USMNT - World Cup qualifying - The Hexagonal

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
A tweet from Grant Wahl the other day says that according to a source, USSF is aiming for the following cities for their remaining home qualifiers.

June 11 v Panama - Seattle
June 18 v Honduras - Salt Lake City
Sept 10 v Mexico - Columbus
Oct 11 v Jamaica - KC

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
A tweet from Grant Wahl the other day says that according to a source, USSF is aiming for the following cities for their remaining home qualifiers.

Oct 11 v Jamaica - KC

I wish I was still going to be here in Columbus for the Sept 10 date with Mexico. I went to the WCQ against Jamaica last year and it was an amazing environment. Stupid graduation taking me out of a great soccer city...

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The U20s beat Canada today 4-2 in the quarterfinals which advances them to the semis. More importantly, the win qualifies them for the U20 World Cup. It's nice to see the U20s taking care of business since some of the other youth squads have screwed the pooch lately when it comes to qualifying for major international tournaments.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I have no idea if anybody is paying attention to the U20s, but just in case they play their semi-final match against Cuba tonight at 5 pm central on Fox Soccer.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Thanks, Might tune in for that. What players are fun to watch on the team?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I had a busy night last night & didn't see this until now. I'm not all that familiar with the squad other than what I've seen in this tournament. Daniel Cuevas has probably impressed me the most overall. He's short, but he's got thighs like tree trunks and is a threat with his pace & willingness to take guys on.

The US won 2-0 last night which sets up a championship match against Mexico tomorrow night (Sunday on Fox Soccer). The US keeps releasing players back to their clubs as the tournament goes on since they've already qualified for the U20 World Cup. I believe 3 players had left before the Cuba match & Cody Cropper (their #1 keeper) is leaving to go back to Southampton so won't be available against Mexico. It would be nice to see the young guys take Mexico down in Puebla. Mexico's youth program is on such a roll. Throwing even the tiniest wrench into that juggernaut would be fun as a US fan.

Here's a brief, but solid summary of the U20s in the tournament. And it looks like Cropper will be staying for the final since the team is so thin right now.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...b-ramos-says-final-berth-monumental-us-soccer

Last edited:

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I had a busy night last night & didn't see this until now. I'm not all that familiar with the squad other than what I've seen in this tournament. Daniel Cuevas has probably impressed me the most overall. He's short, but he's got thighs like tree trunks and is a threat with his pace & willingness to take guys on.

The US won 2-0 last night which sets up a championship match against Mexico tomorrow night (Sunday on Fox Soccer). The US keeps releasing players back to their clubs as the tournament goes on since they've already qualified for the U20 World Cup. I believe 3 players had left before the Cuba match & Cody Cropper (their #1 keeper) is leaving to go back to Southampton so won't be available against Mexico. It would be nice to see the young guys take Mexico down in Puebla. Mexico's youth program is on such a roll. Throwing even the tiniest wrench into that juggernaut would be fun as a US fan.

Here's a brief, but solid summary of the U20s in the tournament. And it looks like Cropper will be staying for the final since the team is so thin right now.

U-20s: Tab Ramos says final berth is "monumental" for US Soccer | MLSsoccer.com

Watched the majority of the second have, it was fairly uneventful. I think the US lifted there foot off the gas due to the shortage of players. It will be difficult final for the US so short handed and on Mexico Soil, but it will be good experience for the players. Good for them to have to face some adversity, something young US players aren't subjected to enough in my opinion.

Cuevas did seem to have something everyone else didn't have last night. It was interesting seeing a US team with so much Latin infused in it. Hopefully we can continue to cultivate that talent and keep in in the US. Certainly will help the senior team in years to come if we can.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The first half of this U20 Championship has been fun to watch. Both teams are attacking & it's been wide open. Some mistakes have been made, but its been good viewing.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Tim Howard is out for at least a month with broken bones in his back. Let's hope Guzan can fill in without a hiccup. At least he's had lots of practice stopping shots playing behind Villa's sieve of a defense.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Tim Howard is out for at least a month with broken bones in his back. Let's hope Guzan can fill in without a hiccup. At least he's had lots of practice stopping shots playing behind Villa's sieve of a defense.

Wow. Two huge games in a couple weeks. Good thing Guzan has been getting some good experience this year.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Brad Friedel issued a vote of confidence for Guzan and also offered his services to the national team if something were to happen to Brad the Younger. Interesting.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

Oct 11 v Jamaica - KC

I will be at KC. Went there last year and it was one of the coolest experiences of my life. I was right down on the sideline last time, hoping for the same this time around.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Brad Friedel issued a vote of confidence for Guzan and also offered his services to the national team if something were to happen to Brad the Younger. Interesting.

Shag - why is it interesting to you? Brad Freidel would've never retired from the National Team if it wasn't for that whinny ***** Kasey Keller! Everyone knew Freidel should've been between the sticks for the US in 2006 WC after his performance in 2002. Well everyone but Keller, and that is why he chose not to be on that squad.

The Freidel Keller tiff was probably equal to or more devastating than John Harkes sleeping with Wynalda's wife before 98 WC.

Last edited:

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Shag - why is it interesting to you? Brad Freidel would've never retired from the National Team if it wasn't for that whinny ***** Kasey Keller! Everyone knew Freidel should've been between the sticks for the US in 2006 WC after his performance in 2002. Well everyone but Keller, and that is why he chose not to be on that squad.

The Freidel Keller tiff was probably equal to or more devastating than John Harkes sleeping with Wynalda's wife before 98 WC.

Yeah really. Friedal not playing for U.S. soccer was one of the worst setbacks to happen to the National Team. These threads debating the USMNT always amuse me. The U.S. Team will never get deep into the World Cup (semis) because they don't have enough players who can play at the highest level. We consistently have maybe 2-3 players but that's it. The elite teams in the world have a whole field of them. It sucks, but the reality is we will always be a mediocre team in the world until we can have at least half of the starters be elite league players.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006

Trust me, I don't have anything against Friedel. I think he's still a top notch keeper who could help the USMNT if JK were to ask him. I thought it was interesting simply because I never really thought he was still interested in playing for the Stars and Stripes. I would have no problem with Friedel in goal if Klinsmann wanted to go that direction. I think Guzan will be just fine though as well.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Two more matches coming up this week. Friday night against Costa Rica in CO and then Tuesday night against Mexico in Smog City. Both matches will be on ESPN. Here's the roster (you might want to sit down before reading it):

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa - 5/3 SO), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire – 0/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake – 0/0)

DEFENDERS (6)
: Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake – 0/0), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City – 0/0), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City – 6/0), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy – 1/0), Clarence Goodson (Brondby – 5/0), Justin Morrow (San Jose Earthquakes – 0/0)

MIDFIELDERS (9)
: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla – 26/6), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake – 2/0), Michael Bradley (Roma – 20/5), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana – 1/0), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor – 10/0), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04 – 6/0), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht – 13/0), Brek Shea (Stoke City – 2/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City – 4/0)

FORWARDS (5
): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar – 18/6), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna – 2/0), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur – 27/11), Herculez Gomez (Santos – 6/2), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC – 12/10)

That defense is terrifying. Injuries were obviously a concern coming into the week, but it was much worse than originally feared. Edgar Castillo, Timmy Chandler, Steve Cherundolo, Tim Howard, Fabian Johnson, Jonathan Spector, Jose Torres, and Danny Williams are all unavailable due to injury concerns. One tiny bright spot IMO is the inclusion of Corona & Shea.