Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Until 2 more teams run, then their aren’t really any other teams out there.
There aren’t any other teams out there right now. Any add is just going to lower their payouts unless they go unequal revenue distribution. Also the other teams don’t have a home to run to unless it’s to the Big12 and I have to believe that if that happens we will find out in the next 6 months.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There aren’t any other teams out there right now. Any add is just going to lower their payouts unless they go unequal revenue distribution. Also the other teams don’t have a home to run to unless it’s to the Big12 and I have to believe that if that happens we will find out in the next 6 months.
Agree. That’s what I meant when you said they could stay at 10. If they do, they are basically just in survival mode and hoping something crazy happens. Or the lower teams figure it’s more than their other options.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Totally agree, for the B10 outside of ND, no team is going to bring the $100 million or more in new revenue. That market is basically tapped out. So, they have to continue to grow the pie from the networks, or so start giving less to the schools under the deal as they add new teams to the league down the road.
Of course, some are going to say, "lets pay them at a lower rate forever, to maintain what we are making." but doing that is just pushing the problem down the road, much like the B12 did when they had uneven media rights.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So for at least $100 million, and giving up the one thing they treasure the most, independence in football, they can join the B10.

Why do I think they will be passing on the opportunity, until forced to do so. When that happens, they will drive a hard bargain for the Big 10. Unlike most schools, money is not a problem for ND.
Yeah I never said I thought ND would join the B1G any time soon. I said if they decided they wanted to, their arrangement with the ACC wouldn't stop them. At some point their hand may be forced and at that time, it'll be between the B1G and SEC and at that point the B1G will have plenty of leverage because there's no way ND would ever want to join the SEC. ND would need the B1G, the B1G wouldn't need ND.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Yeah I never said I thought ND would join the B1G any time soon. I said if they decided they wanted to, their arrangement with the ACC wouldn't stop them. At some point their hand may be forced and at that time, it'll be between the B1G and SEC and at that point the B1G will have plenty of leverage because there's no way ND would ever want to join the SEC. ND would need the B1G, the B1G wouldn't need ND.
As long as ND has a way to get into the playoff, and can continue to make decent money, they will not join a conference. But it's silly to say that the B10 has any leverage over ND. They are ND, and are above being forced to move, they will decide what is best for them, not the B10, ACC nor the SEC. Dollars influence USC and UCLA, but that will not work with ND. They are in the driver's seat and they know it, if they told the B10 they wanted in ASAP, full partner, no buy in, the league would come crawling to make the deal.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
As long as ND has a way to get into the playoff, and can continue to make decent money, they will not join a conference. But it's silly to say that the B10 has any leverage over ND. They are ND, and are above being forced to move, they will decide what is best for them, not the B10, ACC nor the SEC. Dollars influence USC and UCLA, but that will not work with ND. They are in the driver's seat and they know it, if they told the B10 they wanted in ASAP, full partner, no buy in, the league would come crawling to make the deal.
Agree, for the time being ND will continue living its best independent life. Also agree B1G doesn't have leverage over ND for the time being. Nor does ND have leverage over the B1G. Right now, ND doesn't need the B1G, the B1G doesn't need ND. Full members of the B1G will get by making $25-$30 mill more per year than ND. Hard to tell what happens down the road. If this thing turns into a P2 down the road, then the B1G and SEC will be the ones calling the shots. That's where things could get sporty.

• Haha
Reactions: WhoISthis

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I think Notre Dame stays independent and B1G stops expansion for this round.

Then I could see Arizona + Colorado joining the Big 12. That would in-turn get Oregon + Washington to submit invites and we would stop at 16.

It's hard for me to believe that the Pac-12 has any kind of long-term future, so I can't reason why the Mountain schools would sit around wait for something to happen rather than be proactive.

Then the Big 12 signs a TV contract with ESPN, FOX, etc. (kind of like a mini-B1G one).

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I know the pac is desperate but I don’t think they would ever add SMU. Brings the value down and is a religious school
Rice?

If they want Texas and major academics... but what a geographic outlier. Theres just nothing good for a 12th team.

Id bet they stay at 10. Total replay of big12 a few years back.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008

Then I could see Arizona + Colorado joining the Big 12. That would in-turn get Oregon + Washington to submit invites and we would stop at 16.

It's hard for me to believe that the Pac-12 has any kind of long-term future, so I can't reason why the Mountain schools would sit around wait for something to happen rather than be proactive.

Then the Big 12 signs a TV contract with ESPN, FOX, etc. (kind of like a mini-B1G one).
In this hypothetical, maybe the pods look like this?

west pod
byu
colorado
oregon
washington

central pod
iowa state
kansas
kansas state
oklahoma state

south pod
arizona
baylor
tcu
texas tech

east pod
cinci
houston
ucf
wvu

Reactions: StPaulCyclone

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
ESPN owns all SEC and ACC rights. In a normal week you will have 7 SEC games and 6 ACC (accounting for byes). That's 13 games.

ABC, ESPN, 2, U, SECN, and ACCN have 18 windows. And they also have American, Sun Belt, etc. games to show.

But they probably wanna put at least some SEC and ACC content on ESPN+ as well.

So it seems to me like ESPN has room for one more power conference, but maybe not two, unless at least one of the Pac-12 or Big 12 was happy with a large chunk of content going on ESPN+.

It seems more likely to me that ESPN gets the Pac-12 and suddenly its number of windows goes up by adding After Dark content. Then FOX signs up the Big 12 and puts 3 games a week on FOX/FS1 with the remaining games going elsewhere (Amazon? Maybe one on CBS? Maybe a small slice to ESPN, including ESPN+?).
Yes to most of what you said, I will add this...ESPN might want Big12 Basketball, it no longer has B1G basketball, that's a lot of programing to fill. Big12 BB is high quality content, SEC and Pac not so much.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Here's the crazy buck wild Pac 14 expansion plan that will never happen, but what the heck were closing in on 9000 post on this thread.

Pac add SDSU and one other full time school...no one makes immediate sense, moving on.
Pac FB only additions Fresno St and Boise St
Pac BB only additions Zags and St. Mary's College (not even a university, ha! but they're pretty good in BB)

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Northwestern is in Evanston, which is a very nice close suburb of Chicago. Probably a lot of really nice Victorian mansions to choose from.
Think he gets a decent place on Sheridan Road, close to the lake.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I still hate Notre Dame.

That's all for today's update.

Edit: This just in - The B12 will not add any teams for at least 419 hours. More as details become available.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
If they want Texas and major academics... but what a geographic outlier. Theres just nothing good for a 12th team.

Id bet they stay at 10. Total replay of big12 a few years back.

Different era. The PAC is needing a TV contract/GOR, and Fox isn’t bidding. 6 schools in the PAC make more leaving for Big 18 with multiple bidders

Plus they had less room to fall than the OG Big 12

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Agree, for the time being ND will continue living its best independent life. Also agree B1G doesn't have leverage over ND for the time being. Nor does ND have leverage over the B1G. Right now, ND doesn't need the B1G, the B1G doesn't need ND. Full members of the B1G will get by making $25-$30 mill more per year than ND. Hard to tell what happens down the road. If this thing turns into a P2 down the road, then the B1G and SEC will be the ones calling the shots. That's where things could get sporty.
I will agree that neither the B10 nor ND needs each other now, but to think that ND does not have leverage over any conference they chose is silly. They are ND, its as simple as that, they do what they want, when they want. As long as they have a way into the playoff, they will stay independent, until that changes, nothing will happen. They are not USC, UCLA or other schools that need the money, they are flush with it from their alumni and boosters. They are unique in college football, and that is why the B10 wants and hates them all at the same time. They are the one school that cannot be bought.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Got to love those unnamed sources, have no idea how credible that is. They still have a contract for 5 games. You cant just walk away from that.

That's been reported a bunch of times. They can walk away in football.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I just can't see taking Colorado over Utah.