Watch the NCAA volleyball selection show with the team

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
The volleyball program announced that, again, they are inviting fans to Johnny's in Hilton Coliseum to watch the selection show with them this Sunday afternoon. Just wanted to make sure people who might be interested saw that this was happening. Hope we get to host 1st and 2nd round games! Beating Texas will go a long way in determining that. Am pulling for ISU to be placed in the Berkeley region (for purely selfish reasons - so I have another excuse to go!).

From the Cyclones.com article: AMES, Iowa – The Cyclone volleyball team invites fans to join the Cyclones at Johnny's at Hilton Coliseum on Sunday, Nov. 25, beginning at 2:45 p.m. CST, to watch the 2012 NCAA Tournament Selection Show on ESPNU. The selection show is slated for 3 p.m. Fans may enter Hilton through the Southeast doors.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Chances pretty good that we get to host the Opening rounds?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Chances pretty good that we get to host the Opening rounds?

I say the chances are 50-50, and I know CJL is not counting on us hosting. Coaches are saying that the selection committee is not married to RPI rankings (to seed teams) as in the past, so that's good news for us, perhaps...

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I say the chances are 50-50, and I know CJL is not counting on us hosting. Coaches are saying that the selection committee is not married to RPI rankings (to seed teams) as in the past, so that's good news for us, perhaps...

Agree that it's still a coin flip at this point. If anyone has a question on whether or not the selection committee pays attention to ANYthing other than when their coffee break is, they just need to look at a few years ago when the top FOUR Big 12 teams were all placed in the same region. Hopefully our play since the first weekend in October shows we deserve to host (only one loss since then, on the road to Texas, in 5 sets).

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Agree that it's still a coin flip at this point. If anyone has a question on whether or not the selection committee pays attention to ANYthing other than when their coffee break is, they just need to look at a few years ago when the top FOUR Big 12 teams were all placed in the same region. Hopefully our play since the first weekend in October shows we deserve to host (only one loss since then, on the road to Texas, in 5 sets).

Are there examples of non-top-16 RPI teams getting selected to host? If there are (or if that may be a new mindset), one would think ISU is the perfect candidate, especially given the win streak and the top-5 wins.

Unfortunately, I also recall that the vball committee has made a habit of coming up with at least one (if not more) highly debatable decisions in the bracket.

Wherever ISU plays, I sure as heck wouldn't want to play us right now. I would think there might be pressure on the committee to not put us in Omaha or Minnesota, since we would threaten the higher seed, having beat Nebraska earlier in the year, and beat Minnesota in last year's regionals.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Are there examples of non-top-16 RPI teams getting selected to host? If there are (or if that may be a new mindset), one would think ISU is the perfect candidate, especially given the win streak and the top-5 wins.

Unfortunately, I also recall that the vball committee has made a habit of coming up with at least one (if not more) highly debatable decisions in the bracket.

Your first question is a good one - I do not know. And yes, the committee has made some very debatable and controversial seeding decisions over the years, not just those involving Big 12 teams.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not sure how much yesterdays big win will play into this. I'll bet they already had this done before the final matches. I think our 10 match winning streak should account for something but I thinking it is just as likely that we will get screwed. Wildcard might be our coach who is respected and recent ISU success in NCAAs.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Is there anyway to see the brackets? I have been looking around and have been unable to locate any news.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Is there anyway to see the brackets? I have been looking around and have been unable to locate any news.

West Lafayette
1. Penn State
Binghamton
Yale
Bowling Green

Ohio State
Notre Dame
E. Tennessee State
16. Kentucky

9. Florida State
Hofstra
Colorado State
Purdue

Creighton
Marquette
Liberty
8. Minnesota

Omaha Regional
5. Oregon
N. Colorado
Pepperdine
Dayton

Oklahoma
Arizona State
New Mexico State
12. BYU

13. Washington
C. Arkansas
Santa Clara
Hawaii

Kansas State
Northern Iowa
MD-Eastern Shore
4. Nebraska

Austin Regional
3. Texas
Colgate
NC State
Texas A&M

Miami (FL)
Coll. Of Charleston
Tulsa
14. Florida

11. Kansas
Cleveland State
Wichita State
Arkansas

Saint Mary's
San Diego State
Fairfield
6. USC

Berkeley Regional
7. UCLA
LIU Brooklyn
Michigan State
San Diego

Tennessee
Michigan
Belmont
10. Louisville

15. Iowa State
IP-Fort Wayne
California
North Carolina

W. Kentucky
Loyola Marymount
Jackson State
2. Stanford

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
Berkeley Regional! So excited, considering this will probably be the only time I'd get to see the Cyclones in person (in any sport) all year.

If any of you are planning on making the trip out here and have any questions about the area, feel free to shoot me a message!

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames
ouch bottom side is brutal Top side gives Penn St got a gift, a lot of familiar opponents they have already beaten if things go to seed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron