Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
For the past several years, we've traveled to Kansas City for the MBB Big 12 tournament and considered it a short vacation. We stay the entire time and usually use the same "way up high" tickets we got through Iowa State. While this year will likely be different in terms of number of games we watch ISU play, it's still our vacation and we're looking for new places to visit and brews, etc. to try. We've already done the Boulevard Tour and have been to the zoo a few times. Two adults, and we're driving.
What would do you suggest?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
For the past several years, we've traveled to Kansas City for the MBB Big 12 tournament and considered it a short vacation. We stay the entire time and usually use the same "way up high" tickets we got through Iowa State. While this year will likely be different in terms of number of games we watch ISU play, it's still our vacation and we're looking for new places to visit and brews, etc. to try. We've already done the Boulevard Tour and have been to the zoo a few times. Two adults, and we're driving.
What would do you suggest?

Negro league museum.

Reactions: Mr Janny

jmkc12

Apr 27, 2017
1.) There's a relatively new International Tap House that has tons of beer, and the taco place right next to it called Mission Taco Joint is pretty good. You can order tacos and they'll bring them over to you at ITAP.

2.) A couple at my company are part owners of Stockyards Brewing in the West Bottoms. Really like several of their beers.

3.) Beer Kitchen in Westport and get the parmesan truffle fries.

4.) Ruins in the Crossroads is a bar where you pour your beer yourself and pay per oz. Usually have a lot of good options on tap.

Reactions: buchacho

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If you like history and museums, the National World War 1 museum is oddly in KC. I liked it, however my wife isn't into history like me and thought it was okay.

I believe a Yard House is in KC. It's a nicer restaurant chain with a large beer menu.

I'm not a museum guy, but I love the WWI museum. Good call.

• Agree
Reactions: Bluffers and NWICY

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'ver always wanted to check out the college basketball experience but figure this weekend is bad for that. Well until this year.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
1.) There's a relatively new International Tap House that has tons of beer, and the taco place right next to it called Mission Taco Joint is pretty good. You can order tacos and they'll bring them over to you at ITAP.

2.) A couple at my company are part owners of Stockyards Brewing in the West Bottoms. Really like several of their beers.

3.) Beer Kitchen in Westport and get the parmesan truffle fries.

4.) Ruins in the Crossroads is a bar where you pour your beer yourself and pay per oz. Usually have a lot of good options on tap.

Stockyards is great, and there is some sort of ISU connection with the owners as well (Im sure someone on here can clarify).

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
3rding the WW1 museum it is a great visit. The KC art museum is cool and free. I'm not to much into paintings but they have other neat stuff also.

The BBQ bus tour of KC is fun but kind of pricey.

I would go back to Boulevard because well it's good beer and an ok tour, new (couple of years ago) beer hall is pretty nice.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
Visited a friend there about a month ago.

We really enjoyed the whole experience at Q39 BBQ. Good food, good beer and spirits, good atmosphere. We made a reservation and were very glad that we did because the line went on forever.

I went for a run along the Brush Creek canal and spotted these cool sculptures across a giant grassy field. Took a detour to check it out...Turns out it was the Donald J. Hall Sclupture Park. . Worth a visit if the weather is good.

Reactions: urb1

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Check out the numerous BBQ joints around town. Joe's, Arthur Bryants, Gates, Jack Stack, etc. Love me KC BBQ.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Double Shift, Torn Label, Emperial and Border Brewing are all right next to each other in Crossroads. Lifted Spirits is there too.

Somebody said go to Yardhouse. Don't do that. Ever. In any city, ever.

The original Gates and Bryants are in the 18th and Vine district which isn't to far from Crossroads. This is also where the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is, and the home of the Kansas City Jazz scene, so lots of cool stuff there. WW1 Monument is just off of Crown Center which is close to crossroads and downtown.

Just don't go to Yardhouse. Ever.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
If you like history and museums, the National World War 1 museum is oddly in KC. I liked it, however my wife isn't into history like me and thought it was okay.

I'm not a museum guy, but I love the WWI museum. Good call.

3rding the WW1 museum it is a great visit.

The WW1 museum is fantastic. I've gone multiple times and would go again. Crossing the bridge across the field of poppies is a moving experience and that's just the entrance to the displays. The exterior is pretty cool too. Bonus if you have nice weather.

• Agree
Reactions: Bluffers and NWICY

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Double Shift, Torn Label, Emperial and Border Brewing are all right next to each other in Crossroads. Lifted Spirits is there too.

This and there is also a good pizza place right across the street from Border Brewing.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
The Money Museum at the Kansas City Federal Reserve is interesting. I think it was free when I went, and took a couple hours.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
BBQ, BBQ, BBQ see cydtracked's suggestions. Maybe Cabelas and KC Bier Company especially if you like German Beers.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
If you are around Union Station I highly recommend eating at Grunauer in the Crossroads District. Other than the BBQ joints (Joe's is and will always be the best), this is my favorite spot in Kansas City.

http://grunauerkc.com/

Friends with the owner. There are two of these, one in KC and the other in New York. Place is amazing, also next to Lydias which is also world class and whose Chef is nationally known. Walk able to Union Station, Crossroads and Crown Center and can take the train downtown or vice versa.

• Agree
Reactions: SC Cy and buchacho

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron