Under the radar connections to Iowa

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I did a google search and this interesting factoid appeared about Randi Oakes:

"Once rode on the back of a Kawasaki KZ 1000 police motorcycle, with the sirens blaring, while naked with Erik Estrada and Larry Wilcox (CHIPS co-stars), at nighttime."

Were Estrada and Wilcox nekkid too?

Because that seems like one heck of a party.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Mike Berlin was a very successful professional bowler from Muscatine. I remember when at ISU in the late 70s I had the TV on and the announcer says, "Muscatine Iowa" and my ears perked up. He ended up winning that particular televised event. This was back in the days of 3 channels so seemed like a big deal.

I think he also coached Muscatine HS bowling as I seem to remember an inlaw's relative was on a record setting (State of Iowa) team score event and I noticed his name as the coach. This was about 10 years ago or so, I think.
Was he the inspiration for Roy Munson?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Amelia Earhart grew up in Des Moines for a portion of her childhood. Saw her first airplane at the Iowa State Fair. One of the homes she lived in was on the corner of University and 42nd street where the Little Caesars is currently located.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/publications/TB/1037670.pdf
I remember reading a book about her in grade school. I don't know if a true story but supposedly after viewing the plane, she went home and rigged up a cart to roll off her garage roof to simulate flying. At least according to this 6th grade story book.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Fran Allison hosted a TV show called "Kukla, Fran and Ollie" with puppets during the late 40's to late 50's and was born in La Porte City (wherever that is). She was nominated for an Emmy Award, has a star on Hollywood's walk-of-fame and had her image on a commemorative postage stamp. I remember meeting her when I was little when she was the grand marshal of the Frontier Days parade in Fort Dodge.

LaPorte City is just a little ways outside of Waterloo.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

MJOFLY

Sep 23, 2010
Mike Boddicker pitched for the Orioles for a while in the 80's. probably from Norway Iowa definitely the C.R. area.
I batted against Boddicker in Little League. Well, maybe I should say I saw three pitches. He pitched the first inning, threw nine pitches/strikes. They brought another pitcher in the second inning.

Reactions: GMackey32 and NWICY

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
One for contestants on the new season of BBQ Showdown on Netflix is from Oelwein, Iowa, which I had never heard of, northeast of Waterloo.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron