SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Lipsey
Gilbert
Watson
Biliew
King

That's your NASTY lineup if you need stops. Watson has the second highest defensive ceiling on the team after Biliew

I was mostly making a joke... you know, Watson and Holmes, the game is on... but you certainly could put together a "tank build" (if this were an RPS game) focused on defense like that.

I don't think that lineup is too terrible, but it is probably missing some dynamic guard play on offense that you have with Pav and C-Jones out there. It would lean on Lipsey and Omaha to score.

Wonder if Holmes will play overseas? He was a bright guy that was interested in politics so maybe he wants to chase that dream instead.

Remember? He's going to be hosting Meet the Press someday.

:D

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
I was mostly making a joke... you know, Watson and Holmes, the game is on... but you certainly could put together a "tank build" (if this were an RPS game) focused on defense like that.

I don't think that lineup is too terrible, but it is probably missing some dynamic guard play on offense that you have with Pav and C-Jones out there. It would lean on Lipsey and Omaha to score.

Remember? He's going to be hosting Meet the Press someday.

:D
Holmes- BRE 2036

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
BRE is best in 2-3 minute stretches when you need muscle over skill. If he plays more than 10-12 minutes a game, his ability to affect the outcome turns negative fast IMO..

According to CW and Blum, Ward barely new the system by the time the season started.. Ward also was tested at the 4 last off-season since the thought was Osun and BRE would take most of the 5 minutes.. There is no Osun this year so he's100% at the 5..

In non-con, I'd split the center minutes at 15-17 for Tre King, 10 for Ward, 10 for BRE, and the remaining 3-5 minutes for experimenting before Big 12 play.. Adjust the 10/10 split for Ward and BRE based on play. If Ward takes a big step forward, you could go Tre 12-15, Ward 12-15 and BRE 8-10.

Against Dickinson and KU.. Ward and BRE likely need to play more. Against Texas' Disu, you likely need King, Ward and Biliew to match his athletic profile.

Reactions: ZRF

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
When we were at our best last year - with a healthy Grill - we were playing 3 guards the majority of time.
Have to imagine TJ tries to bottle that up again, especially with how versatile Omaha is defensively guarding various positions.

OtownClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2021
When we were at our best last year - with a healthy Grill - we were playing 3 guards the majority of time.
Have to imagine TJ tries to bottle that up again, especially with how versatile Omaha is defensively guarding various positions.
I would be surprised if we didn't see 3 of the 4 guards (Lipsey, Gilbert, Paveletzke, and C Jones) starting. The only path to that, assuming health, would be if we end up starting both Omaha and Milan and decide we still need a 5 (Ward, King, or R Jones.) Would we start two freshman, a sophomore, a junior and a senior? (Or 2 FR, 2 SO, 1 SR).

That being said, starting doesn't always equate to the most minutes played for TJ. We have seen that with R Jones and Gabe in the past.

The battle for minutes is super interesting this year. Seeing how the new guys translate and adjust is fun as is seeing how the returners have improved. Especially this time of year, no one is out of the mix and everyone has a chance to earn a role. Realistically, we won't play everyone and it is likely some pretty talented players will be out of the rotation.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Enjoyed reading the article on Lipsey and the added talent. Sounds like the guards have more complete games this season. I think we're going to see a lot of combinations in the lineup depending on match-ups. Tamin, Gilbert, and Omaha are the only 3 I see being locked in at this point. I don't have a problem with any combination of players thrown in with them.

Reactions: Jer

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
BRE is best in 2-3 minute stretches when you need muscle over skill. If he plays more than 10-12 minutes a game, his ability to affect the outcome turns negative fast IMO..

According to CW and Blum, Ward barely new the system by the time the season started.. Ward also was tested at the 4 last off-season since the thought was Osun and BRE would take most of the 5 minutes.. There is no Osun this year so he's100% at the 5..

In non-con, I'd split the center minutes at 15-17 for Tre King, 10 for Ward, 10 for BRE, and the remaining 3-5 minutes for experimenting before Big 12 play.. Adjust the 10/10 split for Ward and BRE based on play. If Ward takes a big step forward, you could go Tre 12-15, Ward 12-15 and BRE 8-10.

Against Dickinson and KU.. Ward and BRE likely need to play more. Against Texas' Disu, you likely need King, Ward and Biliew to match his athletic profile.

Barring foul trouble I think Jones should be capped at about 8 minutes max, maybe even more preferable to 5 minutes. King was underutilized much of the year, especially at the 5, and Ward came on in a big way toward the end. Ward has great energy, can rebound well, and is a phenomenal weakside defender. With Ward, Watson, and Omaha this team has the potential to play some killer zone. Given our foul troubles it was kind of inexcusable how unprepared the team was at running and executing a zone. By the end of the year, especially with Watson and Ward on the floor, it was adequate to effective.

Everyone knows I'm not a Jones guy. But with Biliew, King, and Ward he really shouldn't be getting any minutes. And if they are even remotely close to King's or Ward's it will likely be hurting the team.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think most years Momcilovic would start for us as a true freshman. I think he’s going to have to come off the bench this year then become a starter after Omaha is one and done. Especially with all the experience we have at guard this year too.

It’s nice having a deep team this year.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I think most years Momcilovic would start for us as a true freshman. I think he’s going to have to come off the bench this year then become a starter after Omaha is one and done. Especially with all the experience we have at guard this year too.

It’s nice having a deep team this year.
It'll be really interesting to see if Momcilovic is too good to keep out of the starting lineup. If not, there could be some serious instant offense and scoring punch coming off the bench with Momcilovic/Pav/Curtis Jones

Reactions: Sigmapolis

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
It'll be really interesting to see if Momcilovic is too good to keep out of the starting lineup. If not, there could be some serious instant offense and scoring punch coming off the bench with Momcilovic/Pav/Curtis Jones
I think it really depends on the transfer guards, and what type of lineup they want. We’ve had some success starting 3 and even 4 guards. Does Omaha play small ball 5 with Momcilovic at the 4? Does King develop into a great small ball 5? Is Ward ready to start at the 5 after actually having an off-season to learn the system and obviously got some playing experience last year while being behind everyone else because he got here so late.

Obviously Lipsey is starting at 1.
2 could be any of the three transfer guards.
3 could be any of the transfer guards or Omaha.
4 could be Omaha, King, or Momcilovic
5 could be Ward, King, Jones, Omaha

There’s been a lot of years where Hamilton probably would play a lot even. He still could. Fish has drawn a lot of Ejim comparisons who was pretty solid early and obviously great his last two years. Watson played pretty well last year as a freshman, has some high upside as well.

A lot of unknowns, some experience but a lot from a lower level, really talented freshman class. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I don’t think running out of gas will be a problem this year. Finding minutes for everyone might be the biggest problem.

Reactions: alexssdean12

OtownClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2021
I think it really depends on the transfer guards, and what type of lineup they want. We’ve had some success starting 3 and even 4 guards. Does Omaha play small ball 5 with Momcilovic at the 4? Does King develop into a great small ball 5? Is Ward ready to start at the 5 after actually having an off-season to learn the system and obviously got some playing experience last year while being behind everyone else because he got here so late.

Obviously Lipsey is starting at 1.
2 could be any of the three transfer guards.
3 could be any of the transfer guards or Omaha.
4 could be Omaha, King, or Momcilovic
5 could be Ward, King, Jones, Omaha

There’s been a lot of years where Hamilton probably would play a lot even. He still could. Fish has drawn a lot of Ejim comparisons who was pretty solid early and obviously great his last two years. Watson played pretty well last year as a freshman, has some high upside as well.

A lot of unknowns, some experience but a lot from a lower level, really talented freshman class. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I don’t think running out of gas will be a problem this year. Finding minutes for everyone might be the biggest problem.
If Gilbert’s shot is looking Big 12 ready, I would be surprised if he doesn’t start due to overall athleticism and play making. I would also be surprised if Omaha started at the 5, especially early on. I could see lineups with Omaha and Tre or Omaha and Milan as the two biggest players on the court at times. With Milan as the other forward, it would make sense for Omaha to guard the tougher defensive matchup due to strength and athleticism. So I could see defensive minutes at the 5.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think Omaha is going to disappoint a few people on the offensive side of the ball that are going to expect 18ppg. He has elite defensive skills and athleticism, but hasn't yet developed as much offensively, especially the jump shot. That's the only thing keeping him as a late 1st round projection rather than Lottery Pick range.

Tamin doesn't and shouldn't lead the team in scoring, anybody thinking otherwise doesn't understand TJ's goals or Tamin's skill set. He's a facilitator first and foremost as a true PG, much like Monte.

I think Pav and Milan are going to be bright sparks and much needed floor spreaders. In a pre-portal era, Milan is a possible Big 12 Freshman of the Year candidate but will split time with Pav.

Gilbert and Ward are my candidates for possible breakout players.

Last edited:

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I think Omaha is going to disappoint a few people on the offensive side of the ball that are going to expect 18ppg. He has elite defensive skills and athleticism, but hasn't yet developed as much offensively, especially the jump shot. That's the only thing keeping him as a late 1st round projection rather than Lottery Pick range.

Tamin doesn't and shouldn't lead the team in scoring, anybody thinking otherwise doesn't understand TJ's goals or Tamin's skill set. He's a facilitator first and foremost as a true PG, much like Monte.

I think Pav and Milan are going to be bright sparks and much needed floor spreaders.

I really hope no one is expecting a true freshman to average 18 a game in the Big 12. That's incredibly rare.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I really hope no one is expecting a true freshman to average 18 a game in the Big 12. That's incredibly rare.
Agree, but people are really getting their hype in full gear about him. Just because he's a certain 1 and done doesn't mean it's in the traditional offense-oriented style. There will be games he breaks out because of his physicality, but the Big 12 is going to be a new beast for him to tackle offensively.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Barring foul trouble I think Jones should be capped at about 8 minutes max, maybe even more preferable to 5 minutes. King was underutilized much of the year, especially at the 5, and Ward came on in a big way toward the end. Ward has great energy, can rebound well, and is a phenomenal weakside defender. With Ward, Watson, and Omaha this team has the potential to play some killer zone. Given our foul troubles it was kind of inexcusable how unprepared the team was at running and executing a zone. By the end of the year, especially with Watson and Ward on the floor, it was adequate to effective.

Everyone knows I'm not a Jones guy. But with Biliew, King, and Ward he really shouldn't be getting any minutes. And if they are even remotely close to King's or Ward's it will likely be hurting the team.
I agree. I love Jones' attitude and what he has done and his dedication, but he has a serious weakness that some other players don't have. With so much talent between Ward, Watson, King, and Omaha, I think Jones is at the end of that list for playing time in a perfect world.

I'll put it this way - if Jones is averaging more than 8-10mpg, something isn't working (injuries, consistent foul trouble, etc).

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

I think Pav and Milan are going to be bright sparks and much needed floor spreaders. In a pre-portal era, Milan is a possible Big 12 Freshman of the Year candidate but will split time with Pav.

Have you been paying attention this summer at all? He still has a ways to go, but his shooting has come a long way, and that was showcased during the U19 tryouts. I know you have inside info, but Omaha's offensive game looks fine and plenty developed for a guy of his athletic caliber at 18 years old.

Nobody is expecting 18 ppg.