We were out-Iowa-ing Iowa

tigerclone924

Oct 26, 2009
First and 10 from your own 10 after forcing Iowa to punt yet again. And you take a shot in the hopes of flipping the field position (I presume)?!?! Only to throw a pick that results in 7 point

That’s why Kirk Ferentz is who/what he is. Because he has an identity/philosophy that he does not waiver from for anything or anyone!

Our best unit is our defense, our best player is Breece. No disrespect to Brock or Charlie or Xavier etc. but I would like to roll with our D and Breece. If/when that stops being effective, then go away from it if you think it’s best. But we were up, with more than a puncher’s chance to flip the field via the run. And if not, our D was game! I know this play was early but it was a turning point.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
First and 10 from your own 10 after forcing Iowa to punt yet again. And you take a shot in the hopes of flipping the field position (I presume)?!?! Only to throw a pick that results in 7 point

That’s why Kirk Ferentz is who/what he is. Because he has an identity/philosophy that he does not waiver from for anything or anyone!

Our best unit is our defense, our best player is Breece. No disrespect to Brock or Charlie or Xavier etc. but I would like to roll with our D and Breece. If/when that stops being effective, then go away from it if you think it’s best. But we were up, with more than a puncher’s chance to flip the field via the run. And if not, our D was game! I know this play was early but it was a turning point.

I don't mind the deep shot. Iowa State NEEDED something to open things up over the middle which has been their bread and butter. It's unfortunate Brock couldn't put it in there just a little sooner. Turnovers are always bad and hurt your chances to win, but they could have survived that had they kept things clean the rest of the way. 4 TO's and you get what you signed up for.

daniel22

Mar 4, 2011
Yes, but wasn’t that on first down?
I agree with this poster. Kirk understands how he wants to play the game. It almost doesn’t matter who the lose they keep doing the same thing. No mistakes, conservative, good defense.
My fear today was turnovers and they kept giving an inept offense opportunities

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I’m torn. I would like to see us play them again in a bowl ….. but I also want to be in a much better bowl…
Iowa is going to be in a good bowl game. They are good this year, and their schedule is soft like always. They probably won't play a top 15 team unless they get into their CCG. But they had two consecutive weeks with TOs turning into double-digit points. That isn't sustainable.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't mind the deep shot. Iowa State NEEDED something to open things up over the middle which has been their bread and butter. It's unfortunate Brock couldn't put it in there just a little sooner. Turnovers are always bad and hurt your chances to win, but they could have survived that had they kept things clean the rest of the way. 4 TO's and you get what you signed up for.

I'm probably going to get ripped or banned for being so down on Purdy but I generally don't like deep shots with Purdy.

3 of those turn overs felt like full melt down mode.

tigerclone924

Oct 26, 2009
If Purdy throws that ball two feet further we have a 90-yard TD and nobody is complaining about this play.

The call wasn’t wrong, per se - the play worked, the receiver got behind the defender. The execution on the throw failed.

The point isn’t whether the receiver was open or not. It’s the fact that we were beating Kirk at the game he wants to play. So why deviate from that?

Our D was doing their thing and we had just had a methodical drive where we ran the ball and hit the open man when it presented itself, which resulted in 3 points. We had all of the momentum. Keep doing it until you get stopped!

• Agree
Reactions: Lyddea and Spanky

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
If Purdy throws that ball two feet further we have a 90-yard TD and nobody is complaining about this play.

The call wasn’t wrong, per se - the play worked, the receiver got behind the defender. The execution on the throw failed.

If we are talking of the first interception........had Hankins not grabbed Hutchinson by the pants, there would have been much more separation and more than likely the worst thing would have been an incompletion. That was one of the most obvious no calls of the game.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
If we aren’t handing the ball off or pitching to Breece on first down then that is on whoever is calling the plays.

that was an arrogant play call imo.
Gunner, what do you call running the ball into a stacked box on first down for 0-2 yards over and over again? Is it play calling or a bad read on the RPO?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Iowa is going to be in a good bowl game. They are good this year, and their schedule is soft like always. They probably won't play a top 15 team unless they get into their CCG. But they had two consecutive weeks with TOs turning into double-digit points. That isn't sustainable.
Just imagine if they had a quarterback who wasnt complete garbage. Seriously, Petras wouldnt start for Kansas.
Theyre gonna win 10 games with defense, special teams, a weak schedule, and a department store mannequin at QB.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

Strange, didn't they just play a top 15 team? Penn St could also be ranked in the top 15.

Reactions: criticalobserver

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
If we are talking of the first interception........had Hankins not grabbed Hutchinson by the pants, there would have been much more separation and more than likely the worst thing would have been an incompletion. That was one of the most obvious no calls of the game.
That was the play. From my vantage point, Hankins appeared to grab Hutchinson either by the pants, waist, or shoulders to gain position. I was shocked that it did not draw a flag. I will be curious how it looked on TV or what others saw.

Reactions: tigerclone924

Help Support Us

Become a patron