Two-thirds of millennials have nothing saved for retirement

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I didn't read the whole thread, but will share a few observations -- I used to work in a call center for 401K's and that type of thing up till a couple years ago.

The comments about boomers and older workers not having enough for retirement is spot on. About half of people who would leave their jobs who called in would cash out their meager 401K, take the 10% penalty and pay full taxes on it. I would get a lot of comments like "yeah, I know I'm not supposed to, but I really need the money. It's only $5,000, so it's not going to make a difference anyhow in the long run." Some of these people were 50, 55, 60, so you wonder how many jobs they've left over a lifetime and how many times they've cashed out their "only $5,000" 401K over the years.

People over age 45 who would openly admit to me (sometimes I was like the person in the confessional! I think because I was a stranger it was easier to admit things to me than someone they know) that they have no retirement savings at all, no 401K, no pension, no IRA . . . not even a CD or savings account with more than a token sum. It was a lot of people. A scary lot of people.

I would say half of people current over age 50 are going to hit a point where they can no longer (comfortably) work, and they are essentially going to live off nothing but Social Security (a bad forced savings plan) & government assistance. The government will essentially tell them the type of home they can live in (a small, crappy apartment that accepts housing assistance), the type of food they can eat, etc.

- one last anecdote -- Spoke to a guy once who was about 55 years old, give or take 3 years. He had worked for his company about a year, and wanted to start saving for retirement. He had never saved for retirement before, but I applaud him for the "better late than never" mindset. His company would only let him make a max 401K contribution of 20% of each paycheck. He noticed that on the website (which was like a tool to project retirement savings), even if he set his retirement contribution to 20%, his projected retirement income (with a Social Security projection included) was way, way below what he needed to live somewhat comfortably. I asked if he could put more in on his own (outside of work) into something, he said he couldn't afford to. "Is there anything I can do?" I had to be the one to break it to him. It was honestly very sad. At age 55, this was the first time in his life that he saw the actual facts and figures showing him that even if he saved 20 cents on every dollar earned, starting now, he could not even come close to being able to retire at age 65. He was nice, but almost in tears when he realized at that point that he would have to work for (likely) the rest of his life.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Sure, that's all well and good, but my questions would be:

1) 5% seems low for average returns

I'm not talking returns, I'm talking about cash dividends paid out every month or every quarter. Most high dividend ETFs are between 3-4% dividend rate. REITs can be from 6-10% but they are more risky. Finding a balance is important.

With 50k in dividends I never have to touch the principle balance of the account.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm not talking returns, I'm talking about cash dividends paid out every month or every quarter. Most high dividend ETFs are between 3-4% dividend rate. REITs can be from 6-10% but they are more risky. Finding a balance is important.

With 50k in dividends I never have to touch the principle balance of the account.

After taxes, you are probably at 38000/year. You can live on 3000-3500/month?

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

He originally said:
'Before I had kids my goal was $1m in 5% dividend-paying stocks which would give me $50k/year and I'd retire early. This would be in addition to retirement accounts. Then we had kids. We still save through work and through Roth IRA, but I'm nowhere near even sniffing that amount. Last year I made about $2500 in dividends. Ha.'

I guess if your goal is setting your kids up REAL nice when you die that's nice. I imagine you'd be the guy who still has life insurance with a million dollar retirement account, too?

Seems a bit excessive to me, but obviously to each their own.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
He originally said:
'Before I had kids my goal was $1m in 5% dividend-paying stocks which would give me $50k/year and I'd retire early. This would be in addition to retirement accounts. Then we had kids. We still save through work and through Roth IRA, but I'm nowhere near even sniffing that amount. Last year I made about $2500 in dividends. Ha.'

I guess if your goal is setting your kids up REAL nice when you die that's nice. I imagine you'd be the guy who still has life insurance with a million dollar retirement account, too?

What's excessive? At this point we're just a normal family, but my goal is to be able to leave money for my kids. I don't know why that would be excessive.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He originally said:

I was getting at the retiring early. To me early is 55 area. My wife is retiring at 56. Before 59 1/2 you can't take money out of retirement accounts without penalty. So you basically would need to live off income or investment income.

Yes, I would like to leave something to my kids and make their life easier. Besides, 1 mil in a retirement account doesn't get you very far.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

yeah 50k to me would be lower than what we'd want. I think they recommend 80% of current salary? I know we won't have a mortgage by then but that's still quite a drop from where we are now. I think you nailed it in your post. We would love to travel after retirement. That takes $$$. We'd like to be able to retire before 70 or at least go part-time. That takes $$$. At least on my side, all four grandparents (including some lifetime smokers and drinkers) are all alive in their mid-80s. DH has one left who is in their 90's. We probably need to plan on living for a while!

Inflation, taxes, healthcare costs, home repairs, vehicles, will eat up that money and we to would like to be able to leave something for our children.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I was getting at the retiring early. To me early is 55 area. My wife is retiring at 56. Before 59 1/2 you can't take money out of retirement accounts without penalty. So you basically would need to live off income or investment income.

Yes, I would like to leave something to my kids and make their life easier. Besides, 1 mil in a retirement account doesn't get you very far.

I think our calculations have $2-3 million as a lower end goal if you're counting on Social Security, which we're not.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Perhaps my post wasn't clear. My goal was to get $50k/year in investment income. ( It's not happening so it doesn't matter at this point) Either her or I would still work a full time job. But the dividend income would allow us way greater flexibility.

The 50k wouldn't be our entire income.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I didn't read the whole thread, but will share a few observations -- I used to work in a call center for 401K's and that type of thing up till a couple years ago.

The comments about boomers and older workers not having enough for retirement is spot on. About half of people who would leave their jobs who called in would cash out their meager 401K, take the 10% penalty and pay full taxes on it. I would get a lot of comments like "yeah, I know I'm not supposed to, but I really need the money. It's only $5,000, so it's not going to make a difference anyhow in the long run." Some of these people were 50, 55, 60, so you wonder how many jobs they've left over a lifetime and how many times they've cashed out their "only $5,000" 401K over the years.

People over age 45 who would openly admit to me (sometimes I was like the person in the confessional! I think because I was a stranger it was easier to admit things to me than someone they know) that they have no retirement savings at all, no 401K, no pension, no IRA . . . not even a CD or savings account with more than a token sum. It was a lot of people. A scary lot of people.

I would say half of people current over age 50 are going to hit a point where they can no longer (comfortably) work, and they are essentially going to live off nothing but Social Security (a bad forced savings plan) & government assistance. The government will essentially tell them the type of home they can live in (a small, crappy apartment that accepts housing assistance), the type of food they can eat, etc.

- one last anecdote -- Spoke to a guy once who was about 55 years old, give or take 3 years. He had worked for his company about a year, and wanted to start saving for retirement. He had never saved for retirement before, but I applaud him for the "better late than never" mindset. His company would only let him make a max 401K contribution of 20% of each paycheck. He noticed that on the website (which was like a tool to project retirement savings), even if he set his retirement contribution to 20%, his projected retirement income (with a Social Security projection included) was way, way below what he needed to live somewhat comfortably. I asked if he could put more in on his own (outside of work) into something, he said he couldn't afford to. "Is there anything I can do?" I had to be the one to break it to him. It was honestly very sad. At age 55, this was the first time in his life that he saw the actual facts and figures showing him that even if he saved 20 cents on every dollar earned, starting now, he could not even come close to being able to retire at age 65. He was nice, but almost in tears when he realized at that point that he would have to work for (likely) the rest of his life.

My parents pulled everything out at the beginning of the dot com bust and never got back in. They felt very smart about that choice but I think of where they could have been ~20 years later now. Believe the plan is to rely on the farm. Makes me more than a bit nervous to see that.....especially as the only financially stable child when "jokes" are made about living with me when they retire.
Mom actually has an opportunity to take a very well paying job with a company they work with and we've done marketing stuff for for years. She mentioned at Xmas that people wanted her to run for it (board member type role that requires election) but didn't feel qualified/what if grand kids come along. I practically arm twisted her into promising she'd run because the money and benefits would be much needed as both parents will be in the 60 club as of this year. (Plus she would enjoy it and be good at it) But as in your example, I realize that even 5+ years of that will hardly make a dent. Better than nothing, I suppose.

We're sure DH's parents don't have enough either. They have some but I think the plan is to rely on an as of yet unreceived inheritance as well.

This may be why DH and I have a lot saved already........and I don't know what will happen down the road with parents but our priority will be saving for our own retirement and children.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think our calculations have $2-3 million as a lower end goal if you're counting on Social Security, which we're not.

Being a farmer, I have way too many variables to be able to have a number. Also something I could keep doing longer if needed. I don't want to sit around when my kids are gone. Want to go to Germany to see "where my relatives came from" and other places. Would love to pay for our travel and offer to pay for any kids/their families if they want to go. May need someone to push my wheelchair by then!

I also am determined to have my kids leave college with no debt and a dependable, not necessarily nice, car to start their individual lives.

Reactions: cowgirl836

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
What's excessive? At this point we're just a normal family, but my goal is to be able to leave money for my kids. I don't know why that would be excessive.

You said you want $50k in dividend income/year so you wouldn't have to touch the $1,000,000 principal, in addition to a retirement account (which would likely have another million or 2?). So in that scenario, you'd likely be leaving your kids a million dollars (at least, more if you die early). Assuming you raise them with a similar responsible financial attitude, they probably wouldn't even need it.

I'm not knocking building family wealth & leaving your kids in a better position than you ever were. I guess it depends where you're at and how much you're sacrificing to achieve that. I haven't received a dime from my parents since high school, and likely won't for the rest of my life. That's fine, I've turned out much better off than them financially and my kids are already lined up to have wayyy more assistance than I ever had.

I know people who max 401k & Roth accounts, while not buying anything, not taking trips, or anything like that. If you're able to still do all that in your 30's while saving all those millions, I guess that's different and I can understand it. It's obviously a balance that each individual/family is going to have a different idea of what's best for them - nothing wrong with that.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
You said you want $50k in dividend income/year so you wouldn't have to touch the $1,000,000 principal, in addition to a retirement account (which would likely have another million or 2?). So in that scenario, you'd likely be leaving your kids a million dollars (at least, more if you die early). Assuming you raise them with a similar responsible financial attitude, they probably wouldn't even need it.

I'm not knocking building family wealth & leaving your kids in a better position than you ever were. I guess it depends where you're at and how much you're sacrificing to achieve that. I haven't received a dime from my parents since high school, and likely won't for the rest of my life. That's fine, I've turned out much better off than them financially and my kids are already lined up to have wayyy more assistance than I ever had.

I know people who max 401k & Roth accounts, while not buying anything, not taking trips, or anything like that. If you're able to still do all that in your 30's while saving all those millions, I guess that's different and I can understand it. It's obviously a balance that each individual/family is going to have a different idea of what's best for them - nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, obviously. I said once we had kids I stopped thinking I'd reach that goal because life happened. My goal is still to have enough for my grandkid's college. That was my parent's goal with my kid so I figure it can be my goal my grandchild as well.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

We don't take many trips because with three active kids, we rarely have a week that they don't have a game, activitiy or something going on. Both of my oldest are skipping a track meet over spring break so we can take a trip then.

Besides, if those people maxing things out enjoy what they are doing and are content not taking trips, what harm is that? They won't be depending on others at any time and if that is what trips their trigger, more power to them. Better than spending a bunch of money on trips and when you turn 60 realize that you have 5k in a retirement account and your kids have 75k in college debt,imo.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
We don't take many trips because with three active kids, we rarely have a week that they don't have a game, activitiy or something going on. Both of my oldest are skipping a track meet over spring break so we can take a trip then.

Besides, if those people maxing things out enjoy what they are doing and are content not taking trips, what harm is that? They won't be depending on others at any time and if that is what trips their trigger, more power to them. Better than spending a bunch of money on trips and when you turn 60 realize that you have 5k in a retirement account and your kids have 75k in college debt,imo.

Yeah, I know, different strokes for different folks.

And I'm not advocating for spending ALL your money now then living off social security in your 70's - just that the benefit of saving x millions for years that aren't guaranteed has a limit.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
How much do you want to save?

I don't necessarily have a specific number, but think we would be very comfortable if my wife & I each have a million in retirement savings. In addition to owning a house worth ~$300,000, which seems likely at this point since our current house worth $220k (and climbing) will be paid for by age 50.

I'm not fully convinced we won't get ANYTHING in SS, but even counting on zero I think we'd have more than enough.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't necessarily have a specific number, but think we would be very comfortable if my wife & I each have a million in retirement savings. In addition to owning a house worth ~$300,000, which seems likely at this point since our current house worth $220k (and climbing) will be paid for by age 50.

I'm not fully convinced we won't get ANYTHING in SS, but even counting on zero I think we'd have more than enough.

Serious question, why do you want your house to gain in value? Do you plan to move when you retire? I have my house listed at what we paid to build it. No updates or improvements. My house is about assessed for this and I wish it was assessed for 10k so I wouldn't have to pay so much in stinking property taxes. I will most likely move when my last kid graduates, figure I will take what I get to get out of this high tax town.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
If nothing else Ive resolved to go up my supplemental 401 this week.

if you are financially stable otherwise, have it automatically put in a bit more than you're comfortable with. You can always back it down later. I find that I tend to not notice it once it's gone.

Reactions: drmwevr08

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron