Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Hunter going to KU and not improving or playing a lesser role would be something to sell in the future.

KU is going to land top players. Between Pack, Kendrick Davis, and Hunter, I know who I want Williams having to defend next year.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Hunter going to KU and not improving or playing a lesser role would be something to sell in the future.

KU is going to land top players. Between Pack, Kendrick Davis, and Hunter, I know who I want Williams having to defend next year.
As annoying as Hunter at Kansas would be, I think you're right that from a pure basketball standpoint, it sure beats them having Pack or Davis.

I think Hunter can become a great college player, and already is a great college defender. But he's far from Pack or Davis on offense at this point.

Now watch him shoot 40% from three next year and turn it over half as much because I just said that.

• Sad
Reactions: quasistellar

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I wonder how these big NIL deals will affect team chemistry. What if you think you are just as good, or close to as good as a guy pulling down $400,000/yr.? Do you want to see that guy succeed? Do you forget to pass him the ball and try and "get yours"?
We've talked about this a lot in our household. Most players always seem to tweet "go get yours, big fella" because obviously they're all for players getting paid. But, yeah, how do you manage it w/recruiting knowing you can't offer everyone the big $$$$? Where does the line get drawn? Put most of your money to get a few big time recruits and take what's leftover to fill in the non-skill positions? Crazy.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
As annoying as Hunter at Kansas would be, I think you're right that from a pure basketball standpoint, it sure beats them having Pack or Davis.

I think Hunter can become a great college player, and already is a great college defender. But he's far from Pack or Davis on offense at this point.

Now watch him shoot 40% from three next year and turn it over half as much because I just said that.
Well of course that will happen, because not only is he a year more experienced, he already has the instincts on defense even emphasized more by the way we aggressively coached it. And he will be surrounded by more scorers , better roster.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Aug 20, 2012
I wasn't sure if you were asking who is giving him 800k or where he is going to play

“Pack, who can play either guard spot and is considered one of the best shooters in the country., has also agreed to a $400,000 per year, or $800,000 total, NIL deal with John Ruiz and LifeWallet for his potential two upcoming seasons at Miami.”

Link is here.

Tyrese Hunter would be an absolute fool not to leave ISU for *any* role on *any* team if he can get that kind of money.

The odds he’d be able to work his way into a lottery pick here but not get serious run at a KU/Duke/Kentucky are low. Where he plays next year likely won’t affect his rookie contract in the NBA. Take the money now. It is *way* better than a Lloyd’s of London insurance policy…

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
This is what OU FB players are supposedly getting:

every one? As in the same, and that's the max? So how does that help them bring in the 4 and 5-star players if they're offered much more elsewhere? All the NCAA has to do is put a 'cap' on it. Then say every scholarship player must be paid the same. After all, isn't that why we want them paid? They are a 'team' bringing in money, not individuals? Plus they're getting their education (well, dont laugh at that part)

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

I know he has things to work on but I don't see at all why you think he would possibly play a lesser role. He'll play more than Remy Martin did.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
“Pack, who can play either guard spot and is considered one of the best shooters in the country., has also agreed to a $400,000 per year, or $800,000 total, NIL deal with John Ruiz and LifeWallet for his potential two upcoming seasons at Miami.”

Link is here.

Tyrese Hunter would be an absolute fool not to leave ISU for *any* role on *any* team if he can get that kind of money.

The odds he’d be able to work his way into a lottery pick here but not get serious run at a KU/Duke/Kentucky are low. Where he plays next year likely won’t affect his rookie contract in the NBA. Take the money now. It is *way* better than a Lloyd’s of London insurance policy…
I wonder if anybody has told Pack how much of that the government is going to get. Hopefully he learns that before he starts spending it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I doubt that’s what’s going through his head. It’s the $$.

And chance at more winning and legit shot at a natty, more TV time, etc.

As B12 Freshman of the year he was on ESPN+ or ESPNU an awful lot.

If he were on a KU etc many more people would have known about his assist stats.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
And chance at more winning and legit shot at a natty, more TV time, etc.

As B12 Freshman of the year he was on ESPN+ or ESPNU an awful lot.

If he were on a KU etc many more people would have known about his assist stats.
He wouldn’t have had those stats this past year at KU. His turnovers would’ve kept him on the bench a lot.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He's a cheating POS and has mastered buying players for years and years. Of course he's going to openly buy players now that it is legal and sort of above board.

The whole thing reaks of 'clean slate' for these programs that have had things come to light.

• Agree
Reactions: Bocy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He wouldn’t have had those stats this past year at KU. His turnovers would’ve kept him on the bench a lot.

Wasn't being literal. Just saying he did some great things and was not a national name...being at a better school helps that.

I'd also argue that he maybe doesn't turn it over as much without carrying so much weight. Maybe even more assists when reliable shooters are everywhere.

Reactions: Stormin

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
every one? As in the same, and that's the max? So how does that help them bring in the 4 and 5-star players if they're offered much more elsewhere? All the NCAA has to do is put a 'cap' on it. Then say every scholarship player must be paid the same. After all, isn't that why we want them paid? They are a 'team' bringing in money, not individuals? Plus they're getting their education (well, dont laugh at that part)

A lot of schools will have multiple groups giving out this money.

One group might be giving out $X for every player. Another might be more focused on the big fish.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Notice we didn't see Hunter visiting KU on Twitter until today? If they had got Kendric Davis instead of Memphis just recently, would that visit happen?