Vaccine reactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Anyone had a Shingles vaccination? (yes, I'm old). I had no reaction to the Pfizer Covid vaccine. The Shingles vaccine caused influenza-like symptons for 2+ days. The morning of the 4th day I started to feel back to normal.

Very healthy 38 year old I know had bad case of shingles and it seemed like a nightmare, not just for "old" people.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The issue isn't simply blood clots, it's the type of clots and the demographic being effected. Blood clots aren't a 'one size fits all'. The statistics in this article lump everyone together. Covid19 and the vaccine side effects are different depending on age, sex etc... Vaccine risk for a 20 year old female is not the same as an 80 year old male.

That's not to say the vaccine isn't still better than the alternative, but that's what they are trying to figure out. It's possible they release it again, but don't allow females under 60 to get it, or something along those lines.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
Very healthy 38 year old I know had bad case of shingles and it seemed like a nightmare, not just for "old" people.
Yep ... that's why I'm more than willing to get vaccinated. Even a case of influenza increases the risk of cancer by by quite a bit. (Due to serious inflamation of various organs.) My second shingles vaccination has been delayed to like June now.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Anyone had a Shingles vaccination? (yes, I'm old). I had no reaction to the Pfizer Covid vaccine. The Shingles vaccine caused influenza-like symptons for 2+ days. The morning of the 4th day I started to feel back to normal.

I am 60 and keep putting the shingles shot off. My three brothers and sister who have gotten it all sick as dogs for several days. None of them reacted to Pfizer or Moderna though and they are all older than me so have gotten both doses.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Only time I've ever seen my dad miss work was when he was in his 40s and got shingles. He missed 3+ days.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The issue isn't simply blood clots, it's the type of clots and the demographic being effected. Blood clots aren't a 'one size fits all'. The statistics in this article lump everyone together. Covid19 and the vaccine side effects are different depending on age, sex etc... Vaccine risk for a 20 year old female is not the same as an 80 year old male.

That's not to say the vaccine isn't still better than the alternative, but that's what they are trying to figure out. It's possible they release it again, but don't allow females under 60 to get it, or something along those lines.

The study was specifically targeted at cerebral venous thrombosis.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Only time I've ever seen my dad miss work was when he was in his 40s and got shingles. He missed 3+ days.

My sister had shingles twice before getting shot. She still reacted worse to the vaccine for it than my brothers. The first time she had shingles was the worst though.

• Informative
Reactions: Neptune78

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
My sister had shingles twice before getting shot. She still reacted worse to the vaccine for it than my brothers. The first time she had shingles was the worst though.

My mom (and dad) both got shingles vaccines and didn't have any problem. My mom had a helluva time with Moderna #1, however. #2 yet to be determined.

Whatever that's worth! ;)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My mom (and dad) both got shingles vaccines and didn't have any problem. My mom had a helluva time with Moderna #1, however. #2 yet to be determined.

Whatever that's worth! ;)

Maybe that makes me a little braver. I keep thinking if the stress of this year hasn’t given me shingles, maybe I am good. One plus with going during Covid for a shot though is no dumb sitting in a waiting room with a bunch of sick people at the doctor’s office cause they have you wait in the car now. I always figured waiting around for an hour with a bunch of coughing people was their way of getting more business.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

I had a bout with shingles a few years ago at 25 that coincided with a stressful time at work.

I’d take a few days of feeling like **** after the shot than go through that again

Reactions: Neptune78

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Maybe that makes me a little braver. I keep thinking if the stress of this year hasn’t given me shingles, maybe I am good. One plus with going during Covid for a shot though is no dumb sitting in a waiting room with a bunch of sick people at the doctor’s office cause they have you wait in the car now. I always figured waiting around for an hour with a bunch of coughing people was their way of getting more business.
Completely agree on the doctor's office. I hated having a check-up during cold and flu season.

• Agree

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The study was specifically targeted at cerebral venous thrombosis.
Got it, thanks.

It's not clear from the article if they were able to differentiate between the different vaccines. The study looks like it did not include the J&J one. I guess I was trying to provide clarity as to why the J&J specifically would be suspended. This study seems to only indicate that vaccines taken as a whole are safer than covid when it comes to this specific clotting risk. Not necessarily the J&J or AstraZeneca. Unless I'm missing something.

"Though the analyses for the three vaccines are based on different data sets, making comparisons difficult, the study suggests that the risk of a clot among those with the disease is about eight to 10 times higher than after vaccination."

Also, the comparison made here seems to be the entire population averaged together. Not differentiated by age/sex. The issue with the J&J seems to be in 18-50 year old females. Is the same clotting risk higher from covid than the vaccine for that specific group? Maybe, but this article doesn't say that, unless I'm missing something.

"The relative benefits of the AstraZeneca shot, compared with the risk of clots, decrease when doses are given to younger adults, according to an analysis by the U.K.’s Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency."

This line seems significant as well. It didn't yet cover issues that showed up after the 2nd dose. It's also possible cases could pop up further out than 2 weeks from covid diagnosis.

"The authors of the Oxford study counted the number of cerebral venous thrombosis cases diagnosed in the two weeks after Covid diagnosis and after the first dose of a vaccine. "

“All the evidence we have is that risks of Covid are so much greater than whatever the risks of the vaccines might be,” Paul Harrison

That might be true, but this study didn't show that for the AstraZeneca & J&J vaccines. It looks like it is true for the Pfizer and Moderna versions. It also shouldn't be a "one-size fits all" statement when the article itself says that "The relative benefits of the AstraZeneca shot, compared with the risk of clots, decrease when doses are given to younger adults".

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Got it, thanks.

It's not clear from the article if they were able to differentiate between the different vaccines. The study looks like it did not include the J&J one. I guess I was trying to provide clarity as to why the J&J specifically would be suspended. This study seems to only indicate that vaccines taken as a whole are safer than covid when it comes to this specific clotting risk. Not necessarily the J&J or AstraZeneca. Unless I'm missing something.

"Though the analyses for the three vaccines are based on different data sets, making comparisons difficult, the study suggests that the risk of a clot among those with the disease is about eight to 10 times higher than after vaccination."

Also, the comparison made here seems to be the entire population averaged together. Not differentiated by age/sex. The issue with the J&J seems to be in 18-50 year old females. Is the same clotting risk higher from covid than the vaccine for that specific group? Maybe, but this article doesn't say that, unless I'm missing something.

"The relative benefits of the AstraZeneca shot, compared with the risk of clots, decrease when doses are given to younger adults, according to an analysis by the U.K.’s Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency."

This line seems significant as well. It didn't yet cover issues that showed up after the 2nd dose. It's also possible cases could pop up further out than 2 weeks from covid diagnosis.

"The authors of the Oxford study counted the number of cerebral venous thrombosis cases diagnosed in the two weeks after Covid diagnosis and after the first dose of a vaccine. "

“All the evidence we have is that risks of Covid are so much greater than whatever the risks of the vaccines might be,” Paul Harrison

That might be true, but this study didn't show that for the AstraZeneca & J&J vaccines. It looks like it is true for the Pfizer and Moderna versions. It also shouldn't be a "one-size fits all" statement when the article itself says that "The relative benefits of the AstraZeneca shot, compared with the risk of clots, decrease when doses are given to younger adults".

The breakdown comparison for reported cases of CVT in COVID-19 patients in comparison to CVT cases in those who received a COVID-19 vaccine is:
  • In this study of over 500,000 COVID-19 patients, CVT occurred in 39 in a million patients.
  • In over 480,000 people receiving a COVID-19 mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna), CVT occurred in 4 in a million.
  • CVT has been reported to occur in about 5 in a million people after first dose of the AZ-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine.
  • Compared to the mRNA vaccines, the risk of a CVT from COVID-19 is about 10 times greater.
  • Compared to the AZ-Oxford vaccine, the risk of a CVT from COVID-19 is about 8 times greater.
‘We’ve reached two important conclusions. Firstly, COVID-19 markedly increases the risk of CVT, adding to the list of blood clotting problems this infection causes. Secondly, the COVID-19 risk is higher than we see with the current vaccines, even for those under 30; something that should be taken into account when considering the balances between risks and benefits for vaccination.’

Reactions: isutrevman

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

The breakdown comparison for reported cases of CVT in COVID-19 patients in comparison to CVT cases in those who received a COVID-19 vaccine is:
  • In this study of over 500,000 COVID-19 patients, CVT occurred in 39 in a million patients.
  • In over 480,000 people receiving a COVID-19 mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna), CVT occurred in 4 in a million.
  • CVT has been reported to occur in about 5 in a million people after first dose of the AZ-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine.
  • Compared to the mRNA vaccines, the risk of a CVT from COVID-19 is about 10 times greater.
  • Compared to the AZ-Oxford vaccine, the risk of a CVT from COVID-19 is about 8 times greater.
‘We’ve reached two important conclusions. Firstly, COVID-19 markedly increases the risk of CVT, adding to the list of blood clotting problems this infection causes. Secondly, the COVID-19 risk is higher than we see with the current vaccines, even for those under 30; something that should be taken into account when considering the balances between risks and benefits for vaccination.’

Hmmm, wonder if they have the data on if the patients had C19 (asymptomatic or not) before the vaccine? Just speculating maybe that is a correlation.

Reactions: Aclone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
As some have previsouly speculated:

Pfizer’s chief executive said that people everywhere are likely to need a third dose of covid-19 vaccine within 12 months, with annual boosters for the foreseeable future to keep abreast of viral variants. His remarks, made on April 1st, were disclosed yesterday. The White House said that America is already preparing for the need to administer booster shots.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
About 20 hours after my 2nd Pfizer shot right now and feel just fine. Arm is even a little less sore than it was after the 1st shot

About the same after my 2nd Moderna shot. Its not too bad, some chills/body ache and fatigue. I read someone on twitter describe their head as feeling like they are "floating around" and that is better than any description I can make.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
24 Hours since my second Moderna. I feel fine. I woke up with a real thumper of a headache, but don't know if that was the shot or me just sleeping in a weird positions (happens often). A few Tylenol and two cups of coffee has lessened the headache. My wife got hers too and can hardly move her arm. Other than she feels just fine.

Reactions: Acylum

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
16 hours after my second Pfizer shot, I've got a sore arm, fatigue, and body aches. But no chills/fever or severe headache. I did hydrate really well and took Tylenol when I got home yesterday.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron