m." as predicted and you just let kids out during the one time of day that no one should be on the road. If storm delays to 2 or 3, you still have buses on the road.

So, with a storm that is guaranteed moisture of some kind with a timeline of midday, you are really stuck as a district. You almost have to cancel. And even if you have school and 142 of your 143 buses make it through the routes fine, that one bus that wrecks will be what is talked about and be what loses you lawsuits.

I wouldn't want to be a Supt., but calling off school with this forecast is a pretty easy call in most cases.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
tenor.gif

• Agree
Reactions: Trice

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
This week we had two students from Hinton killed on the way to school when there was some slick conditions and no 2 hour delay was called. I anticipate all schools at least in NW IA will be very cautious the rest of the winter because no one wants that to happen and feel like it could have been avoided. It is always better to be safe than sorry, especially these days.