Used Cars - Chevy Cruze

labontefan31

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Monticello, IA
I bought a brand new 2012 Cruze 2LT RS Manual 8 years ago and still daily drive it today! I have put 145k miles on it and still enjoy driving it. I want to upgrade to something faster/newer but the car literally has no trade in value (Carvana cash offer is $100) so I'll just keep driving it, it still runs perfect.

Yes it has had most issues discussed above but there is a youtube DIY on every one. The parts to fix the issues are very cheap. I have never got less than 30 mpg on a tank and can sometimes get above 40 mpg in the summer.

Insurance runs about $400-500 per year and Iowa annual registration costs about $175 for an 8-10 year old model

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Can't speak to the Chevy Cruze but as a dad who recently has gone through the whole buying a used car for my kid thing, Godspeed to you. It's been pure anxiety for me and I'll never buy a high-mileage (100k) used car again. Good luck.
I've done this before. Feels like a crapshoot each time! I've got a a good mechanic to give any choice the once-over.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I had a 2014 (last year with the 5 year, 100k warranty). thank god because a bunch of stuff took a **** around 65k. turbo went out whatnot.

it was totalled by a drunk driving 80 year old parked in front of my house

idk if i'd do it again.

So it was a mercy kill?

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I've had nothing but bad luck with almost every GM product I've owned, so I personally would stay away and go for a Toyota or Honda for a kid. There's a guy at my work who does like his Cruze, but I can't say what year it is as he's currently working from home. Most people do seem to like them.

Only GM car I had and liked and had no problems with was a '94 Le Sabre. That 3800 engine was a dream and although it was a grandpa car it was bullet proof. Unfortunately it wasn't uninsured, unlicensed, terrible driver proof and I got hit by a moron. Double unfortunately for me they were disabled and didn't have a job, so my car was totaled and I got nothing (I only had liability as a college student with limited income myself :mad: )

I've had better luck with Fords, and even better luck yet with my Honda.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Went from domestic Ford & Chevy products for my wife & kids to Toyota & Nissan. Sorry to admit that the Japanese models are trouble free, well made & good mileage. I was always turning a wrench on something with the American made.

Help Support Us

Become a patron