Waiting in line for OU/Kansas

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Any updates on the student line? Always impressed by the collegiate knuckleheads. Makes me wish I was young again.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Was in line at about 4:30 or so. Line moved slowly since then, I was about 900 in line. Got inside just before 6:00 near the top of the lower bowl.

Currently, all lower seating is pretty much claimed, and a vast portion of the upper seating. Only a couple full open rows left.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Was in line at about 4:30 or so. Line moved slowly since then, I was about 900 in line. Got inside just before 6:00 near the top of the lower bowl.

Currently, all lower seating is pretty much claimed, and a vast portion of the upper seating. Only a couple full open rows left.

BUT WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WITH TICKETS FOR THOSE UPPER DECK SEATS?!?!?!?

Yes, I'm just being alarmist. I'm anxious to get rolling to Hilton. Get those kids off my lawn.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
How are things looking for the KU line? I had heard from a friend that's still a student down there that a tent was set up for the KU game as soon as the OU game started. They'll be setting up later this afternoon, and I'd imagine others have done the same. Just curious how many are there.

From barely having to stand in line in 2011 to what tent city has become. Absolutely awesome.

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't understand the logistics. How do they determine who gets to be in the line and at what point? Does the tent have to be occupied 24/7? Can they just leave it during the game?

So many questions as to how this works. I think it's awesome, I just don't understand the finer details.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I don't understand the logistics. How do they determine who gets to be in the line and at what point? Does the tent have to be occupied 24/7? Can they just leave it during the game?

So many questions as to how this works. I think it's awesome, I just don't understand the finer details.

From my experience, there is absolutely no policing by university or Hilton staff. Shortly before the doors open for students, a couple of staffers will come down the steps to be sure the entrance is orderly. In situations like this where there are a number of tents, a staffer will come out X amount of hours before the doors open to inform all of those with tents to have them picked up and removed from the sidewalk within a certain time frame.

As a result, the line itself is completely policed by the students in it. There is always typically at least 1 person there to claim their tent or "territory", and depending on the size of the group a lot of people may be coming and going for multiple reasons. Unfortunately as you get closer to doors opening, budging tends to happen at an increasing pace. Mostly "bros" or girls. For example, this may have changed since my experiences, but there would often be a frat with a tent towards the front who would have a handful of guys staying overnight. By the time doors open, that group would grow to 15-20. Obviously very frustrating for someone who has been there for hours or days. That said, it's very difficult to control this without staffers because what can another student really do other than argue?

The system they use now though is without a doubt the way to go. Budging will happen no matter what system is used. The old way of every student gathering on the steps with a mad dash of every door opening at the same time always led to someone being their first getting stuck with a ticket scanner who doesn't know how to operate the device. Then the move to a zig-zag line at the bottom of the steps was an absolute disaster and lasted for a handful of games.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I don't really understand why they set up a tent during the OU game and watched it on tv rather than actually being there..Seems like an odd trade off to me.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Sounds like a couple of tents started on fire last night. Could be an issue going forward...

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Sounds like a couple of tents started on fire last night. Could be an issue going forward...

I just saw that...wouldn't be surprised if some policies are created.

Easy solution....no fire/electricity.....get the TRUE die hard fans that literally risk their lives and have to be part mountain man to survive the cold! :)

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Propane heaters in tents covered with tarps is never a good idea. Aside from the fire hazard, there's that little detail called asphyxiation.

Sad that this happened, glad no one was injured.

The camping can be done, but they need to be smarter about how they do it. A word to the wise - alcohol isn't recommended in extremely cold conditions. There might be a brief warm feeling, but it lowers the body's core temperature and increases the risk of hypothermia. Plus, it can lead to stupid decisions like propane heaters with little to no ventilation and mounds of flammable material around them.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Yeah I was not surprised when I saw the story this morning about the fire. When channel 13 did their story on tent city and you saw the space and propane heaters the first thought that went through my mind was in such tight quarters those were obvious fire hazzards. I have nothing against those willing to brave the cold but they need to use some more common sense than that. Where are these kids getting all the heaters and generators and such to run all of this too? The average college student probably doesn't have a few extra hundred bucks laying around just to go out and buy all that stuff, at least I know I sure as hell didn't when I was in college and if I did I would have found a better use for it than a propane heater or generator.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
Yeah I was not surprised when I saw the story this morning about the fire. When channel 13 did their story on tent city and you saw the space and propane heaters the first thought that went through my mind was in such tight quarters those were obvious fire hazzards. I have nothing against those willing to brave the cold but they need to use some more common sense than that. Where are these kids getting all the heaters and generators and such to run all of this too? The average college student probably doesn't have a few extra hundred bucks laying around just to go out and buy all that stuff, at least I know I sure as hell didn't when I was in college and if I did I would have found a better use for it than a propane heater or generator.

Parents, family members, friends, etc. A lot of farm kids waiting in line with plenty of access to that sort of stuff (myself and our group included).

My guess is that going forward after this KU game, heaters will be banned. This will highly discourage students from camping out, which is ultimately a relief to the department.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I just saw that...wouldn't be surprised if some policies are created.

Easy solution....no fire/electricity.....get the TRUE die hard fans that literally risk their lives and have to be part mountain man to survive the cold! :)

Or, in the very least, require fire extinguishers in every tent. The former is probably a better idea though.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So have they done anything this year to prevent or lessen people cutting in line?