Washington hires Jedd Fisch

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Like I said earlier in this thread, unless you live out West, spend time there, or know some UW alum people don't realize how high expectations are there. Michigan has historically never really been a national championship contender either but they have that expectation. 9-3 is Michigan football historically.
Totally agree and I do know UW alums but aparently have a different experience. Again I never brought up national titles and would agree to disagree on that as well. Michigan wants a team that can beat OSU and win the big ten. The natty this year was a very welcome surprise

Reactions: deadeyededric

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You stated Washington shouldn’t expect 10 win seasons since they do it 20 percent of the time. Highlighting expectations don’t meet reality most of the time.
Again the expectation at Michigan hasn’t been winning national championships. It’s been beating Ohio state and getting into the playoffs to compete for one. That is what alums expect, not what Walmart wolverines want. Two different things.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Totally agree and I do know UW alums but aparently have a different experience. Again I never brought up national titles and would agree to disagree on that as well. Michigan wants a team that can beat OSU and win the big ten. The natty this year was a very welcome surprise
But isnt 11+ wins the expectation at Michigan? Historically they rarely even win double digits.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Look at those lists as they spit them out. They're just lists of coaches who've had some success at conferences outside the Big 2.
Same way the same lists immediately after Saban retired were just the coaches of teams from the top 10. It's not reporting, just spitballing on the fly.

Exactly, Vannini has an article in the Athletic today that lists FOURTEEN possible coaching candidates. That is not reporting, it is just click bait net casting.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
But isnt 11+ wins the expectation at Michigan? Historically they rarely even win double digits.
The expectation is to compete for the big ten title every year, beat MSU, and win more often than not against OSU. That’s been historically the goal.

Now it’s beat OSU and get into the playoff. If you’re able to beat OSU the double digit win season usually come with that. It’s why the OSU game is so important every year, it’s a measuring stick.

Edit* Michigan got hit with a big dose of reality with the rich rod and hole hires and the battles with admissions, that really toned down the absurd expectations that you only hear from Walmart wolverines now

• Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Again the expectation at Michigan hasn’t been winning national championships. It’s been beating Ohio state and getting into the playoffs to compete for one. That is what alums expect, not what Walmart wolverines want. Two different things.

Michigan has gone to the playoffs 27% of the time in its existence. Given its 27% how is that perceived as more rational that UW fans expecting 10 win season that happen on a 20 % rate? Once again highlighting expectations generally don’t match reality.

And sorry, for a national brand team you can’t separate the voices of Walmart wolverines from alums. As just an anecdote my ex BIL is a UM alum as is his whole family and they expect undefeated every year.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Michigan has gone to the playoffs 27% of the time in its existence. Given its 27% how is that perceived as more rational that UW fans expecting 10 win season that happen on a 20 % rate? Once again highlighting expectations generally don’t match reality.

And sorry, for a national brand team you can’t separate the voices of Walmart wolverines from alums. As just an anecdote my ex BIL is a UM alum as is his whole family and they expect undefeated every year.
Yeah we can trade anecdotes all day, I’m an alum as well as many of my friends and friends family’s and no one thinks that way. Also I do separate the Walmart wolverines, they have no connection to the school and only picked Michigan because they want to support a winner

Re-evaluate my quote again though, it’s beat OSU and make the playoffs. When michiagn beats non fickell OSU they get into the playoffs 66% of the time and win the big ten 100% of the time in modern history. That’s why the OSU game matters in the playoff era.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Yeah we can trade anecdotes all day, I’m an alum as well as many of my friends and friends family’s and no one thinks that way. Also I do separate the Walmart wolverines, they have no connection to the school and only picked Michigan because they want to support a winner

Re-evaluate my quote again though, it’s beat OSU and make the playoffs. When michiagn beats non fickell OSU they get into the playoffs 66% of the time and win the big ten 100% of the time in modern history. That’s why the OSU game matters in the playoff era.
Thats quite the moving goal post!!!

• Haha
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Hahaha that why I put those things together, my bad for not being clearer on that one, it’s so common in discussions with Michigan alums it’s kinda assumed so that’s on me.
All good. Like I said I used to be surrounded by UM alum. I’ve heard ton of hilarious coping and rationalizations that border on insanity over the years. Including the gem that the coaches lost to App State on purpose to fire up the team for a national championship run

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
All good. Like I said I used to be surrounded by UM alum. I’ve heard ton of hilarious coping and rationalizations that border on insanity over the years. Including the gem that the coaches lost to App State on purpose to fire up the team for a national championship run
The copium was strong for that loss because at the time it was inconceivable to the fan base. You’re also right there are insane fans that do think that way but that sentiment isn’t usually that widespread from real alums (in my personal experience).

Also starting next year the expectation will shift to being in the playoff every year regardless due to the expanded playoff format. Not getting in won’t have people calling for the staffs heads but multiple years in a row with the new format will make that seat very hot.

hawksuck75

Mar 25, 2006
Chicago, IL
As an Oregon alum I've been to Washington for games and they do it right. Elite stadium experience, academics and fanbase. With them moving to BIG things will get much tougher and curious how they would recruit as they have a harder time recruiting nationally compared to UO/USC.

Also, my take on the fan base is they expect 8-10 win seasons annually and playoffs every 3-4 years or so. The've made the CFP twice and put alot more into FB than MBB.

Last edited:

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
As an Oregon alum I've been to Washington for games and they do it right. Elite stadium experience, academics and fanbase. With them moving to BIG things will get much tougher and curious how they would recruit as they have a harder time recruiting nationally compared to UO/USC.

Also, my take on the fan base is they expect 8-10 win seasons annually and playoffs every 3-4 years or so. The've made the CFP twice and put alot more into FB than MBB.
Similar thoughts and expectations for them.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
Interim Police Chief Adrian Diaz told a city council panel this week Seattle has seen more than a 95% increase in shots fired and a 171% increase in people being shot, compared to last year.

The SPD's strategic plan includes hiring more officers. Beach, meanwhile, said a fix is needed now.
“A lot of people don't like this, but I've been saying this from the very beginning. Bring the National Guard in," said Beach.

Seattle Crime Rate
My guy, whoever is the coach of UW’s football team is not going to be anywhere near any sort of danger. You think Campbell and his family would get a nice studio apartment on the wrong side of the tracks?

There’s more millionaires in Seattle than all of Iowa, they have nice parts of town. Open up your mind a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.