Uiowa Markets Team to Shrinking Fan Base

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Shrinking? No. I doubt you are seeing many Iowa fans jump the fence. I think you are seeing more new non-alum fans becoming ISU fans (tavern fans are stoopid am I right?). That of course was Iowa's bread and butter in the state. There is still a big discrepancy in overall fan support between the two schools and more importantly donation money. Eastern Iowa as a whole still sees ISU as an afterthought in the state. But yes, here in Des Moines, Pollard's marketing plan is being well received.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Shrinking? No. I doubt you are seeing many Iowa fans jump the fence. I think you are seeing more new non-alum fans becoming ISU fans (tavern fans are stoopid am I right?). That of course was Iowa's bread and butter in the state. There is still a big discrepancy in overall fan support between the two schools and more importantly donation money. Eastern Iowa as a whole still sees ISU as an afterthought in the state. But yes, here in Des Moines, Pollard's marketing plan is being well received.
Coming from someone who lives in Eastern Iowa this is correct.

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
Obviously your AD is threatened by "lowly" ISU when they are scheduling public practices in West Des Moines at essentially the same time as the ISU spring game. IIRC they did something similar last year too. There's only so much of boring Kirk ball Iowans can handle.

IF Iowa football is boring, what does that make Cyclone football? Unwatchable? or is seeing Baylor put up 70 on you fun football to watch/ just curious....

CloneFan03

Mar 18, 2008
Cedar Falls, IA
Sure it has- fans can't get enough of a3-9 football powerhouse in Ames. So proud Paul is building something big in Ames-enough to make all us loyal Hawk fans want to follow the Clones.......

.......says the hawk fan spending the day on a Cyclones message board.....

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
If you live in central Iowa, it isn't difficult to see that ISU has made huge strides as far as attracting new fans. Hardcore Hawkeye fans have never been more pissy about ISU coverage or the Cyclones in general. That isn't to say ISU is going to become the bigger fanbase any time soon, but to poo-poo ISU's progress is ignoring reality.

ISU's football program is historically one of the worst in the NCAA. There's no way around that. But we have seen some recent success relative to our terrible history. The disparity between a Hawkeye fan and a Cyclone fan's perspective is we are comparing our current progress with our own history, not Iowa's. The typical Hawkeye fan simply can't fathom this as their entire universe revolves around Iowa City (even if they've never been there). We have a likeable coach and our athletic department has shown a desire to win (money) more so than at any period in our existence as a department. Our gameday experience is convenient, family-friendly, and fun. If we were to actually string some good seasons together, central Iowa would likely be pro-ISU instead of the 50/50 it is now.

And for basketball, we have Fred Hoiberg.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Shrinking fanbase?

No.

Indifferent with the football team right now? Yes.

I don't know...I'd consider both fanbases as shrinking. Have you seen the HS enrollment numbers in the state?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Not sure what the OP is trying to imply here. If Iowa fans are starting to turn and root for the right team because of the awesome MBB season that just wrapped up compared to the dumpster fire that was iowa MBB's season, translating into just as rabid support of the ISU FB team, then you might have a thread of credibilty here.....thin as heck but possible.

If you are saying that the tide in the state is turning to ISU FB from herky FB, especially after the total flop of a season we had last year, then I congratulate you on moving up from smoking the hemp in your grandpa's fenceline to now buying quality stuff..... which you smoked too much of prior to posting this thread. Move back one year and I would agree because ISU was supposed to own the state for once while iowa was supposed to suck moose ejaculate from spruce trees, yet we all know how that worked out.

Hopefully we right the ship this year with Mangino in charge of the O, but until he proves he get's it done, there won't be any trash talk of ISU FB vs anyone coming from this guy.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
ISU is definitely gaining more of the "grow up rooting for one team, go to the other university and convert" fans with the record enrollments and domination of in-state enrollments.

Also, Fred:wub:

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I don't know...I'd consider both fanbases as shrinking. Have you seen the HS enrollment numbers in the state?

I don't think that matters when ISU's enrollment figures increased. Also, ISU is getting more Iowa HS grads over Iowa (which has the lock on Chicago suburbanites.) I think that would turn the tide for ISU.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

I wouldn't say ISU is an afterthought in eastern Iowa now. In the mid-90s, when I attended and graduated from ISU, I also lived/live in the Dubuque and Cedar Rapids areas. Then I couldn't find ISU on TV, couldn't find merchandise in stores, and found our stories buried in the newspapers and local news. We were behind Iowa, UNI, and many Big 10 schools for coverage.

Now I can actually watch football and basketball games on tv, go to stores and buy some merchandise, find stories on the local news and newspaper, and see people with ISU license plates or wearing ISU clothes. The ISU tailgate tour seemed to have decent crowd at it too. While Iowa is clear #1, I think ISU crept up to #2 and closed the gap. Our status here has vastly improved since the 90s.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don't think that matters when ISU's enrollment figures increased. Also, ISU is getting more Iowa HS grads over Iowa (which has the lock on Chicago suburbanites.) I think that would turn the tide for ISU.

Point is that Iowa HS grad numbers are falling every year. ISU has upped enrollment because out of state tuition is comparable to in-state at some of our surrounding states. I know for sure that out of state at ISU costs less than in-state at Illinois. I don't know how sustainable the current enrollment trend is. I will say that out of state students can be big fans, but most move back out of state after graduation and it is difficult to be a diehard fan living far away...or at least difficult to attend games.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
My thought too. The table has turned and now Iowa is on the defensive trying to recover their fans. The die hard Iowa fans won't admit it but the tide is turning to ISU in the state.

Saying the tide is turning one way or the other would imply some kind of mass exodus. Iowa State has a long ways to go before the Cyclones are going to be even on equal footing, at least in football.

Fans grew indifferent to Iowa football. Holding a practice in WDM is a way to potentially stir up some excitement. Holding it at the same time as ISU's spring game is smart if you're in Barta's shoes; if you're going to do something in DSM anyway, why not **** with ISU as long as you're out that way?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Our football season last year sure didn't help the fanbase shift. Actually, it really is sad the number of people that I am starting to encounter that love Hawkeye football then in the winter turn around and are strong followers of Cyclone basketball. I find it pretty annoying actually.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
No fan of Iowa here, nor do I think their fanbase is shrinking. But, it seems odd that if they were as popular as people make them out to be, they wouldn't be able to fit all of their fans into Valley Stadium. I don't give a **** what college I'm playing for. If I have to have my spring game in a High School stadium, I could be looking elsewhere next year for a new place to play.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
No fan of Iowa here, nor do I think their fanbase is shrinking. But, it seems odd that if they were as popular as people make them out to be, they wouldn't be able to fit all of their fans into Valley Stadium. I don't give a **** what college I'm playing for. If I have to have my spring game in a High School stadium, I could be looking elsewhere next year for a new place to play.

It's a workout, not a spring game. Considering the fact the fans are watching players do up downs and stretches for two hours the attendance isn't bad.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Iowa has had a loss of enthusiasm more than a loss of fans. But your "last in" fans kind of drop out when they lose enthusiasm. So maybe a little bit, but nothing significant.

ISU has had a huge jump in enthusiasm, in spite of the polished fecal matter that was last FB season. That's on the hope (or hype if you prefer) around FB and the genuine success of The Mayor's BB team. This has added to the "last in" contingent.

I think it's tough to measure actual numbers of fans in a concrete way. No one is doing polls as far as I can tell. From what I see on the mean streets of Cedar Rapids over the past few years, the # of Hawk shirts & hats is probably same, but the number of ISU shirts & hats is up tremendously, albeit from a small base.

I think Iowa will get their enthusiasm back this fall, I think their FB team is going to win a lot of games.

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
Taking off my black and gold glasses, living in the Des Moines area, I do see more people displaying their Iowa State gear more than I've seen in recent years. Maybe because they have something to be proud of with the resurgence of the basketball program-and rightfully so . Fred is something to be proud of-but I think it will be a long wait on football.