Varner Loses

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Well Jake's style of wrestling came back to bite him in the behind. Pucillo ended up beating him in the second OT because of the tie breaker (riding time). He needs to get more offensive minded if he wants to win a national title. There are to many good wrestlers to just sit and wait for something to open up.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Virginia Tech has a wrestling program!? Were any of them at Nationals?
lol, not anymore.. they all went to Iowa. :no:

But back on topic... very disappointing. Jake looked like the better man throughout the match. Very tough loss.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Well Jake's style of wrestling came back to bite him in the behind. Pucillo ended up beating him in the second OT because of the tie breaker (riding time). He needs to get more offensive minded if he wants to win a national title. There are to many good wrestlers to just sit and wait for something to open up.

What did Pucillo do again? Oh, wait...

well. I wish we could get 5 virginia tech wrestlers too. That would be nice

And you just told me you listen to internet message board banter instead of following the sport. Thank you.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Everyone needs to let the VT thing go - it makes no sense - Brands would get these guys no matter where he is at because these guys want to wrestle for him not the school.
THANK YOU! That's why they went away from wrestling at Iowa (a couple of their's dream) to go to VT in the first place.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
And cyclone62, I was not saying that Pucillo didn't do anything. But Jake does not blow out hardly anyone. He wrestles very conservative. This can be good and bad and tonight it was bad. Jake did take some shots but they didn't land. All that I am trying to say is that, Jake may need to get a little more aggresive because the style that he wrestles is risky when you are wrestling a guy with good talent.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
And cyclone62, I was not saying that Pucillo didn't do anything. But Jake does not blow out hardly anyone. He wrestles very conservative. This can be good and bad and tonight it was bad. Jake did take some shots but they didn't land. All that I am trying to say is that, Jake may need to get a little more aggresive because the style that he wrestles is risky when you are wrestling a guy with good talent.

It's just his style. Nate Gallick did the exact same thing, always wrenched my heart to watch him wrestle.

Better luck next year. Iowa's going to lose Perry and Fields, we're going to lose Bertolino.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I agree, but it should be known that Cael tended to wrestle the same way. A student/athlete will almost always tend to follow that same path. Varner is doing just that. I agree that it's both good and bad, and to be honest, I would rather see wrestling that resembles Gable and Brands that is out-right domination on the mat.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
On the bright side, I think we saw a really bright spot at the end of the year in Gallick. He should be a top 5 wrestler beginning next year.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
I agree, but it should be known that Cael tended to wrestle the same way. A student/athlete will almost always tend to follow that same path. Varner is doing just that. I agree that it's both good and bad, and to be honest, I would rather see wrestling that resembles Gable and Brands that is out-right domination on the mat.
Not really on HR someone asked about Cael style and one of their poster came up with Cael match stats, Cael won a large percentage of his matches with bonus points. Wish I could recall exact number but I am too lazy to go find it.

tripod

Dec 28, 2007
varner did it to himself. thats what happens when you don't have any legit offense that you try. that being said, he got jobbed in the last overtime period when the ref called a stalemate when varner was about to get out. it will be a really tough weight next year with both of those guys back, the guy from northwestern coming back, and a whole bunch of other tough guys.

Help Support Us

Become a patron