TWS- Baylor

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Custer was killed with all of his soldiers for whatever over-confidence he

Foolishness is not the lesson: it was about dying outmanned at Baylor.

It has sunk in that the season has bellied-up with no rescue in sight. Only unrealistically will I believe this season not coast into obscurity. Still love my team. I am not the coach. I am a long-time fan wanting and cheering for more success. Bill is always pushing his team for preparing for success and upset at mistakes that lead to setbacks. Same here.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Well, sounds like ---- onto next season. Hallie scored ten. The awards for this team will not be many. Seanna was the biggest over achiever apparently.

Feels like the Baylor/OSU men's team flameouts.

We have some good things to look forward to next year in a potent guard set. We will however have as bevy of untested post talent coming (Ricketts, Fernstrom) in and returning (Maddie, Jensen).

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
What is the word on Ricketts and Fernstrom? Are they going to be able to step in and play right away? I am extremelly concerned about next year as well.

Maddie will be coming off her ACL injury and was unproven before the injury.

JJ is obviously stuggling to get back up to speed. She is the LAST one off of the bench - even in our early blow outs.

With no Hallie and just Maddie, JJ and Ellis in the post. I REALLY hope that the frosh are ready to step up in a HUGE way.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
What is the word on Ricketts and Fernstrom? Are they going to be able to step in and play right away? I am extremelly concerned about next year as well.

Maddie will be coming off her ACL injury and was unproven before the injury.

JJ is obviously stuggling to get back up to speed. She is the LAST one off of the bench - even in our early blow outs.

With no Hallie and just Maddie, JJ and Ellis in the post. I REALLY hope that the frosh are ready to step up in a HUGE way.

I am equally concerned about next year. I love every gal on the team, but none of them have shown the tools to compete at the needed level. Yes, the frosh need to step up in a HUGE HUGE way!

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I'm not worried about next year's squad. Coach is bringing in the players we need - a dominant post, a great shooting/moving guard and a power forward. The one cry we've heard this year is lack of depth. The staff has addressed that. This class is actually rated better than last year's and look what we got from that. We will have a guard rotation that is at least 4 deep. Two solid forwards and 2-3 deep at the post. Yes, the post is unproven, but these are quality kids. I expect Fernstrom to step in a make a solid contribution. Durr will get immediate playing time. Ricketts will add size and depth at Forward. We'll be fine.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I'm not worried about next year's squad. Coach is bringing in the players we need - a dominant post, a great shooting/moving guard and a power forward. The one cry we've heard this year is lack of depth. The staff has addressed that. This class is actually rated better than last year's and look what we got from that. We will have a guard rotation that is at least 4 deep. Two solid forwards and 2-3 deep at the post. Yes, the post is unproven, but these are quality kids. I expect Fernstrom to step in a make a solid contribution. Durr will get immediate playing time. Ricketts will add size and depth at Forward. We'll be fine.

Many of these numbers will be new players. My question is will the coaching staff use that many players? We have not done it in the past and is not BF's style of play.IMO we could have used more of our bench this year to rest players for short periods so they were not what looked like winded at times.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Many of these numbers will be new players. My question is will the coaching staff use that many players? We have not done it in the past and is not BF's style of play.IMO we could have used more of our bench this year to rest players for short periods so they were not what looked like winded at times.

The guard depth will only be relying on one new player (Durr). We bring back three tested guards. At forward we would be adding one player (Ricketts) to the mix along with Brynn. The only "new" player at post is Fernstrom, although we all know that position is completely untested. At least we were seeing signs of progress with Maddie before she went down. I still think she could have made a difference in our team's performance during the conference season. So, the biggest questions are probably going to be how quickly Fernstrom adapts to the college game, is she physically ready, and how will Maddie and Jensen bounce back?

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
The guard depth will only be relying on one new player (Durr). We bring back three tested guards. At forward we would be adding one player (Ricketts) to the mix along with Brynn. The only "new" player at post is Fernstrom, although we all know that position is completely untested. At least we were seeing signs of progress with Maddie before she went down. I still think she could have made a difference in our team's performance during the conference season. So, the biggest questions are probably going to be how quickly Fernstrom adapts to the college game, is she physically ready, and how will Maddie and Jensen bounce back?
I Bell will also compete for guard play time. She is faster than Nikki.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames

Thanks, Cous. You've certainly got a better pulse on this than most of us - your positive comments made my day!

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I just want to say, my post was not drinking Kool-aid. Kansas beat Baylor, we just beat Kansas. I fully realized that the odds were small, but in order to win you need some self confidence. What I did was called, "Cheering". That is what you do like in games, even games that you are not expecting to win, but would hope to at least play well and make a good showing. You don't approach a game you are expecting to lose and say, girls, you will get pounded, Rah Rah rah!. Therefore, I was not into Kool-aid, rather, call me an ISU fan.

By the way, geewago is a good guy. He is sincere about liking ISU. He is even more a Baylor fan. I have no problem with him. I snapped back, but I really didn't care, I just hate seeing what happened there.

cyking

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Boone
It is great that we are still ranked in the USA today coaches poll. We are a solid 23rd in the nation.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
This year is the culmination of several years of poor recruiting. The fact that Moody was the only legit point guard last year and Hallie is by herself as a big this year is testimony. A transfer here and there can be expected, but we had a plethora of guards transfer in the last few years, many of which were not meant to be Big 12 caliber. After Pop, Prins, and Hallie, we started to just flat miss on the inside. Hallie being the only scholarship recruit in her class speaks volumes. Makes me think there was a reason Jack moved on. Jury is still out on Billy, but he is a young guy who may be able to reach the kids a little better in this social media age. Buckley and Johnson look to be the start of a change in that. The recruiting class this year looks more balanced, hopefully they can contribute right away, because we need it.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The last recruiting class and the one just signed are perhaps two of the best Iowa State has ever had. Recruiting shows up more and more as the talent levels in the conference keep getting better. I, for one, didn't give Baylor the credit they are showing they are due. Dislike their coach with a passion but she has refilled the tank to a degree. I think they will be better (more well rounded) next year without Sims. In the opposite direction look at OU. They were picked to finish at the top of the conference and have struggled like us. Next years recruiting class will be the most critical to maintain balance. We have three classes of quality guards and need the pipeline of bigs to be replenished. Another high quality 6' 4" or taller post should be a priority along with a strong 6' plus forward.