Vick (KU) announces he is going pro

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Transfers are on the scout team. They went against the KU starters all year. How is this confusing?

My bad you went all Hawkeye on here the other day and they always said they had two NCAA teams on their roster due to so much depth. I thought you were saying this season's scout team was a Final 4 level team

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
No. Frank's teams peed down their leg. Weber's have, generally, met or exceeded expectations. But Barry Brown could leave. And Weber really needs to recruit a juco big.

True, Bruce is nothing if not a superb manager of expectations. Hopefully he didn’t outkick his coverage with the Elite 8 run.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
True, Bruce is nothing if not a superb manager of expectations. Hopefully he didn’t outkick his coverage with the Elite 8 run.
Nah, he just bought himself a few extra years off the hot seat. All in all it was a very good year for KSU last season. Although they never managed to beat any of the good teams in the Big 12, they were able to stay atop the rest of the pack and take advantage of some good breaks in the tourney.

Sometimes a team gets dinged by bad breaks out of their control so you gotta take advantage of the good breaks.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Michigan State fans told me the same thing about Josh Jackson and Kentucky fans told me the same thing about Andrew Wiggins.

If he was going to Indiana, why wait to announce? They have a scholarship open now and they have no players in competition for minutes waiting to announce their NBA intentions. Same with Vanderbilt. He's been waiting to see what Newman and Vick do.

If he wants to win big and get coached by a Hall of Famer then he'll be at Kansas next year. If he wants to be fawned over by the locals as a hero then he'll go to Indiana. If he wants to goof off with some friends then he'll be at Vanderbilt.
"If he wants to win big" = a 15th straight Big 12 title followed by getting bounced in the tourney. Many KU players get that experience.

Or he could help revive a once blue blood program (that happens to be in-state).

Or he could get a world class education at Vandy (no clue why else he would be looking there).

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
Do you think its a coincidence that Memphis lost the Lawson's (and another leading scorer) and got better the next year?

Odd.

That's a reach. Was Memphis really better this year? Kenpom had them at 161 this year and 101 the year before.

Are you going to apply that same logic to Shayok?

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
That's a reach. Was Memphis really better this year? Kenpom had them at 161 this year and 101 the year before.

Are you going to apply that same logic to Shayok?
Sure, hard to refute. Going from 23-11 to 31-3.

I just thought it was odd that Memphis lost the player of the year in their conference, and their other top two leading scorers, yet had a better season.

Addition by subtraction?

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
Nah, he just bought himself a few extra years off the hot seat. All in all it was a very good year for KSU last season. Although they never managed to beat any of the good teams in the Big 12, they were able to stay atop the rest of the pack and take advantage of some good breaks in the tourney.

Sometimes a team gets dinged by bad breaks out of their control so you gotta take advantage of the good breaks.

My point was that for the first time in a long time Bruce and KSU are going to have expectations. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

I certainly don't begrudge them for the relatively easy path they got. You can only play the teams in front of you.

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
Sure, hard to refute. Going from 23-11 to 31-3.

I just thought it was odd that Memphis lost the player of the year in their conference, and their other top two leading scorers, yet had a better season.

Addition by subtraction?

The Memphis admin was so impressed by this "improvement," that they fired the coach. You are killing it with this take.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Frank Martin at KSU: 68.7 win %, 1 Elite 8, 2 Sweet 16's, 1 round of 32 in 5 seasons.

Bruce Weber at KSU: 61.0% win %, 1 Elite 8, 2 round of 32, 1 first round exit in 6 seasons.

If you go win % mixed with post season results i'd say they're comparable.
Frank had some 'purchased' 4 and 5-star dudes. Weber did not. Weber won a league championship share. Frank won nothing other than a boot out of town.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Does Weber get a title without Martin's "purchased" players?

We'll see next year. I will say Frank couldn't win one with 'em. It took a basketball coach to do that after Beasley, Walker and Pullen had left. Of course, the whole damn team would have left if Frank had stayed.

Better for all that Martin headed to USC,e, where he's had a remarkable run of one tournament appearance in six years and but one assistant coach caught in the FBI sting.

Last edited:

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Langford definitely going to IU. KU is going to be hosting grad transfer Joe Cremo after he visits Nova. Imagine Nova will have the upper hand since he is from the northeast.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Langford definitely going to IU. KU is going to be hosting grad transfer Joe Cremo after he visits Nova. Imagine Nova will have the upper hand since he is from the northeast.

Interesting... Cremo would be a good fall back if Langford stays home. I always thought it was down to Vandy or IU (once they got Mack) for RL. That said I don't want to count Self out for late unexpected pickups. Wiggins, Jackson and the Lawson bros all appeared as relative long shots when they announced to KU.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

Help Support Us

Become a patron