Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Financial aid is limited to an institution's cost of attendance (COA-tuition, fees, R & B, expenses). Maximum Pell is about $6500 per year, whether you attend DMACC or Harvard. But COA varies.
I could be wrong, but I believe total aid package is still maxed out at COA. Pell Grant + athletic and other grants/scholarships can't exceed COA.
I know a couple girls who went to school and between grants and scholarships had their full schooling paid plus was pulling 5000 over the total cost. Irritated me because the parents would brag about it and then say they were still applying for more scholarships.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I know a couple girls who went to school and between grants and scholarships had their full schooling paid plus was pulling 5000 over the total cost. Irritated me because the parents would brag about it and then say they were still applying for more scholarships.

Normally, I would say this would bother me too but in the last few years working in a school, I’ve noticed hardly any kids apply for scholarships anymore and the ones that do apply do a very poor job of presenting themselves.

I had one girl make it her full time job to apply for scholarships on nights and weekends and she cleared over $44,000 by the time it was said and done. Not a bad gig for 6-9 months worth of work!

• Informative
Reactions: daniel22 and NWICY

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Normally, I would say this would bother me too but in the last few years working in a school, I’ve noticed hardly any kids apply for scholarships anymore and the ones that do apply do a very poor job of presenting themselves.

I had one girl make it her full time job to apply for scholarships on nights and weekends and she cleared over $44,000 by the time it was said and done. Not a bad gig for 6-9 months worth of work!
The biggest issue is scholarships are hard to get for certain people or at least there is the appearance they are. Unrelated topic but I didn’t have good enough grades to get the absolute top merit type scholarships and my parents made enough to not get need based ones.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It's amazing we have people on this board ready to jump-of-a-cliff in regard to college sports. What happened with Tyrese has been happening for mid-major and weaker P5 schools for close to a decade and has been out-of-control for the last few years before NIL.

It was great when we were the Portal darling. Now that the tide has turned, people are whining and ready to take up a new hobby like making potholders.

Take a step back, chill and watch TJ build next year's team. He did a pretty good job last season and all he has to sell was his vision and Hilton Magic. He built up some goodwill after the Sweet 16 run and has had a good start in the transfer portal this spring. I'm confident in a month we'll all be excited for the 22/23 season.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Thank God for Coach Matt Campbell, a lot of people would be depressed in Iowa. As for me, I loved basketball when the mayor was coach and the likes of Morris, Niang. It used to be fun. Now? Whatever happens, if it’s good then I watch, bad, I go to the strip club. Anyways Coach TJ needs to change his formula a bit and insist on scoring a lot of points, yes defense is also but you have to score more than the team. Some good players might not be coming to ISU if they don’t give them freedom to score. The nba needs scorers so TJ defensive system might be working against us…. I’m ignoring the NIL aspect here.

Don’t forget that Campbell nearly left us too. Had ND offered him, he would have left us in a heartbeat.

Nobody is truly loyal anymore.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The biggest issue is scholarships are hard to get for certain people or at least there is the appearance they are. Unrelated topic but I didn’t have good enough grades to get the absolute top merit type scholarships and my parents made enough to not get need based ones.
Know several kids of divorced parents and the parents figured out that If they just lived with their fiancé and not married that the kids get to count whichever parent they choose for things like reduced lunches, health care, FAFSA filings and such and typically max out government payments.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
but MecklinFk implied the entire country didn't know who Hunter was
He's probably right. Who outside of Big 12 fans would know him? There were probably alot of fans who saw the LSU game but before that why would they know him?

Any national attention we were getting before the tournament was with Brockington.

It's not like Tyrese was a top 10, 5-star player. Outside of those first few I wouldn't be able to name alot of players or know who most of the Top 50 high school players were.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

So scholarship applications seem to be down as college costs increase? That doesn't even make sense.

Reactions: CyState85

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
This isn't as fun to talk about but is a reality is style of play. You can win playing TJ's style. You can win with less talent playing TJ's style. Howvever, it is not necessarily a FUN way to play and somebody(agents) got in Tyrese's ear about this style not translating to the NBA.
27% shooting from the college three point line is what doesn’t translate to the NBA. Especially at 6’1”.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Sorry, but hes right. Jon Rothstein gets paid to know players. You think some average fan down in North Carolina cares about some freshman from the middle of nowhere who shot 26% from three?

Put yourself in their shoes, they are used to winning national championships and getting 5 star players, why should they care about a guy like Hunter who isn't as talented as their other guards?
People keep saying this but Tyrese was way, way better as a freshman than Caleb Love was as a freshman for example. Love was also a year older playing with UNC talent amd Roy Williams as a coach. Who cares if the average fan doesn't know who Tyrese is, he was still awesome.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclones1969

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Uh, no, they didn’t. He’s been a Prohm guy who TJ managed to keep in the fold. But like all the other Prohm guys he flaked out in the end. Just like Prohm.

Well because he is the last, and they won 22 games and made the sweet 16 with Prohm flakes, I guess from here on out 23+ wins and elite 8's should be just a normal every year occurrence right?

I'm good with it. I just hope they don't do worse because geez.......I would hate to think TJ's best year was due in part because of some Prohm flakes.

• Dumb
Reactions: dafarmer

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It is very funny seeing that after everyone said he was unequivocally a TJ guy like, a week ago lol.
1 year in and unequivocally no Prohm guys left. What a difference compared to the stocked roster Hoiberg left Prohm. Now THIS will be a valid time to attribute some of the challenges to the previous coach, although TJ basically matched the success of that previous transition in Year 1, despite actually being left a turd. Hopefully Year 2 he’s just as resilient

• Winner
Reactions: dafarmer

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
You realize Iowa State is a helluva lot closer to the top of the food chain than the bottom, right?

The complete 180 that's going to go on if AJ Green heads to Ames is going to really be something...

It's too bad you've been adamant it's either UNI or the pros for AJ though

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Sorry, but hes right. Jon Rothstein gets paid to know players. You think some average fan down in North Carolina cares about some freshman from the middle of nowhere who shot 26% from three?

Put yourself in their shoes, they are used to winning national championships and getting 5 star players, why should they care about a guy like Hunter who isn't as talented as their other guards?
Ordinarily, yes.
But MechCounty was bragging about the number one basketball board 'on the planet'. Surely, one or two of these college basketball experts would have heard something about the best frosh player in the top league in the country.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cyclones500