Vocal Fry

Vocal fry (upward inflection, otherwise known as uptalk), is it a deal breaker?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CyGuy4Life

Jan 16, 2017

Vocal fry is the downward inflection at the end of a sentence, otherwise known as downtalk. It's generational. Psychologists claim Gen-exers and Millennials talk like this because they see it as a sign of empowerment. Other critics like Howard Stern find it annoying and called it "the dumbing down of America."

Last edited:

buchacho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Baltimore, MD
I hate to be that person, but vocal fry and uptalk are two different things. Uptalk is the upward inflection of the voice whereas vocal fry is drawing words with a low and kind of creaky voice. Neither are bad, but the policing of the way women speak is beyond frustrating especially since men are not held to the same policing standards when they do it too. /end rant

CyGuy4Life

Jan 16, 2017
I hate to be that person, but vocal fry and uptalk are two different things. Uptalk is the upward inflection of the voice whereas vocal fry is drawing words with a low and kind of creaky voice. Neither are bad, but the policing of the way women speak is beyond frustrating especially since men are not held to the same policing standards when they do it too. /end rant

Thank you for your feedback, as it is deeply appreciated, please make sure to vote if you have not.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Both are annoying as ****, and I would call a dude out on it if he was talking like a dbag.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Interesting thread. I have noticed this speech pattern in the past, but didn't know it had a name. Unfortunately, I think it does carry some stereotypes. It doesn't sound terribly professional. Speech is a funny thing, like that. Accents and affectations can carry a lot of weight. The southern accent is a good example. It's hard to separate it from the "hyuck, hyuck, hillbilly" stereotype that it carries, regardless of how intelligent the speaker might be.

• Informative
Reactions: CyGuy4Life

CyGuy4Life

Jan 16, 2017
Interesting thread. I have noticed this speech pattern in the past, but didn't know it had a name. Unfortunately, I think it does carry some stereotypes. It doesn't sound terribly professional. Speech is a funny thing, like that. Accents and affectations can carry a lot of weight. The southern accent is a good example. It's hard to separate it from the "hyuck, hyuck, hillbilly" stereotype that it carries, regardless of how intelligent the speaker might be.

Couldn't agree more. Thank you for your feedback.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I horribly associate the uptalk and vocal fry with someone who's disingenuine and bitchy, but only because the person I work with who has both, is both of those things.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt and bos

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'll have to take your word on that.

Yes, I own the whole "Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" run on DVD. All 4 Seasons!

Maynard G.Krebs is the beatnik layabout jazz loving friend of Dobie. Played by TV's Gilligan (Bob Denver) - prior to being a castaway. He inserted many a "like" into his dialog. Or the TV writers did...