Under the radar connections to Iowa

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Marilyn, the "normal" one.

Beverley Owen, the first Marilyn, was born in Ottumwa but grew up in Ames.

440px-Beverley_Owen_1964.JPG
She must'a been somethin' before electricity

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Randi Oakes was born in Sumner, Iowa, and grew up in tiny Randalia, Iowa.

Oakes is famous for her role as one of Charlie's Angels and dating Joe Namath. My parent's business in West Union did work for her family.

-----

And I was often told of these two from my hometown area:

Mark Pinter (born March 7, 1950) is an American actor best known for his numerous roles in daytime soap operas from Decorah.

Ellen Dolan As The World Turns actress was born in Monticello, Iowa, and was raised in Decorah, also.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Oakes is famous for her role as one of Charlie's Angels and dating Joe Namath. My parent's business in West Union did work for her family.

-----

Mark Pinter (born March 7, 1950) is an American actor best known for his numerous roles in daytime soap operas from Decorah.

Ellen Dolan As The World Turns actress was born in Monticello, Iowa, and was raised in Decorah, also.

Can't leave out CHiPs!

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Red Faber (baseball HoF) is from Cascade. They put up a sign at the edge of town when I was in hs, and no one had any idea who he was. Still a bunch of Fabers in Cascade.

He was on the Black Sox teams, but wasn't involved in any of the gambling.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Fran Allison hosted a TV show called "Kukla, Fran and Ollie" with puppets during the late 40's to late 50's and was born in La Porte City (wherever that is). She was nominated for an Emmy Award, has a star on Hollywood's walk-of-fame and had her image on a commemorative postage stamp. I remember meeting her when I was little when she was the grand marshal of the Frontier Days parade in Fort Dodge.

Reactions: Acylum

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

-----

As far as I know, she was never an Angel. The original 3 were Farrah Fawcett, Kate Jackson, and Jaclyn Smith. Jaclyn Smith was the only one who lasted through all the seasons. Cheryl Ladd replaced Farrah, Shelley Hack replaced Kate, and Tanya Roberts replaced Shelley.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Fran Allison hosted a TV show called "Kukla, Fran and Ollie" with puppets during the late 40's to late 50's and was born in La Porte City (wherever that is). She was nominated for an Emmy Award, has a star on Hollywood's walk-of-fame and had her image on a commemorative postage stamp. I remember meeting her when I was little when she was the grand marshal of the Frontier Days parade in Fort Dodge.
La Porte City is about halfway between Waterloo and Vinton. I once was taking a route through there in a thick fog one morning and got so turned around that the only way I knew which way to go was the road signs. And this wasn't a new route to me. I had been that way hundreds of times and driven it scores of times. Without the directions on the signs (N/S/E/W) I probably would have ended up in St. Louis.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

I did a google search and this interesting factoid appeared about Randi Oakes:

"Once rode on the back of a Kawasaki KZ 1000 police motorcycle, with the sirens blaring, while naked with Erik Estrada and Larry Wilcox (CHIPS co-stars), at nighttime."

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Scary. I have vague memories of seeing that show on TV, so I looked it up and it ran from 51 to 56. I was one when it ended. Turns out there was a short-lived revival in 69-70. That must be what I remembered. Kukla was kind of hard to forget...some weird dragon thing with one snaggletooth.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
Scary. I have vague memories of seeing that show on TV, so I looked it up and it ran from 51 to 56. I was one when it ended. Turns out there was a short-lived revival in 69-70. That must be what I remembered. Kukla was kind of hard to forget...some weird dragon thing with one snaggletooth.
They were on this show where the introduced foreign movies, that's what I remember them from.

Reactions: h-man64

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Somehow I knew of the show. I'm not sure if it was from my mom and grandma or if it was maybe from watching Happy Days. Probably a little of both.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It must have had a revival later too, because I remember it and was born in 72. I thought it was a local show in Des Moines, like Floppy. I think that's where I saw it, at my gmas.

Of course, I could be mistaken and conflating the two shows as my memory decays. Anybody remember seeing KFO on TV in the late 70s?

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Check out Bob Feller. Hard to be under the radar as one of the best pitchers in MLB history, but I believe he is one. Born in Van Meter. Incredible career that I'm not sure many realize.
Was just watching the beginning of Moneyball and in the scene when Billy is taking Peter out of the Indians offices so they can talk privately in the parking garage Billy walks past a giant picture of Bob Feller on the wall. It is so big you can't see Feller above the waist, but you can see his autograph and '62, the year he entered the Hall.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It must have had a revival later too, because I remember it and was born in 72. I thought it was a local show in Des Moines, like Floppy. I think that's where I saw it, at my gmas.

Of course, I could be mistaken and conflating the two shows as my memory decays. Anybody remember seeing KFO on TV in the late 70s?
Yes. But I was in NE Iowa, not the Des Moines market. Was probably a re-run.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

Are you sure you're not thinking of Shari Lewis and her puppet Lamb Chop? She was the first female ventriloquist I saw and thought that was pretty cool.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Mike Berlin was a very successful professional bowler from Muscatine. I remember when at ISU in the late 70s I had the TV on and the announcer says, "Muscatine Iowa" and my ears perked up. He ended up winning that particular televised event. This was back in the days of 3 channels so seemed like a big deal.

I think he also coached Muscatine HS bowling as I seem to remember an inlaw's relative was on a record setting (State of Iowa) team score event and I noticed his name as the coach. This was about 10 years ago or so, I think.

Reactions: NWICY