Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Now that I've had a day to process this I think moving forward I'll jsut treat it like he helped us go on a Sweet 16 run, then left early for the NBA.

The difference being I'll never cheer for him or follow his career like I did for Monte and those guys. If his team happens to be in Des Moines next year fro the tourney I'll be probably be booing him loudly.
so you’re not done anymore?

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Hey quick question. Does central Iowa get enough snow for a snowmobile or safe ice to fish? I’m looking for other hobbies this winter. TIA.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Now that I've had a day to process this I think moving forward I'll jsut treat it like he helped us go on a Sweet 16 run, then left early for the NBA.

The difference being I'll never cheer for him or follow his career like I did for Monte and those guys. If his team happens to be in Des Moines next year fro the tourney I'll be probably be booing him loudly.
A day? You've been posting about him all day today, and you said you'd be done with basketball.

• Funny
Reactions: NENick and CyCrazy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Carolina has zero scholarships available, and a trio of PGs between Trimble, love, and Davis. UNC never made sense for Hunter.
1. No scholarships
2. Depth
3. Hubert Davis prioritizes shooters over anything. We can all agree that ain’t Hunters strength.
If you get enough money, why would a scholarship matter?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Sorry, but hes right. Jon Rothstein gets paid to know players. You think some average fan down in North Carolina cares about some freshman from the middle of nowhere who shot 26% from three?

Put yourself in their shoes, they are used to winning national championships and getting 5 star players, why should they care about a guy like Hunter who isn't as talented as their other guards?
doesn't Rothstein mean LONG numbers for this one. (vs. LONG line for this one?)

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Sorry, but hes right. Jon Rothstein gets paid to know players. You think some average fan down in North Carolina cares about some freshman from the middle of nowhere who shot 26% from three?

Put yourself in their shoes, they are used to winning national championships and getting 5 star players, why should they care about a guy like Hunter who isn't as talented as their other guards?
As w/ North Carolina fans-they probably don't know or care -yes.........
but MecklinFk implied the entire country didn't know who Hunter was

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
As w/ North Carolina fans-they probably don't know or care -yes.........
but MecklinFk implied the entire country didn't know who Hunter was
If Tyrese goes to a UNC type school, doesn't play enough, and then does not make the NBA due to less minutes, less points/game, this will prove to be a bad decision for him. (for the purposes of getting him to the league)

That's why I'm upset, I am not hating on a young man getting money, because that is the system in place now. I just question if he is getting garbage advice.. He had everything in Ames for a very reasonable path to the league. like one more year maybe.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Student-athletes can receive merit based aid (academic scholarships) and need based aid (Pell Grant) without this aid counting toward NCAA scholarship limitations.

So most of the players get max pell grants, which means they also receive other grants most likely? So by the time it’s done most are pulling 10-12k in free cash while at college? Makes me feel less sorry for them.
Financial aid is limited to an institution's cost of attendance (COA-tuition, fees, R & B, expenses). Maximum Pell is about $6500 per year, whether you attend DMACC or Harvard. But COA varies.
I could be wrong, but I believe total aid package is still maxed out at COA. Pell Grant + athletic and other grants/scholarships can't exceed COA.

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
Thank God for Coach Matt Campbell, a lot of people would be depressed in Iowa. As for me, I loved basketball when the mayor was coach and the likes of Morris, Niang. It used to be fun. Now? Whatever happens, if it’s good then I watch, bad, I go to the strip club. Anyways Coach TJ needs to change his formula a bit and insist on scoring a lot of points, yes defense is also but you have to score more than the team. Some good players might not be coming to ISU if they don’t give them freedom to score. The nba needs scorers so TJ defensive system might be working against us…. I’m ignoring the NIL aspect here.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclones1969

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Thank God for Coach Matt Campbell, a lot of people would be depressed in Iowa. As for me, I loved basketball when the mayor was coach and the likes of Morris, Niang. It used to be fun. Now? Whatever happens, if it’s good then I watch, bad, I go to the strip club. Anyways Coach TJ needs to change his formula a bit and insist on scoring a lot of points, yes defense is also but you have to score more than the team. Some good players might not be coming to ISU if they don’t give them freedom to score. The nba needs scorers so TJ defensive system might be working against us…. I’m ignoring the NIL aspect here.
1650352032364.png

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney