We STILL control our own destiny (kinda)

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Neat, but I'll believe it when I see it. Tough to have confidence in this team showing up that many weeks in a row or that everything else we have NO control over falls just the way it should.

Reactions: khardbored

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Neat, but I'll believe it when I see it. Tough to have confidence in this team showing up that many weeks in a row or that everything else we have NO control over falls just the way it should.

Thats kind of the point of the thread. We don’t need that much help. Obviously winning out is the most difficult part.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
People really into getting stomped on multiple times. Why do you do this to yourself? People probably think ISU men are a tourney team this year too.

8-4 would be outstanding, we'd be punching above our weight recruiting wise. Covid year was odd. We should realistically finish with 6-8 wins with our recruiting profile and Campbell as coach. (5-6 wins without Campbell) once our recruiting picks up and average of 15 spots I'll be into more hype.
With next years class, argument for this to improve? We have 7-8 players ranked higher than our highest guy from last year (Eli Sanders)

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
But I would say: this discuss shouldn’t be had until we would beat Texas. Then it’s a conversation.

cyclonelifer

Jan 30, 2007
Manchester, England
daveharm.blogspot.com
Come on! Really? Possible yes. Real no. Sorry, just the way it is. I got caught up in the preseason hype and should have known better. But when looking at the facts and seeing 19-20 starters return it was hard not to get excited.

Now this far into the season some questions should be asked.
1. With a team with this much experience and with sky high expectations, come out on game one and play like they wish they weren't there?

2. Then to come out and have a nightmare game of mistakes. What happened to all that experience? The coaching staff needs to do some soul searching this winter and figure out why they can't get their team to come out on fire from day one.

3. So much has been said about the change in spring practice and how it would help later in the year. Couple that with spending a year with a new strength program, yet get physically dominated by the eighth game?

Things may change in the future, but until the team comes out on day one, ready to bury everyone, nothing will change. My high expectations for this year, now face the reality of a 7-5, certainly a good season compared to some I have witnessed by being a fan for over 40 years,

On the bright side, ISU wasn't the only overrated disappointment this year. North Carolina, Indiana, Miami, and of course Clemson, all have fallen from their preseason hype.

Not blaming any of the players, as HCMC says they are 18-22 year olds. Heck, I have two grandkids in that age group. Though, I am starting to question what is going on with the coaches.

You can blame refs all you want, but with the talent and experience ISU has, WVU and Baylor should have never been close games.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
With next years class, argument for this to improve? We have 7-8 players ranked higher than our highest guy from last year (Eli Sanders)

To be a true threat (with Campbell as our coach) we'd need to recruit top 30-35 classes 2-3 years in a row. With a worse coach you'd have to recruit better. I think right now ISU is around 45-50 overall. We're getting more bang for our buck with Campbell. With lots of breaks, bounces and some hidden gems ISU can bounce up and occasionally have a 2020 type year but the talent just isn't here to do that consistently.

Iowa is the number 25-30 recruiter. Where do they generally finish in the rankings? 15-25 I'd say. If you look at their schedule each year they generally outrecruit 8-9 of their opponents.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
To be a true threat (with Campbell as our coach) we'd need to recruit top 30-35 classes 2-3 years in a row. With a worse coach you'd have to recruit better. I think right now ISU is around 45-50 overall. We're getting more bang for our buck with Campbell. With lots of breaks, bounces and some hidden gems ISU can bounce up and occasionally have a 2020 type year but the talent just isn't here to do that consistently.

Iowa is the number 25-30 recruiter. Where do they generally finish in the rankings? 15-25 I'd say. If you look at their schedule each year they generally outrecruit 8-9 of their opponents.
This next class is ranked around 26th or so per 247. Plus has 20 guys coming in. Its a big class that could be nearly equivalent to two classes at this rate. Its a bump in the right direction.

Seeing a shift from mostly relying on low end 3 star recruits, to high end 3 star recruits is a good thing.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: cyputz and twojman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I'm not so sure 2020 has the same result in a normal year.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
I had this really weird feeling that we were going to have a disappointing regular season but still win the Big 12 Championship. If we win this weekend against Texas, we are one good game in Oklahoma (a team we have been very competitive with lately) away from another Big 12 Championship and possibly a 10 or 11 win season. Everyone who has jumped ship can stay off.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’m not counting my eggs before they hatch. We could drop any game the rest of the year. BUT if there was ever a group that can run the table and do the unthinkable, I think we’ve all seen enough to know it’s definitely possible for this group.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I had this really weird feeling that we were going to have a disappointing regular season but still win the Big 12 Championship. If we win this weekend against Texas, we are one good game in Oklahoma (a team we have been very competitive with lately) away from another Big 12 Championship and possibly a 10 or 11 win season. Everyone who has jumped ship can stay off.
Amen to this. Start with this week beating Texas and then take care of Tech. That is VERY doable and should be expected with this team. Then you are setting yourself up for a chance in Norman where all of the marbles are on the table.

I know we would still need to beat TCU at home to finish it, but if we lose to TCU at home this year we don’t deserve a shot at the title anyway.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
People really into getting stomped on multiple times. Why do you do this to yourself? People probably think ISU men are a tourney team this year too.

IMO, Iowa State sized nut cups are expensive as hell, so you feel better about it if you get to use it more often. Gotta set yourself up for that next fastball to the sack.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Come on! Really? Possible yes. Real no. Sorry, just the way it is. I got caught up in the preseason hype and should have known better. But when looking at the facts and seeing 19-20 starters return it was hard not to get excited.

Now this far into the season some questions should be asked.
1. With a team with this much experience and with sky high expectations, come out on game one and play like they wish they weren't there?

2. Then to come out and have a nightmare game of mistakes. What happened to all that experience? The coaching staff needs to do some soul searching this winter and figure out why they can't get their team to come out on fire from day one.

3. So much has been said about the change in spring practice and how it would help later in the year. Couple that with spending a year with a new strength program, yet get physically dominated by the eighth game?

Things may change in the future, but until the team comes out on day one, ready to bury everyone, nothing will change. My high expectations for this year, now face the reality of a 7-5, certainly a good season compared to some I have witnessed by being a fan for over 40 years,

On the bright side, ISU wasn't the only overrated disappointment this year. North Carolina, Indiana, Miami, and of course Clemson, all have fallen from their preseason hype.

Not blaming any of the players, as HCMC says they are 18-22 year olds. Heck, I have two grandkids in that age group. Though, I am starting to question what is going on with the coaches.

You can blame refs all you want, but with the talent and experience ISU has, WVU and Baylor should have never been close games.

Not disagreeing with some of the things you said, but I think people are dissing Baylor, or at least not giving them credit considering what they've done so far. To say that game should have never been close is a stretch, imo. Now did we start out badly, and could/should have won? Yes. Texas had alot of 'almost' explosive plays against them, and I don't care what Texas's record is, their running back is outstanding and Baylor kept him under wraps. Not to mention deal with a couple of their speedy receivers. Will our defense be able to say the same? Hope so! But I'm thinking we might have to score in the 40's to win. Hope I'm wrong tho. (Maybe I've let last week's defense really get to me?)

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

tsirnickesqcy

Oct 13, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Amen to this. Start with this week beating Texas and then take care of Tech. That is VERY doable and should be expected with this team. Then you are setting yourself up for a chance in Norman where all of the marbles are on the table.

I know we would still need to beat TCU at home to finish it, but if we lose to TCU at home this year we don’t deserve a shot at the title anyway.
How do we still control our own destiny? I may have missed some of the scenarios but don’t we still need somebody to lose even if we win out?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron