WBB: General Thread of Cyclones Women's Hoops 2021-2022 Season

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Cyclones.tv just released the 3rd video of WBB Game Center, in which Coach Fen and our Big Three react and comment about the historical win at Baylor last season. I hope you guys enjoy it.

BTW, here are the previous two WBB Game Center videos.

watch the 2000 review. That is the epitome of what a team should play like. I remember being at that game and of course seeing Des puke as she was coming down the tunnel. Lol

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Two missing team members of the twelve: Fredrick and Kane.

Kane is working an internship. Fred was in pics the other day so is in Ames I assume.

Interesting that we still will be at only 12, kind of our norm. If you have a senior returning you can have 16 for 2021-22 and than back to 15 after this season. Numbers game is less complicated for ISU since none of our seniors opted to return.

Think the Gophers are at the max. All of their seniors returned so they have a really big roster. Going to be interesting to see how playing time works out for everyone. Last year was a full season of short bench with Covid and injuries, even early enrollee high school gal Katie Borowicz saw significant court time. Something between nobody returning and everybody returning might be easiest.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
That was kind of my point. Twelve minus anyone of them would not be good. Wish just one of our three Seniors woud have stayed.
The way I see it, Maddie didn't return because what happened to her family makes her want to stay closer to home. Kristin didn't return because of her injury history and she probably doesn't want to go through another year of grind (similar to Jadda Buckley who forwent her last year of eligibility). Rae didn't return because realistically there won't be any meaningful playtime for her next season (we are super loaded at the guard positions) and she probably has already her future career planned. Let's just hope Ashley can stay for an extra year because our team of next two years is gonna be the best one in the past decade, unless WNBA comes calling and drafts her in the first round next year.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu and NWICY

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
The way I see it, Maddie didn't return because what happened to her family makes her want to stay closer to home. Kristin didn't return because of her injury history and she probably doesn't want to go through another year of grind (similar to Jadda Buckley who forwent her last year of eligibility). Rae didn't return because realistically there won't be any meaningful playtime for her next season (we are super loaded at the guard positions) and she probably has already her future career planned. Let's just hope Ashley can stay for an extra year because our team of next two years is gonna be the best one in the past decade, unless WNBA comes calling and drafts her in the first round next year.
Yeah, none of our three Seniors were staying you cited why--I knew that. It is that there are surprising number of schools where they will have holdovers. I was talking about having that fortune, not particularly our players specifically.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Yeah, none of our three Seniors were staying you cited why--I knew that. It is that there are surprising number of schools where they will have holdovers. I was talking about having that fortune, not particularly our players specifically.
Well I think different programs have different situations. For our program, no senior returning might be an anomaly this year. If situation permits, I could see a majority of our key players returning for an extra year after finishing their fourth year. Obviously, if our program can stay on top of the league and ranked in the top 25 consistently, I'd expect more of them to return.

Generally speaking, a player is more likely to stay for an extra year if

1) he/she is a key player on the team whose departure will be a significant loss and the team want him/her to stay. (example: Ashley next year fits the bill)

2) he/she loves that sport and his/her team so much that he/she would love to extend his/her college playing career. (example: U of MN senior guard Gadiva Hubbard, source link)

3) he/she thinks there's an unfinished business and wants to help the team achieve certain goal.
(example 1: Sami Williams and Logan Schaben both returned for an extra year because their senior season was cut short by Covid. They had unfinished business and didn't want their college career to end that way. They eventually achieved their goals by leading our softball team to an NCAA tournament berth and the best finish in program history.)

4) his/her team has enjoyed so much success in the past year and he/she would love to go through the process again.
(example: so many our football players have returned for another year because they love the team and enjoy last year's success, and they believe they can complete for Big12 championship and college football playoff in the new season.)

5) the school can offer a graduate degree he/she would like to pursue while still playing;

6) the program has the financial support from the athletic department to afford extra scholarships and the head coach prefers him/her to stay.

7) if he/she wants to transition to coaching so an extra year on the team could be beneficial;

8) The incoming freshman class has his/her relative or close friend who he/she'd love to play with.

etc.

If there are multiple senior teammates who are very close to each other, one person's decision on staying or leaving could affect the decision of others. One thing I know for sure is that our three seniors were extremely close to each other. There's a possibility that they didn't make their decisions entirely on their own. Their future careers, our program's current situation, the discussion with coaching staff at the end of the season, the academic and financial support could all play a role in their final decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: GT25Ump

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
6) the program has the financial support from the athletic department to afford extra scholarships and the head coach prefers him/her to stay.
This doesn't come into play anymore as that was a one time COVID exemption. 21-22 (which we have no super seniors) is the only season where super seniors don't count against the scholly limit. The remaining three impacted classes get the free super senior season option, but if exercised they count against the 15 scholly limit and are merely displacing a new incoming player. BF rarely fills all 15 scholly spots so ISU is probably OK in either scenario.

Reactions: IsUaClone2

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
This doesn't come into play anymore as that was a one time COVID exemption. 21-22 (which we have no super seniors) is the only season where super seniors don't count against the scholly limit. The remaining three impacted classes get the free super senior season option, but if exercised they count against the 15 scholly limit and are merely displacing a new incoming player. BF rarely fills all 15 scholly spots so ISU is probably OK in either scenario.
Yes I agree this extra year will affect the next 4 recruiting classes for sure, especially for head count sports like football, basketball, volleyball, etc. For equivalency sports, there might be less impact if a senior wants to stay. Even a scholarship is available, giving out one more has a financial ramification for some non-revenue sport programs.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'll put this here and some one can move it if they want. Iowa and Baylor both end up at the Cancun challenge. Don't believe they play each other.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Congratulations to Danae Fritz for being named Knoxville High School Female Basketball Player of the Year!

It's pretty special that Kevin Garnett who serves as one of the distinguished guest presenters announced Danae as the winner.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Nice comment from Coach Fen.

I have a request for the people who work inside our WBB program and happen to visit CF and read the posts here. There are a lot of loyal ISU WBB followers who are hungry for more information about the program. If you could step up your social media coverage like our MBB program, I'd truly appreciate it. Our team is going to be a very special one in the upcoming season and they deserve more coverage and attention.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Nice comment from Coach Fen.

I have a request for the people who work inside our WBB program and happen to visit CF and read the posts here. There are a lot of loyal ISU WBB followers who are hungry for more information about the program. If you could step up your social media coverage like our MBB program, I'd truly appreciate it. Our team is going to be a very special one in the upcoming season and they deserve more coverage and attention.

I think old Bill is getting mellow knowing his talented and motivated team does need to be whipped, yelled at, belittled, or prodded to get results. That is good for everyone involved.

• Disagree
Reactions: acoustimac

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
An Ashley Joens update. She's an elementary education major, no wonder kids love her whether it's in basketball camps or classrooms. She's a star who likes to keep a low profile and leads by example. It's kind of opposite to Caitlin Clark who's a little high maintenance according to some people close to the circle. It'd be interesting to see how Ashley would approach this new NIL era because her star power can certainly bring herself a considerable amount of profit, which she truly deserves.

BTW, Ashley finally has her own Wikipedia page. Very nice!

Reactions: acoustimac

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
An Ashley Joens update. She's an elementary education major, no wonder kids love her whether it's in basketball camps or classrooms. She's a star who likes to keep a low profile and leads by example. It's kind of opposite to Caitlin Clark who's a little high maintenance according to some people close to the circle. It'd be interesting to see how Ashley would approach this new NIL era because her star power can certainly bring herself a considerable amount of profit, which she truly deserves.

BTW, Ashley finally has her own Wikipedia page. Very nice!

She should at least get some ads with a certain restaurant chain in eastern Iowa

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron