UNI cancels spring break due to COVID-19

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I know some colleges just planned to go straight through and get out in November, which makes a lot of sense to me. Sending them all elsewhere is a recipe for disaster.

• Winner
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Seems kind of premature to do this already? But whatever.

I guess they felt like they needed to do this early because so many setup travel plans early. Plane tickets are tough to recoup costs on. And really, there isn't a huge negative impact on the loss of spring break.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I would be just fine with Kirkwood doing that too...one week closer to graduation for my wife then!

I guess they felt like they needed to do this early because so many setup travel plans early. Plane tickets are tough to recoup costs on. And really, there isn't a huge negative impact on the loss of spring break.

All major US airlines recently got rid of change fees so it is easier now than it used to be.

Reactions: Entropy

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Seems kind of premature to do this already? But whatever.
I think it’s mostly a logistical issue. People planning ahead for trips. Objectively spring break itself isn’t really that big of a deal either. Your really just moving up the end of the year.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Lol, dumb. They have no idea what will be happening in 2021. We do have a meteor coming the day before the election. Let's just get through 2020 first.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: arobb and madguy30

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Makes sense, have to announce early enough that people aren't pissed they already made plans, bought tickets, etc. If you gambled that things would be better next March and they weren't it'd suck a lot to tell people in January or February that spring break was cancelled.

Reactions: ClonesTwenty1

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
ISU, too. Here's a portion of the email Wendy just sent out.:
Dear Iowa State Community,
In order to assist all faculty, staff, and students with planning for the current academic year, we want to provide the timeline for the spring semester and information about an optional online winter term, which will feature a targeted selection of courses.

Spring semester starts Monday, January 25. We received approval from the Board of Regents to change our start date for the spring semester. Spring classes will start January 25, two weeks later than planned. There will be no spring break; classes will be held the week of March 15-19.

Spring semester ends Thursday, May 6. The spring semester, including final exams, will end as originally scheduled on May 6.

Course delivery. Like the fall, spring courses will be offered in four delivery modes: face-to-face, online, hybrid, and arranged. Classrooms and lecture halls will continue to have limited capacity. Our objective is to provide in-person learning, particularly for experiential courses, labs, and studios, while also providing flexibility for students and instructors who are more comfortable with virtual classes.

Online winter term option. We are planning for an optional five-week online winter term, featuring a targeted selection of courses, beginning December 14, and ending January 21. The addition of winter classes will offer students a way to work ahead in meeting their graduation requirements. Additional information about the online winter term, including class schedules, will be made available in the coming weeks.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Makes sense, have to announce early enough that people aren't pissed they already made plans, bought tickets, etc. If you gambled that things would be better next March and they weren't it'd suck a lot to tell people in January or February that spring break was cancelled.
Yeah, this seems pretty straightforward. Starting the semester later than normal and cutting spring break. Don't take any chances with kids leaving town for a week of partying. This is a prudent move all around.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Less dumb when you are rearranging the whole semester. Compressing the semester makes some sense, But that really sucks for students.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3TrueFans