Watch the NCAA volleyball selection show with the team

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Thanks, I actually think we are in as good shape as we have ever been. It is too bad, I understand Hockaday is ailing. Her knee has been giving her problems all year. Still she plays on. This team has lots of good options. I was really impressed with Matlock in the Texas match. She had some really key plays. Obviously Malloy was outstanding, the team has lots of really good options. It is going to be hard for opposing teams to pick a strategy against this team.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
What makes you say this? Obviously you can't discount anyone in the tournament, especially a Pac 12 team, but I'd like to think our odds are pretty good with a home crowd.

Oh, we're the favorite no doubt, and Cal still has to get past Carolina (BTW, those two teams also played in the first round last year). Cal's had a mediocre year, but Feller is a great coach, they made the title game in 2010, were ranked #1 in the country for a few weeks last year, and have great athletes. And they play in the best VB conference in the nation.
I just wish Neb and A&M were still in the Big 12 for competitive reasons - we would be more battle-tested...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Oh, we're the favorite no doubt, and Cal still has to get past Carolina (BTW, those two teams also played in the first round last year). Cal's had a mediocre year, but Feller is a great coach, they made the title game in 2010, were ranked #1 in the country for a few weeks last year, and have great athletes. And they play in the best VB conference in the nation.
I just wish Neb and A&M were still in the Big 12 for competitive reasons - we would be more battle-tested...

Don't you think the 11 matches against ranked teams (and only 5 at home) battle tested our gals? Asking because I think you know more about hoops and volleyball than I do. I think finishing against at top 4 team last night was a good intro to the tournament especially after playing West Virginia (thatwould have been a bad one to set the tone for NCAA play).

BTW, I don't think my Husker buddy at work (his wife played at NU) will be excited to see KSU again at NU again this year.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Don't you think the 11 matches against ranked teams (and only 5 at home) battle tested our gals?

Who knows? We looked tremendous last night, and maybe are actually underseeded. With our back row attack, we present problems for anyone right now. Maybe we'll destroy our 2 opponents this week...just saying that I miss playing home-and-home with Nebraska and A&M. West Virginia, TCU and TTech are very weak.
BTW, Nebraska got no favors with the teams in their regional. Wow. And gee, Hawaii got simply robbed again by not being seeded. How does Kentucky get a seed and Hawaii not?
And while I'm a Penn State fan, no Pac 12 team in their region? Hmmm...

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
This team seems about as battle-tested as any recent teams. That was a very tough start to the season. Still played Nebraska. Kansas and KState were more of a threat this year. True, the two additions to the conference did not add to the level of competition. However, Colorado was not a powerhouse in VB. Texas A&M did well last year in the Big 12, but before that they were middle to bottom. A&M likely benefited from being in the SEC, which is not as strong of a VB conference, top to bottom. In their division, 5 of the 7 teams had losing records in the conference. Only 5 of the 13 schools made the tourney, and only one other in A&M's division. The Big 12 has 5 out of 9 schools.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This team seems about as battle-tested as any recent teams. That was a very tough start to the season. Still played Nebraska. Kansas and KState were more of a threat this year. True, the two additions to the conference did not add to the level of competition. However, Colorado was not a powerhouse in VB. Texas A&M did well last year in the Big 12, but before that they were middle to bottom. A&M likely benefited from being in the SEC, which is not as strong of a VB conference, top to bottom. In their division, 5 of the 7 teams had losing records in the conference. Only 5 of the 13 schools made the tourney, and only one other in A&M's division. The Big 12 has 5 out of 9 schools.

We'll see how things shake out. I would rate A&M better than Kansas. KU should not have been seeded, and I think A&M should have. KU beat Kansas State twice, and beat us, OK, but I still don't get their high RPI.

Last edited:

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Ticket info? TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Tickets available Noon - Monday

NCAA Volleyball Tournament Central - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

[h=1]First and Second Round Ticket Information | Click Here For Hilton Colisem Seating Chart[/h]Tickets
Note: All tickets must be purchased as a three-match, two-day package until the day of the first match at 3:30 PM
>> All Session ticket prices: Adults: $14; Youth (high school or younger): $10

>> Single Session ticket prices:
First Round - Adults: $10; Youth: $7 (high school or younger)
Second Round - Adults: $8; Youth: $6 (high school or younger)
Reserved Seat: All Session tickets are reserved on lower level sides (sections 109-113, 131-135)
All-session tickets go on sale beginning at Noon CST Monday and can be purchased as listed below:
Iowa State Ticket Office: 1-888-478-2925 or online by clicking here (tickets can be purchased starting at Noon on Monday). Tickets can also be purchased in person at the Iowa State Athletics Ticket Office.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
We'll see how things shake out. I would rate A&M better than Kansas. KU should not have been seeded, and I think A&M should have. KU beat Kansas State twice, and beat us, OK, but I still don't get their high RPI.

I can't figure out KU's high RPI either. Must be their number of wins. They didn't play a very difficult non-conf schedule.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I can't figure out KU's high RPI either. Must be their number of wins. They didn't play a very difficult non-conf schedule.

KUs only bad loss was to Baylor. There losses out of conference were to Arkansas and Notre Dame, both made the tourney. Everybody talks about the loss to 12-18 Syracuse, which was bad, but Illinois did not help. The runner-up last year was probably scheduled to a double-header to help RPI, but the finished 14-16 and did not make the dance.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

Couldn't disagree more. With the non-conference teams they have played, our girls are definitely battle-tested. That schedule almost broke this team. It's a testament to this team's heart that they have achieved what they have this season.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Don't you think the 11 matches against ranked teams (and only 5 at home) battle tested our gals? Asking because I think you know more about hoops and volleyball than I do. I think finishing against at top 4 team last night was a good intro to the tournament especially after playing West Virginia (thatwould have been a bad one to set the tone for NCAA play).

BTW, I don't think my Husker buddy at work (his wife played at NU) will be excited to see KSU again at NU again this year.

K-State finished 4-6 over their last 10 matches, and their 4 wins were TCU, Texas Tech, WVU, and Baylor (combined conference record 14-50). Their last quality win was beating us in October. I have a feeling, they will be out in the 2nd round, if they can beat UNI in the opening round.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron