Under the radar connections to Iowa

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Robert Noyce, co-invented the IC (integrated circuit) and co-founded Intel. He is from Burlington and alumni of Grinnell College. I remember reading a story of how he stole a live pig while there for a fraternity luau.

Reactions: Clone83

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Charles Perkins Strite, from Springville, Iowa (near Cedar Rapids), invented the pop-up toaster in 1920

Otto Rohwedder, from Davenport, invented sliced bread.

Otto Frederick Rohwedder of Davenport, Iowa, United States, invented the first single loaf bread-slicing machine. A prototype he built in 1912 was destroyed in a fire,[4] and it was not until 1928 that Rohwedder had a fully working machine ready.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Nick Nolte lived in one of the Victorian houses in the Old Town part of Ames. He was in town a few years ago and called the owners (our friends) to ask if they would mind showing him around the house. They spent about an hour with him.
He also lived in Waterloo as a child

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
Andre the giant took a **** in Iowa once
I was having a beer one Saturday afternoon in a bar in Ottumwa. In walks Andre. I cleverly point out that he was who he was. He buys a case of beer and asks if were going to the show. He was very pleasant, chatted us up. Andre absolutely destroyed Bulldog Brown later that evening.
Andre the giant took a **** in Iowa once

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I remember John Wayne Gacy's most famous survivor, or perhaps his only survivor, was a guy in Iowa. Gacy did time in Anamosa for it, and was a model prisoner from the accounts I've heard.
And that survivor is the brother of Larry Nemmers that was the white hat for 3 Super Bowls in the 80s and 90s.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Bill Snyders wife is from Des Moines and is an ISU grad. He's in Des Moines 3 or 4 times a year for various things, nobody recognizes him in public though like they do in Kansas.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
The Whitesell brothers from Iowa Falls.

John is a television/film director (Big Momma's House 2 is one film)
Chris was/is a soap opera writer
Patrick is a talent agent and was married to Lauren Sanchez
Jim is the head coach for the Buffalo Bulls
Sean was a film and television actor, writer and producer (Donald Groves on HBO's Oz)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Nick Nolte lived in one of the Victorian houses in the Old Town part of Ames. He was in town a few years ago and called the owners (our friends) to ask if they would mind showing him around the house. They spent about an hour with him.
Did he check out their dryer?

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Yes, but he was an elementary school aged. There is a class photo somewhere on the internet with him
I think the hernia surgery his dad blamed took place during this time so it may have been performed in central Iowa.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron