Wayman Tisdale has Died

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Wow..

If my memory serves me correctly, he was one of the main reason Barry Stevans wasn't named player of the year for the Big 8.

He was one heck of a player.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
THis sucks. I always loved Tisdale. His game was so good. Reminds me of when Barry died also.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Very sad news. He was such a great player and always had a smile on his face. He made the Big 8 proud during his years at OU.

raftercy

Sep 6, 2006
Albia, IA
The first game I ever saw live in Hilton was against Tisdale's Sooners. To try to combat Tisdale's extreme athleticism, Ronnie Harris was given the assignment of guarding Tisdale. If my memory is correct, I think he held Tisdale to 12 points.

Hard to believe that both he and Barry Stevens from that game have both passed on.

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008
Unbelievable...simply unbelievable.

As a big fan of the old Big 8 Conference, I really enjoyed watching Wayman Tisdale on the basketball court. When he retired from the NBA, I became a huge fan of his guitar-playing smooth jazz. I have three of his CDs at home. What a multi-talented individual, not to mention a tremendous human being.

When I went to his website, I noticed he was scheduled to play in Kansas City in June and in Omaha in July. What a shame.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I agree with cykofan, he always played with a smile, you had to appreciate his play even when he was killing ISU.

trScott

Apr 20, 2007
It is making me feel old and sad!

I loved Tisdale (after he left Oklahoma), but could never stand his coach Billy Tubbs.

Listening to a game on the radio versus Oklahoma, OU was up about 30 points and they kept pounding the ball into the Tis. Believe he ended up with around fifty points.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Imagine an all-american player like him staying in school 3 years like he did in today's world. Yeah, he left early but 3 time All America honors is a pretty solid resume. In today's college basketball, anyone on the AA list probably goes pro (I know there have been exceptions).

Sorry, to hear about this. He was a good guy. I loved his defensive play. I recently watched the OU KU national championship game on Classic.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I have many great ISU basketball memories and the 1984 game with Oklahoma at Hilton is top three. They were a juggernaut and ISU dealt them their only Big 8 loss of the year; the crowd was crazy and all over the hated Billy Tubbs. I don't know why this has stuck with me, but Tisdale was standing by the scorer's table in the second half waiting to check in. He's looking up into the crowd with a huge smile on his face, kinda like, "it doesn't get any better than this"....

It was easy to "hate" Billy Tubbs, his kid, Mookie Blaylock, Stacy King, etc., but even though Tisdale was killing you, you couldn't help but like him. I didn't know the story about Blake Griffin wearing his retired number, but it's very cool and that's not where the commonalities end. There was an older Tisdale on that 1984 Sooner squad...

RIP Waymon Tisdale...

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
Imagine an all-american player like him staying in school 3 years like he did in today's world. Yeah, he left early but 3 time All America honors is a pretty solid resume. In today's college basketball, anyone on the AA list probably goes pro (I know there have been exceptions).

Sorry, to hear about this. He was a good guy. I loved his defensive play. I recently watched the OU KU national championship game on Classic.

Tyler Hansbrough is probably about the only example, and probably will be the only example for years to come, of a 3-time 1st team all american.

Tisdale was fun to watch. He was playing when I first started getting obsessed with ISU basketball. He always played with a smile. It pissed me off then, but as time has gone on, you miss seeing guys having as much fun as he seemed to have while playing.

As for the OU/KU national championship game, he actually wasn't involved with that. That was in 1988 and OU's star that season was Stacey King. They also had Harvey Grant (Horace's twin brother)...