UPDATED "Where Are They Now" on former ISU QB standout Bret Meyer

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Appreciate the update. I don't know if I would have remembered he played under the Chiz. I believe the timeline, but that jumped out at me.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Hoping to get Bret down to play golf this year. Looking forward to the stories him and Blythe will share. Couple of my favorite Cyclones for sure.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Great family! His mom is a PA for the doctor I see and I always ask her how he is doing. I even rode shotgun a few times with his dad when he drove a semi.

James Tucker

Sep 9, 2019
Thanks to Bret for talking to me for an update! It's tacked onto the end of the original story. https://cyclonefanatic.com/2017/09/where-are-they-now-bret-meyer/
Great article and thanks for bringing back memories of the Blythe/Meyer combo including that A&M game. As a broadcaster, Bret was one of the best athletes I had the chance to witness. At Atlantic, you could just tell he was a D1 athlete by how he could float the ball over the linebackers or go deep beyond the safeties. He was a good basketball player even though Austin Maring of Glenwood put 35 on them his senior year :)

Reactions: t-noah

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
How many 309 yard games does Brock have? 5 can’t be the record still.

My kids and I took bikes to Lawrence to watch our Clones fall in OT to KU. That was brutal, typical.

Go State. ❤️

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
My daughter has a little different memory of Bret Meyer. She only watched him play one football game. She remembers him as simply a great human that cares about others. One snowy January morning she was going between classes in one of the golf cart type things handicapped students use around campus. She was forced off the sidewalk and was sitting there crying as the wheels only spun in the snow. She was going to be late for a test she could not afford to miss. Bret saw her plight as he passed and enlisted another player to help him out. The two of them picked up the cart with my daughter still in the seat and put it back on the sidewalk. It was the start of a friendship that continued until they both graduated.

Reactions: t-noah and Rural

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Thx again Rob, another great detailed article! Brought back some good memories , and a few “what if’s” also.

Help Support Us

Become a patron