Way too early starting lineup talk for the 23-24 season

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I don't think Watson will ever be a (+) offensive player. He didn't show much of any sort of reliable offensive game last year outside of cutting for easy dunks, shooting 21% from 3 and 43% from FT. Any defense that moderately keys in on him will shut him down. That being said, his length on the perimeter gives him the potential to be an elite college perimeter defender and fit absolutely perfect into TJ's chaos/trapping defense. If we have capable offensive players drawing defenders and allowing Watson to slash and cut to the rim, he will be a (+) college basketball player.
I think this goes with what I was trying to say.

He's going to have nights where he's clicking and hitting shots, but he's not going to be a consistent big-time scorer, especially in the pull-up style. His shot percentages last year back that up. Truly a score in spurts kind of guy. His offense may look like Kunc at times - hot or cold depending on the matchups with less outside the arc.

I think the goal is that we can have some guys like Watson that can play great or elite defense and not be liabilities on offense - average maybe 6-8ppg. I could see him as a future 1st Team All Big 12 Defensive Player.

Reactions: Gibbon

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I definitely see the value in a 3 and D guy. Chris Babb was elite at it. Although he was a lot more versatile defensively in that he could guard 1-4. I just think if Watson is a 3 that could maybe flex to the 4, who is he playing in front of? The transfer Jones is a proven shooter at the D1 level and he has a handle…has played some PG. Watson isn’t playing ahead of Omaha at the 3 or 4. He’s nowhere near the shooter that Momcilivic is. Not the physical inside player that Tre King is. It just seems like he’s kind of the odd man out this season.

Now, I could see him playing in a switch everything defense with Ward, Omaha, Gilbert and Lipsey, but where do the points come from there? That’s an elite defensive team, but pretty much all scoring via dribble penetration.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't think Watson will ever be a (+) offensive player. He didn't show much of any sort of reliable offensive game last year outside of cutting for easy dunks, shooting 21% from 3 and 43% from FT. Any defense that moderately keys in on him will shut him down. That being said, his length on the perimeter gives him the potential to be an elite college perimeter defender and fit absolutely perfect into TJ's chaos/trapping defense. If we have capable offensive players drawing defenders and allowing Watson to slash and cut to the rim, he will be a (+) college basketball player.

He's probably never going to create for himself much or be the centerpiece of an offense. But if he can hit 35%+ from three at decent volume (so teams can't sag off/he can create spacing) and be a clever enough and quick enough backdoor cutter to get himself some easy bunnies at the rim when fed by a competent PG... then he's at least a net neutral if not a net positive impact on the offense's efficiency.

Combine that with a plus defender and you have a solid complementary piece.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Watson at worst will be a good defensive player. He started to look more comfortable on offense towards the end of the year so hopefully that continues to progress.

OtownClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2021
He took a total of 19 threes last year. He went 4 for 19. He makes 2 more, he is over 31%. 3 more, he is almost 37%. There are countless examples of players developing a significantly better shot over time. Playing in the Big 12 as a freshman is tough. I am certainly not projecting him to be a knock down shooter as a sophomore, but I wouldn't be shocked if he is a reliable shooter. He shot better in high school and small sample sizes just can't be relied upon. His defense and athleticism gives him a chance to potentially get on the floor if his shot is improving/falling. The lineup is crowded this year, but it is too early to count him out.