"We need to learn how to win!"

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I see this phrase used a lot in close defeats and with young or rebuilding teams - like ISU.

How do you learn how to win? You just win, right? Or is there something I missing?

For the most part, the players on our roster have typically- not always - come from good HS programs in which success is common. But yet in college, they forget how to win or succeed?

Would the phrase "We need to make more plays." Be a better statement across the board?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Never give up comes to mind. Never take your foot off the go fast petal. Have a killer instinct.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Never give up comes to mind. Never take your foot off the go fast petal. Have a killer instinct.

Again...another crazy phrase.

I realize human nature is to let down after being up during a game? But a close one? Where does this killer instinct go?

Effort, self-motivation and coaching seem to be constant in continuing to improve.

These dumb sayings of "developing a killer instinct and learning to win" are simply misleading.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I see this phrase used a lot in close defeats and with young or rebuilding teams - like ISU.

How do you learn how to win? You just win, right? Or is there something I missing?

For the most part, the players on our roster have typically- not always - come from good HS programs in which success is common. But yet in college, they forget how to win or succeed?

Would the phrase "We need to make more plays." Be a better statement across the board?

Its like learning to get laid.

Reactions: Al_4_State

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
We need to make more plays in urgent situations. I don't just mean drives at the end of halves.

If you look at the ksu game, before the last td for us, we punted the ball in 3 consecutive drives. Good teams won't do that. We need to not have those lapses in productivity.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
CPR spoke at a clinic and explained his phrase "We have to need to win games, not just want to win games." Similar to the phrase in question. We need food and water, we want cable. He says the players can't accept losing and move on, they have to LEARN from their mistakes to fuel their NEED to win. Therefore, that should clarify the phrase "Need to learn how to win."

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
So, is it true that if you don't use it, you lose it?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
This is the best possible analogy that could be made here and it isn't even close.

We are Andy, the 40 Year Old Virgin. When the cute girl was sucking our toe, we kick her in the face and give her a bloody nose.

Hey, Al. If you could leave your first time experience out of this, we'd all be better off.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
It's making catches on 3rd down. It's making stops on 3rd down. Gang tackling. Not fumbling after you just ran for a 10 yard gain or caught the ball for a 15 yard gain. It's a point of making big plays, not because you have to, but because you just do.

I understand things are going to happen, we are going to throw interceptions, we aren't going to convert on 3rd down, we'll let our opponent convert a 3rd and long, and we will fumble. The problem is, we have to figure out how to not keep doing all of this over and over in the same game.

Another big part of learning to win is not beating yourselves. Make the D make a play on you, if you are on D, it's tackling and dumb pentalites that keep drives going that you should have stopped.

I will say, I think learning to win is just a catch phrase that people like now. Kind of how openfield has turned into "In space" It's something people say to kind of sugarcoat the fact that the team is making too many mistakes to win. Stop making mistakes, stop having mental lapses and you'll win games you should.

Reactions: kingcy

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
CPR spoke at a clinic and explained his phrase "We have to need to win games, not just want to win games." Similar to the phrase in question. We need food and water, we want cable. He says the players can't accept losing and move on, they have to LEARN from their mistakes to fuel their NEED to win. Therefore, that should clarify the phrase "Need to learn how to win."

Thus making the game against KU a great measuring stick in "Learning".

Recently history suggests this game won't be pretty.

2008 - CU game....lost on the 1 yard line. Following game, blow out against Mizzou

2008 - UNLV, lost in OT. Next Game against KU...start fast, can't finish.

2008 - KU - come back was short, next game at BU - blown out.

2007 - Toledo - lost double digit lead in the 2 min...next game against NU, lost by double digits.

Also - its not like the follow game is the only loss or a one time letdown...it's usually the start of some multigame losing streak.

Reactions: isuforlife

bigmark

Apr 21, 2009
Ames, iowa

They have to believe in themselves and each other.....take it on there shoulders and put the past away and push forward!!

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
UNI knows how to win, thats why they can play with anyone.

Its knowing that in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line- teams who know how to win will step up and make the plays

A Huge difference is the mentallity between a team that believes they will lose... they start to believe that something will eventually go wrong and they will lose (just like ISU fans have come to believing)

A winner's mentallity is like when USC had that drive against notre dame in 2005- even on 4th and a mile- everyone knew that usc was going to pull through

or earlier this season when the patriots were losing to the bills by 2 TDs - everyone knew that Tom Brady was going to lead his team back down the field and win

A winner will always step up and make the plays when they matter, and a loser expects something to go wrong. Right now, we are losers :S :( we just are... and CPR knows that, and everyone is trying to change that

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It's making catches on 3rd down. It's making stops on 3rd down. Gang tackling. Not fumbling after you just ran for a 10 yard gain or caught the ball for a 15 yard gain. It's a point of making big plays, not because you have to, but because you just do.

I understand things are going to happen, we are going to throw interceptions, we aren't going to convert on 3rd down, we'll let our opponent convert a 3rd and long, and we will fumble. The problem is, we have to figure out how to not keep doing all of this over and over in the same game.

Another big part of learning to win is not beating yourselves. Make the D make a play on you, if you are on D, it's tackling and dumb pentalites that keep drives going that you should have stopped.

I will say, I think learning to win is just a catch phrase that people like now. Kind of how openfield has turned into "In space" It's something people say to kind of sugarcoat the fact that the team is making too many mistakes to win. Stop making mistakes, stop having mental lapses and you'll win games you should.

Good points. You forgot doing something with the ball when you get a turnover and not letting off the gas when things are going your way.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron