We were out-Iowa-ing Iowa

93clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2019
That was the play. From my vantage point, Hankins appeared to grab Hutchinson either by the pants, waist, or shoulders to gain position. I was shocked that it did not draw a flag. I will be curious how it looked on TV or what others saw.
Had the ball not been under thrown I think there would have been a flag. The official reached back but never grabbed it.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Iowa is going to be in a good bowl game. They are good this year, and their schedule is soft like always. They probably won't play a top 15 team unless they get into their CCG. But they had two consecutive weeks with TOs turning into double-digit points. That isn't sustainable.
It’s not but I wonder who can beat them at this juncture? Maybe PSU or Wisconsin?? They have a chance to make their CCG. I’d argue we still do as well, the big 12 is a little weaker than last year is my non conf opinion through week 2 so far

Reactions: criticalobserver

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Just imagine if they had a quarterback who wasnt complete garbage. Seriously, Petras wouldnt start for Kansas.
Theyre gonna win 10 games with defense, special teams, a weak schedule, and a department store mannequin at QB.

Freaking iowa does not make mistakes against us. Every kickoff is a touchback. Every punt pins us deep. No turnovers, no penalties. Our defense played more than well enough to win. But offensively, you have to be prepared to get into a rock fight...grind out yards in the run game and make accurate passes. Those picks were on Purdy for not putting the ball in the right spot. If you have accurate Purdy like we saw from 2nd half Baylor up until the B12 title game, we win going away. It's not like the pass rush was getting to him, he just threw bad passes.

I fully expect iowa to have multiple turnovers against NW and Pudue. They make mistakes against those teams, not against us.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Freaking iowa does not make mistakes against us. Every kickoff is a touchback. Every punt pins us deep. No turnovers, no penalties. Our defense played more than well enough to win. But offensively, you have to be prepared to get into a rock fight...grind out yards in the run game and make accurate passes. Those picks were on Purdy for not putting the ball in the right spot. If you have accurate Purdy like we saw from 2nd half Baylor up until the B12 title game, we win going away. It's not like the pass rush was getting to him, he just threw bad passes.

I fully expect iowa to have multiple turnovers against NW and Pudue. They make mistakes against those teams, not against us.
It's because Iowa treats this game against us with the respect it deserves. It absolutely IS the biggest game on both of our schedules every year, for many reasons. And that's why they are always prepared, because they know how critical it is to their entire brand to keep little brother in its place.

I find it funny reading through these threads how much our fanbase is hanging their hat on "holding Iowa to 173 yards" or whatever. Seriously folks, I get trying to be positive, but its not hard to understand how meaningless "total yards" is. Iowa was in complete control of most of the game. Did our defense do well shutting down their crappy offense and not allowing lots of big plays? Sure. But when their offense needed points, it got them. It got. in the endzone several times. crucially in the first half. Their offense capitalized on every turnover by putting points on the board. And when we made big stops, they calmly and instantly flipped the field with special teams, and forced us into even more mental mistakes. Their offense did exactly what they needed it to do. And they as a team controlled Iowa State throughout. It was an absolute clinic. They won the game exactly as they intended to, and I can assure you give absolute 0 sh**s about their offensive yardage output.

Only losing teams point to these meaningless stats.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
That was the play. From my vantage point, Hankins appeared to grab Hutchinson either by the pants, waist, or shoulders to gain position. I was shocked that it did not draw a flag. I will be curious how it looked on TV or what others saw.

See what you think from this.

Live play approx 2:20 … replay from sideline view at 2:44.

I don’t know if it was clearly P.I., defensive holding more likely — probably a no-call, but I’ve seen it called a penalty thousands of times in my life.

ashmore

Sep 9, 2013
Iowa is going to be in a good bowl game. They are good this year, and their schedule is soft like always. They probably won't play a top 15 team unless they get into their CCG. But they had two consecutive weeks with TOs turning into double-digit points. That isn't sustainable.
We’ll, there’s Penn State a few weeks out. Good chance it’s another Top 10 matchup.

Reactions: criticalobserver

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
First and 10 from your own 10 after forcing Iowa to punt yet again. And you take a shot in the hopes of flipping the field position (I presume)?!?! Only to throw a pick that results in 7 point

That’s why Kirk Ferentz is who/what he is. Because he has an identity/philosophy that he does not waiver from for anything or anyone!

Our best unit is our defense, our best player is Breece. No disrespect to Brock or Charlie or Xavier etc. but I would like to roll with our D and Breece. If/when that stops being effective, then go away from it if you think it’s best. But we were up, with more than a puncher’s chance to flip the field via the run. And if not, our D was game! I know this play was early but it was a turning point.
As good as Breece is, he is not prime Adrian Peterson. In other words, he's not going to beat a stacked box very often. You want one dimensional offense, you must've have enjoyed the UNI game last week

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008
It was there. The throw was late and terrible. Better thrown ball, you either get the reception or a defensive hold. That’s on the QB

Reactions: CyBobby

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

It was the back of his pants. A good tug....not just a oh by the way. Hutchinson had him beat with the inside move. The other obvious was Purdy's first attempt to the end zone with Hankins having BOTH hands on our receivers waste keeping him from jumping. It fell incomplete but both these plays had Herbstreit saying "he got away with it". And we know Herstreit is no fan of ISU. So take it for what it's worth.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Watching replay of INT today, a couple of times, I don't hate the concept of it, since it was set up with a play-action to Breece (not a truly convincing fake, but better than nothing). From execution standpoint, with maximum 20/20 hindsight, looks like Purdy got a little too locked into the deepest option ... there was a good underneath receiver wide open to the right, would've gained at least 20 yards. (It's possible that opening came far too late in the process to be realistic outlet)

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
If Purdy throws that ball two feet further we have a 90-yard TD and nobody is complaining about this play.

The call wasn’t wrong, per se - the play worked, the receiver got behind the defender. The execution on the throw failed.
He threw that ball way too lay which led to him throwing a duck. That could have either been six or a big play if he doesn’t let the WR outrun his arm.

• Agree

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Watching replay of INT today, a couple of times, I don't hate the concept of it, since it was set up with a play-action to Breece (not a truly convincing fake, but better than nothing). From execution standpoint, with maximum 20/20 hindsight, looks like Purdy got a little too locked into the deepest option ... there was a good underneath receiver wide open to the right, would've gained at least 20 yards. (It's possible that opening came far too late in the process to be realistic outlet)

If you are talking of the first INT........you are correct....he was locked in waiting for separation. Problem is....Hankins had Hutchinson's pants to prevent it. Brock should have checked down, but was dead set on the big play. Had Hankins not grabbed I am certain separation would have happened quicker and so would have the pass.

Reactions: cyclones500

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The point isn’t whether the receiver was open or not. It’s the fact that we were beating Kirk at the game he wants to play. So why deviate from that?

Our D was doing their thing and we had just had a methodical drive where we ran the ball and hit the open man when it presented itself, which resulted in 3 points. We had all of the momentum. Keep doing it until you get stopped!
I disagree. If that ball is thrown on time it’s either a catch or overthrown.

• Agree

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If you are talking of the first INT........you are correct....he was locked in waiting for separation. Problem is....Hankins had Hutchinson's pants to prevent it. Brock should have checked down, but was dead set on the big play. Had Hankins not grabbed I am certain separation would have happened quicker and so would have the pass.

Good points -- it's a bummer because to me it was like gray-area holding with the pants/shirt grab - not egregious enough for a flag (probably) but just enough to impede the rhythm, so after that point it looked like an underthrow (then came a lil' shoulder-grab during the jump ball portion).

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

That ball was terribly under-thrown. If out in front, X would have continued to try to create separation which would have drawn the flag. Since it was under-thrown, the small tug was less severe and noticeable so they got away with it.

Last edited: