Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
What’s the minimum salary? I don’t think you should be surprised if an NIL coop for Duke offers a kid/family with no money 100k to fight for a spot vs going to ISU for 5k and whatever he can make on cameo and be the man, that the kid/family chooses Duke.

Sure, but how is that different than today? Duke's 8th man was Joey Baker a senior who was a top 40 recruit, their 11th man was a top 100 recruit. Let's say they round out their entire 15 man roster with top 100 recruits, there is still only so many minutes to go around. Does that make who they put on the floor any better? They have five potential first round guys on their team this year.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I don't blame Hunter one bit and wish him well at his next stop.

This system really, really sucks.

Doubt this will be a popular take but this system is still better than the one it replaced. If Tyrese Hunter is worth $750k (or whatever) then he should be able to earn that. He's a borderline at best NBA talent; in the old system, he'd play four years in college and come out of it with $0 and a future of a few more years in the G League or Romania. Good for guys like him to capitalize on their value now.

I do think the system should be improved further, but I still think this is better than it was. It's just hurting ISU at the moment with this one decision by this one kid.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
There's literally no enforcement mechanism for tampering at the NCAA level so he can yell, scream and shout all he wants and nothing changes.

Plus, 99% of these kids are smart enough to run everything through a high school or AAU coach.
Whether you win or not, doing everything in his power so schools know Iowa st won’t be quiet about tampering is important.

Iowa st can’t compete if every successful freshman is bought by teams like unc

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones1969

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Has nothing to with the player personally. Its what the Supreme Court did that caused this. This is only the beginning, they've officially opened Pandora's box and teams like Iowa State will be left in the dust scrambling to throw together a roster every year.

I can’t believe so many think it’s no big deal that almost any future freshman gem we find is guaranteed to leave for pro college ball.

Monte, Breece, Georges, Purdy…all underrecruited freshman studs who would now need to turn down 500k to a million bucks to keep a cyclone logo on jersey.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I can’t believe so many think it’s no big deal that almost any future freshman gem we find is guaranteed to leave for pro college ball.

Monte, Breece, Georges, Purdy…all underrecruited freshman studs who would now need to turn down 500k to a million bucks to keep a cyclone logo on jersey.
"guaranteed"

Reactions: baagoe and CyJack13

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I seriously believe Tyrese got word AJ Green is going to be on the roster next year. Tyrese thought he would be the focus of next year's offense and build a resume for the '23 draft. For how effective Green is in volume I wouldn't blame him to playing 1 year somewhere else.

If that theory is completely wrong then forget everything I just said.
the-office-note.gif

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Whether you win or not, doing everything in his power so schools know Iowa st won’t be quiet about tampering is important.

Iowa st can’t compete if every successful freshman is bought by teams like unc
You realize Iowa State is a helluva lot closer to the top of the food chain than the bottom, right?

The complete 180 that's going to go on if AJ Green heads to Ames is going to really be something...

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
How does that not impact you directly? Of course it impacts us, we are fans of a team.

Correct. I'm just a fan. And while I love sports, I certainly do not rely on them for my survival. My life will go on.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The idea that any of you wouldn't do exactly what Tyrese is doing in his situation is laughable. As Iowa State fans, we don't have to like the result. It stinks. But to question the kid for going after a solid payday, especially with the hand he's been dealt in life, is truly absurd.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You should be melting down also, money has officially ruined the sport. A few of us tried to tell you guys NIl would destory college sports as we know it, not even 2 years later and it's over.
Why? Because the same teams will still win the championship? This ain't a game of opportunity here. Most programs have a limited ceiling. This shows us that in a "new" way.

• Agree
Reactions: MJ29 and cyIclSoneU

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Sucks for us, but here we go
Agree, I look at this as we either try to keep up with KU, UK, Duke, UNC etc... Or we change our recruiting to players that require more development and accept going to the tournament less often. I don't really like either option. If we get high level players and can't pay enough and lose them then we're back to almost complete turnover in the roster every year and that's not appealing to me at all.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
You realize Iowa State is a helluva lot closer to the top of the food chain than the bottom, right?

The complete 180 that's going to go on if AJ Green heads to Ames is going to really be something...
You realize being in the top 50% doesn't mean anything now right?

Reactions: isufbcurt

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
So at the risk of getting even more disappointed, what do you think George is implying here? That he knows Tyrese didn't really like ISU, that he knows Tyrese has always wanted to play for a blue blood, that Tyrese doesn't think our coaches or our offense can showcase him enough? (which I doubt since he blew up nationally during Sweet 16 run).
What the heck is it?

George isn't implying anything other than this may not be all about money.

An 18 year old who stuck out a coaching change.

TJ was not the original recruiter. Doesn't mean anything bad........just wasn't the guy.

ISU is no blue blood and Tyrese could have went anywhere. He stuck it out at the school after they fired the guy that recruited him and was a big part in ISU winning 22 games and making the sweet 16. And now he wants to leave.

Look at Grill.......ISU to UNVL to ISU. If TJ left now......it would be a safe bet Grill would transfer again. Maybe to where TJ is going.

This stuff happens. Is a little frustrating TJ couldn't keep that type of talent, yes......but it is what it is.

I'm under no illusion that TJ is the end all-be all of recruiting like some have painted him. No one should be. He did a great job of mixing left over talent with transfers. Now he will have to do it all again.

Who knows.......22 wins and a sweet 16 might be the best ISU get out of TJ. I hope not, but I don't know.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The idea that any of you wouldn't do exactly what Tyrese is doing in his situation is laughable. As Iowa State fans, we don't have to like the result. It stinks. But to question the kid for going after a solid payday, especially with the hand he's been dealt in life, is truly absurd.
No. Nobody has ever left a job for more money.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Will there even be a state of Iowa in 10 years if the NIL continues like this?!
The state of Iowa benefits from two large universities that are in major conferences. Look no further then UNI and the down fall of their program/university.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

About 100 programs are now on pace to be busted down to UNI’s level of local/national interest. It’ll take about ten years.

It’ll be a huge killer in football.

Reactions: NoCreativity

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I mean, the literal best players in the world think they all need to play together so the kids that idolize them aren't going to be any different.

Does that actually hurt ISU though? Remember when Kentucky had a second five of McDonald's All-Americans a few years ago? That team didnt end up being a juggernaut, didn't even make the Final Four.

The only way I see this really impacting college basketball is if the NIL can convince lottery types to stick around longer. If schools can get a would be freshman lottery pick to stick around three years, yeah that could change things. I don't see that happening, but if it did I would be all for it. College basketball was much better when you had upperclassmen lottery pick stars, that hasn't really been the case for 20+ years now though.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Agree, it just sucks and the constant turnover of the roster isn't appealing either.